Priorities and moderation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians sometimes are slow to realize that their real riches are in Christ, not material things. How sad it is for the church today to be inundated with a prosperity emphasis in so many repetitious sermons.

One of the most revealing lessons in Scripture is found in Mark 10:17-27, where the rich man was encouraged to sell all he possessed, give the proceeds to the poor, and follow Jesus, which he refused to do.

From that chapter we find these words, “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.”

Those listening to Jesus, it states, were “astonished out of measure”. That’s some pretty profound dismay, especially if the disciples were thinking as so many do today, that gain is godliness.

No matter one’s state, rich or poor, or particular hurdle to overcome, we are all blessed by having been adopted as sons and daughters by God. How grateful we should be for our Father’s choice to not only send His Son to die for us, but to also send Paul to the Gentile world to spread the Good News of the gospel.

That world, most likely, consists of most of us here. Paul, writing to the Gentile Roman church, provided us with this statement:

Romans 8:32 , “ He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us ALL, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?”

The Lord asked Solomon, prior to his gaining of wealth, about his needs. Remember that? And what was his response?

2 Chronicles 1:10-12, Give me now wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people: for who can judge this thy people, that is so great?”

What was the Lord’s reply?

2 Chronicles 1:11, “And God said to Solomon, Because this was in thine heart, and thou hast not asked riches, wealth, or honour, nor the life of thine enemies, neither yet hast asked long life; but hast asked wisdom and knowledge for thyself, that thou mayest judge my people, over whom I have made thee king: Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honour, such as none of the kings have had that have been before thee, neither shall there any after thee have the like.”

Throughout his life, moderation was fine for Solomon.

Proverbs 30:8-9, “Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.”

Reactions: Episkopos