Psalm 37:4 Meaning

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Is this literally Saying that we get Desires in our Hearts, or does it say that it is only a desire to seek The Lord, and When the desire to seek God is met, do we only get that desire?

I Like to think that everything I always wanted for good will be granted in Heaven

Thegoodground

Nov 15, 2012
Inmate said:
Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Is this literally Saying that we get Desires in our Hearts, or does it say that it is only a desire to seek The Lord, and When the desire to seek God is met, do we only get that desire?

I Like to think that everything I always wanted for good will be granted in Heaven
Do you believe you go to Heaven when you die?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
The answer is in the verse itself.

What does it mean to delight oneself? It means to incline your heart towards something or someone, in this case, The Lord.

So, Desire the Lord with all your heart and He will grant you the desire of your heart, namely, Himself.

He is reinforcing the promise, I will never leave you or forsake you if you cleave to Me (paraphrase).

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Inmate said:

Another way to view it is IF you delight yourself in The Lord...He will place the proper (ie Godly) desires IN your heart. Therefore your desires will be Godly and will be granted.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
BigAnddy is right. I will just add that when you are delighting yourself in the Lord your will and desires have been brought into harmony with His will and desires, thus you will be asking according to His will instead of asking "amiss".

Jas_4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
Understood. Now I have given my life to Jesus completely. I pray all the time because I want to talk to Jesus like everyone else does. I want Jesus to speak to me, As long as I am on earth this is all I want, I gave up my earthly desires for Jesus. (No bragging intended) So when I get home to be with him, I may have some suprises right?

I am Not using him for desires, I literally Would Like to know Him as a Father

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
Inmate said:

All the promises of God are "Yes and Amen",
And the promises are ours on the basis that they have already been provided for us.
And God will never say NO, To the things He ha salready provided for us.

So if your hearts desire is to be healed, Then God has already provided it for you.
If your hearts desire is to have all your needs met, Then God has already provided it for you.
If your hearts desires is to have the victory over circumstances, Then God has already given us the power and authority to overcome and have the victory.

But there are some desires that are God given, Such as, He might give soemone a desire to go to another country to preach.
He might give someone a desire pray for a certain person or a certain situation.

Also if you are torn between two choices and you don't know which is the best for you,
If you lay all your desires down and say to God,
"Lord,, I give you all my own desires and will you help me to chose the right thing".

Then if you get no revelation as to what to chose, See what you desire, And that will be the perfect will of God for your life.

God will give you wisdom, And sometimes it comes by an inward desire, As God give you your herts desire.
The if you follow the desire, You will be blessed.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
Arnie Manitoba said:
This whole psalm is about evildoers versus good guys. Everything should be read in that context . The desires of our heart are good and eventually we win.
God says we ARE More than conquerors, NOT GOING TO BE EVENTUALLY.
God says we ALWAYS TRIUMPH, Not We will do eventually.
God say we are Victorious and overcomers, NOW.

And as we stand on the word, WE WIN.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Alanforchrist said:

that is a pretty big boast .... you could wither up and die tomorrow , so could i , our eventual payoff will be in the new heaven and earth for eternity .... it is not in the here and now ... yes our lives right now is much better (as christians) but that is not our ultimate goal (victory)

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Alanforchrist said:

For your statement to work it would require there not be any evil doers around us

You know .... like the ones mentioned in psalm 37