Promises, Pledges, & Commitments of Men

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
Has anyone noticed how some promises made are open-ended? What I mean is a promise made like being a good father can never really be finished as opposed to promising to take out the trash that day.And what about that promising to take out the trash that day? Why does one has to promise to do that? Why couldn't he answer, "yes"?James 4: 13Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: 14Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 15For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. 16But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. 17Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.What did Jesus say?Matthew 5: 33Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: 34But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: 35Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. 36Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. 37But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.Do note how He began the matter on how people of old time shall perform their oathe unto the Lord as required by the Law. If they make a vow, they have to do all of it or else they cannot say they had kept their vow.Numbers 30: 2If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth.Thus we read in verse 36 of Matthew 5 as to why Jesus was making a point about this matter in making vows that are His to keep like being a good father. Only the Lord can do His Work in man to enable him to be a good father. The question is, will the believer live by faith that He will, or will he attempt to resort to his own power in becoming a good father by making a promise to do so? The believer cannot do both. Either he gets the glory of keeping that promise thus making himself a good father or the Lord did it by the grace of God. The religious call of the day is to do God's work in you, but we have this saying:John 6: 28Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. John 2: 23Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. 24But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men, 25And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.If Jesus did not entrusted himself to those people at that time because he knew what was in man, thus we need not testify of man, then why do we speak of men in their commitments to Christ or their commitments to follow Christ? Why do we look to man made bondages to get men to follow Jesus by the flesh of keeping their commitments to Him?2 Corinthians 11: 19For ye suffer fools gladly, seeing ye yourselves are wise. 20For ye suffer, if a man bring you into bondage, if a man devour you, if a man take of you, if a man exalt himself, if a man smite you on the face. Galatians 3: 1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. 5He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 6Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. Philippians 1: 6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: 7Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace. 8For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. 9And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.Galatians 5: 1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. 2Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. 3For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. 5For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. And if circumcision is the smallest letter of the law in which if you do that, you have to do the whole Law, what is making a promise or commitment to God is? That is the biggest letter of the Law.Ecclesiastes 5: 1Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil. 2Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few. 3For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words. 4When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed. 5Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay. 6Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands? NOTE!! The work of thine hands... that is your promise ... your commitment which speaks of you... thus your glory.John 7: 18He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him. 19Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?What do men in keeping their commitment to Christ or the commitment to follow Christ has to boast about in the flesh over others? One can say.. that person was not as committed to the Lord as I was cause I did this or that. Or one could say that person was not fully committed and thus judged him as what? Not good enough? And here are those that boasts of promises in the Promise Keepers' program, creditting the difference in their lives to the promises they have "supposedly kept" but they are open ended and thus can never be finished.Matthew 15: 7Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, 8This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. 10And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: 11Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man....18But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20These are the things which defile a man:John 5: 31If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.Notice how John the Baptist bore witness after Jesus came in spite of the fact that he was the prophesied voice in the wilderness?John 3: 28Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him. 29He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30He must increase, but I must decrease.But too many believers answer the religious call to show how much they love the Lord.Romans 10: 2For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. 5For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them. But we are His workmanship in which no man may boast thus the just shall live by faith.Ephesians 2: 8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. 2 Corinthians 3: 4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: 5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; 6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.2 Corinthians 4: 5For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. 6For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 7But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.Philippians 3: 8Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings,....Psalm 100: 1Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. 2Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. 3Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. 4Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. 5For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.1 Corinthians 1: 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.Did Paul looked to leading believers in a man made bondage of "I will" to the Lord or did he rest in Jesus Christ to be Lord over them as He has placed their seal of adoption on them with the Holy Spirit?Romans 15: 15Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God, 16That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost. 17I have therefore whereof I may glory through Jesus Christ in those things which pertain to God. 18For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed, 19Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. Thus the just shall live by faith in His Covenant to us.Hebrews 8: 6But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. 7For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. 8For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: 9Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. 10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: 11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. 12For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. 13In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.Thus let us enter into that rest we have in the Lord from our religious strivings.Matthew 11:28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.Let us ask Jesus to set us free from that which only He can finish as we trust Him to help us bear true witness of our faith in Him.Hebrews 4: 9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. 12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.So let us live by faith by trusting the Lord in His promises to us to save us and to help us live as His. Even a child can do this, for all they can do is trust the Lord. Indeed, unless we receive the kingdom of God as a child, we shall in no wise enter therein and trust is the basis for all relationships.Mark 10:13And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. 14But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. 15Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. Psalm 118: 8It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.Proverbs 3: 5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. 7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.Proverbs 16: 9A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps. :study:

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
To Believers To Prayerfully Consider,Another verse that testifies against the commitments of men.John 1: 10He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

BroDave

Nov 5, 2007
:cross2:As a man I myself have tried to set standards that I believe in my heart that would be pleasing not only to me as a Christian but to my Lord. But in the face of reality, I still possess the sin nature in this sinful body and as a result of the battle between the Spirit and the flesh, I must admit that I constantly fall short of the man I would like to be. Yet in the strength of the Holy Spirit and the Lord I keep on going and know that ALL MY SINS ARE FORGIVEN! Paul speaks of this in Romans when he says "the things I don't want to do, I do. Then things I want to do I don't do." If Paul had this problem, we are no different. Having been a Promise Keeper for the past 12 years, I have learned that we are to never stop striving toward the goal yet knowing that we will always come up short in our human effort. It is only through the blood of Christ that God the Father sees me and all of us who are saved perfect.

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
Hi BroDave,
Having been a Promise Keeper for the past 12 years, I have learned that we are to never stop striving toward the goal yet knowing that we will always come up short in our human effort.
It saddens me to read this. Could you please read the first two posts again?If you speak of yourself as a Promise Keeper, are you not identifying by the works of the Law by keeping those promises?Are you not seeking to make yourself "good" by keeping those promises?Can you really say that you can finish any of those promises in this life time?The point here is that you are not standing fast in the liberty in which Christ has set us free because you have entered into the yoke of being a Promise Keeper. You are now trying to finish by the flesh what was begun by the Spirit. Where is your faith that He will finish it? When are you going to decrease in bearing witness of yourself so you can bear witness of your faith in Christ for what He is doing in your life because He promised it so FIRSt by the Covenant God made with us that He will do His work in us thus the just shall live by faith.. not by you promising it. How can you share in the testimony of Paul's of not having righteousness which is of the Law when you speak of yourself as a Promise Keeper? How can men not glory in men as promise keepers in Heaven if you are doing what God wants you do to by the deeds of the Law? If circumcision is the smallest letter of the Law.. what is making a promise to God is?You are already admitting that you are failing in being a Promise Keeper, so why not FULLY act on that faith that Jesus is the ONLY Real Promise Keeper so we can rest in Him to help us live as His thus.. we follow Him by faith in taking Him at His Word... thus by the grace of God, go you. Just confess that you cannot keep those promises and ask jsus to help you rest in His Covenant to us that He will do it because all He ask from you is to believe on Him.John 6: 28Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. You should no that no promise keepers are going to glory in themselves as promise keepers when they are not. It is by His promises and His righteousness that He is bringing us Home for which we shall glory in the Lord... and by the same token... it is by His promises that He is working in our lives for us to live as His as He is the Good Shepherd as well as the Saviour... that is how we get to know Him when we trust him to do his work in us. Thus we follow Him not by promises we cannot keep, but we follow Him by faith in that He will keep His in helping us live as His. That is how we bear testimony of Him when we speak of our faith, and not bearing testimony of man in their flesh. You cannot do both, for then, the world will only see the religious man, not Christ working in your life by faith. Cease being the promise keeper and declare your faith to the world that Jesus is the only real Promise Keeper as He will help you live as His. Amen.May the Lord help you to do even that as He did for me. Amen.