Purgatory

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In response to this comment by grandma dolittle in the “please stay away from the pope” thread, I promised her my understanding of Purgatory.

Mungo,
I would like to know the concept of purgatory. I want to know if what I have heard is correct or if I have had false info.

It’s rather long, so I’ll give a part 1 and wait for comments on that before moving onto part 2.

Can I ask that comments at this stage are confined to what I have actually said and not on what I haven’t yet said, otherwise we will go down many paths and never get to part 2.

There will be time later. Thanks

Purgatory – Part 1

Catholic belief:
"All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven." (CCC 1030)

“But nothing unclean will enter it” [The new Jerusalem – Heaven] (Rev 21:27)
Nothing unclean, that is with the stain of sin may enter heaven.

“You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Mt 5:48)
Nothing unclean may enter heaven so we need to be perfect to enter heaven.

“Strive for peace with all men, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord” (Heb 12;14)
Nothing unclean may enter heaven so we need to be holy to enter heaven.

If we are not wholly clean, perfect and holy there must be some process whereby we can be cleansed and made perfect and holy.

But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, and to the assembly of the first-born who are enrolled in heaven, and to a judge who is God of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect” (Heb 12:22-23)
This shows that there is a way, a process, whereby the spirits of just men are made perfect.

Catholics call this process Purgatory.

Purgatory
“early 13c., from M.L. purgatorium (St. Bernard, early 12c.), from L.L., "means of cleansing," prop. neut. of purgatorius (adj.) "purging, cleansing," from L. purgare (see purge).” (Online Etymology Dictionary)

Many Protestants call this Glorification.
“Glorification is the Protestant alternative to Purgatory, as it is "the means by which the elect receive perfection before entering into the kingdom of Heaven." According to the theologies of most major Protestant groups” (Wikipedia)

Purgatory is about sanctification. It is about the secondary consequences of sin not the primary consequence of sin. The primary consequence of sin is a rupture (partial or total) of communion with God. It the healing of that rupture that Jesus atoned for on the cross. It is the eternal punishment that he took upon himself.

We are born into a sinful condition. “Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.” (Psalm 51:5).

During our lives we pile sin upon sin. “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” (1Jn 1:8).

Or as St. Paul put it “Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I of myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.” (Rom 7:25)

Unless we do something about them these secondary consequences of sin accumulate and we are told that nothing unclean may enter heaven (Rev 21:27). We need to be cleansed or purged from the consequences of sin that affect us so that we may be fit to enter the presence of God.

Jesus dealt with the punishment for sin due to our offence against God. But when we sin we also damage ourselves because we fall into patterns of sin.

Love never ends says St. Paul (1 Cor 13:8). In heaven what else will there be. “So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.. (1 Cor 13:13), and in heaven there will be no need of faith for we will be in the presence of God; there will be no need for hope because we will have attained all that we hoped for.

All that we will need is perfect love, and indeed nothing else. All else besides love, that which detracts from love, that is less than love must be left behind. There can be no anger, hate, lust, greed, jealousy, pride, covetousness, or any such thing. It is not enough to “cover up” such things, they must be expunged.

This can appear as punishment but it would be better to regard it as God’s discipline.

“It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers to discipline us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time at their pleasure, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant; later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.” (Heb 12:7-11).

“Having been disciplined a little, they will receive great good, because God tested them and found them worthy of himself; like gold in the furnace he tried them, and like a sacrificial burnt offering he accepted them.” (Wis 3:5-6)

Purgatory is seen as a purification process where the disorders in us caused by sin are healed, where the lingering attachments to sin, such as pride, anger lust etc., and “bad attitudes” are cleared out, so that we can be pure and holy and fit to be in the presence of God. It is God’s mercy to allow us to be purified before we enter his presence, as we could not bear to be in his presence unless we are pure and holy.

Any questions so far?

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." - Matt.25:41

-- Nothing about "see you later" or "once you have been purified we will talk again".

"And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment," - Hebrews 9:27

-- Nothing about judgement being "rehabilitation and then eventual parole."

Purgatory is a man-made concept born out of misunderstanding and wishful thinking. Nothing more.

grandma dolittle

May 23, 2012
Missouri
In a perfect world there would be no sin. But, we do not live in a perfect world and we do sin daily. I know God dicplines us because I have had it several times and wondered why things happened the way they did. A friend gave me a good analogy. He said I was a piece of steel and God was not satisfied with me so he stuck me in the furnace so he could shape me into what he wants me to be. The shaping is a life long process because when I become true steel, then I will enter heaven. Now, when anything happens, I smile and (as Paul said to do) I say thank you Lord, for caring enough about me to stick me back into the furnace. I know I am not without sin, that is why when the Holy Sprit nudges me that I have said, done, or thought something wrong, I beg forgiveness. But, as a minister said this morning, repetition of the same sin means we are not truly repenting.

It would be wonderful to believe in purgatory. I had a brother who was my best friend. He was an alcoholic and honery. He died of cancer. My uncle talked to him about his soul, but I do not know if he repented or not. It would be nice to think he was in purgatory and I would see him again someday, but I can't. I respect your faith and thank you for this post. I look forward to reading the rest.
grandma

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." - Matt.25:41

-- Nothing about "see you later" or "once you have been purified we will talk again".

"And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment," - Hebrews 9:27

-- Nothing about judgement being "rehabilitation and then eventual parole."

Purgatory is a man-made concept born out of misunderstanding and wishful thinking. Nothing more.

Foreigner, you wrote the following: "“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." - Matt.25:41

The reason being is because Jesus was speaking to those sinners that will be sent directly to hell not into Purgatory. In hell one never gets out. Purgatory is a place you will go for 'cleansing ' for nother unclean shall enter heaven. If a soul ends up in Purgatory the next step will be heaven. It was always explained in this way to all early Christians and has always been taught by Christ's apostles and their successors, it only changed with the protesters against God's Church during the Prostestant Reformation because it was too Catholic and they could justify its non-existance if they extracted the seven Books from the Holy Bible. and Luther wanted so much to extract the Book of James [ calling it a "book of straws" ] because of its support for the sacrament of purgatory.. It was not the Catholic Church that added the doctrine of purgatory . Rather, any change in the original teaching has taken place in the Protestant churches, which rejected a doctrine that had always been believed by Jews and Christians.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
In a perfect world there would be no sin. But, we do not live in a perfect world and we do sin daily. I know God dicplines us because I have had it several times and wondered why things happened the way they did. A friend gave me a good analogy. He said I was a piece of steel and God was not satisfied with me so he stuck me in the furnace so he could shape me into what he wants me to be. The shaping is a life long process because when I become true steel, then I will enter heaven. Now, when anything happens, I smile and (as Paul said to do) I say thank you Lord, for caring enough about me to stick me back into the furnace. I know I am not without sin, that is why when the Holy Sprit nudges me that I have said, done, or thought something wrong, I beg forgiveness. But, as a minister said this morning, repetition of the same sin means we are not truly repenting.

It would be wonderful to believe in purgatory. I had a brother who was my best friend. He was an alcoholic and honery. He died of cancer. My uncle talked to him about his soul, but I do not know if he repented or not. It would be nice to think he was in purgatory and I would see him again someday, but I can't. I respect your faith and thank you for this post. I look forward to reading the rest.
grandma

Purgatory is God's mercy to those Christians who died before they could have the chance to repent of their sins. It's true that we don't live in a perfect world, and you are correct that we sin daily. Accidents happen everyday, and we never know when God will call us home. If a Christian suddenly died with some small sin in their soul before they had the chance to repent, we believe that they are cleansed from their sins in Purgatory before they can enter Heaven. Purgatory means "purging of sins". It means to cleanse a person of their sins. One Protestant friend told me that our Purgatory sounds similar to her belief. She believes that as the soul journeys closer and closer to Heaven, their soul is cleanse of all impurities because as the Bible says, "No sin can enter Heaven."

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Purgatory is only for people who are saved. Nothing evil (broken) can enter Heaven. Purgatory is poorly defined by the Church - it could be anything from a refining fire to Dante's depiction or more.....

All I know is that we need to be fully redeemed before we enter Heaven.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Purgatory is only for people who are saved. Nothing evil (broken) can enter Heaven. Purgatory is poorly defined by the Church - it could be anything from a refining fire to Dante's depiction or more.....

Truely redeemed while living any way we choose....except not paying enough taxes or making too much money as defined by the nearest liberal. or government agency...but i repeat myself.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
keep clanging Strat - apparently it is your special gift.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your ego has far surpassed your intelligence - I can argue with a 5 year old in real life, I came here to have discussions with adults - you are now being ignored coward - clang your gong to those who will listen.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Indeed the Church officially does not define any detail about Purgatory. Apart from the quote I gave in the OP the Catechism adds this:

"The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned. The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire." (CCC 1031)

Let me progress to part 2 of my understanding of Purgatory and the scriptural basis for it.

The above quote from the Catechism refers to "cleansing fire"

“thou didst let men ride over our heads; we went through fire [i.e. purgatory] and through water [i.e. baptism]; yet thou hast brought us forth to a spacious place.”. (Psalm 66:12)

“when the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion and cleansed the bloodstains of Jerusalem from its midst by a spirit of judgment and by a spirit of burning [purgatory].” (Isaiah 4,4)

1Cor 3:10-17 is an important passage
10 “According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and another man is building upon it. Let each man take care how he builds upon it.”
11 “For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.”
12 “Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—“
13 “each man's work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.”
14 “If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward.”
15 “If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.”
16 “Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?”
17 “If any one destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and that temple you are.”

In verses 10-13 Paul says that when we die our work will be judged. That work is both our good works and our bad works (sins) and that there will be reward or punishment according to these works.
Verse 14 is someone whose work stands. These are the good works, and those with only good works will go straight to heaven.
Verse 15 is someone whose works are burnt up (because they are bad) but the person themselves will be saved. The works (sins) were not serious enough to cut themselves off from God.
Verses 15-16 describe someone whose works are so bad that they have destroyed the temple where God dwells (their souls) and cut themselves off from God. God will destroy the person.

Now consider the second case

Where or how can someone suffer loss as though fire but still be saved? There is something other than heaven or hell through which we can pass.

There are other texts that speak of this purifying fire:
“But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears? "For he is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap.” (Mal 3:2-3)

“In this you rejoice, though now for a little while you may have to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold which though perishable is tested by fire, may redound to praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” (1Pet 1:6-7)

In my OP I mentioned that (according to Wikipedia) most major protestant groups have a similar concept but call it Glorification.

It's also worth noting that the Jews have a similar concept.
“According to Judaism, the purifying process that a sullied soul undergoes to cleanse it from its spiritual uncleanliness is a temporary one, and is restorative in its intent, and not punitive, as many mistakenly believe. Ultimately, all Jews have portion in the World to Come, as do Righteous Gentiles, non-Jews who observe the Seven Noahide Commandments.” (see this link http://www.chabad.or....-teachings.htm

Orthodox Jewish practices, which branched off from the Old Testament religion, to this day reflect belief in this "place" of final purification which they call Gehenom: when an Orthodox Jewish person dies, a ritual called the taharah is performed by the "Chevra kaddisha -- gmilat khessed shel emet," the "Holy Society" or "Burial Society" of Jews knowledgeable in these traditional duties. They cleanse and prepare the physical body and recite the required prayers (Chevra Kadisha) which ask God for forgiveness for any sins the departed may have committed, and beg Him to guard and grant eternal peace to the departed. For eleven months after the death of a loved one certain members of the family pray a prayer called the Mourner's Qaddish (or Kaddish) for their loved one's purification.
Even the The Talmud1 speaks of Purgatory: Sabbath 33b:
"The judgment of the wicked in purgatory is twelve months."
Rosh HaShanah 16b-17a:
"It has been taught that the school of Shammai says: "There will be three groups on Judgment Day (yom haDin):
(1) one that is completely righteous,
(2) one that is completely wicked,
(3) and one that is in between."

Rabbi Shammai (50 BC - AD 30), one of the two main teachers of early rabbinical Judaism, also is on record as having interpreted Zechariah 13:9 as referring to a state of purification after death. Isaiah 66:15-16 and Malachi 3:2-3 were also interpreted in rabbinic literature as referring to the purgatorial process.

grandma dolittle

May 23, 2012
Missouri
Mungo,
Thank you very much. I need to do some praying and studying. I have learned much from you. I like to know about other's beliefs so that I can more understand them and where they are coming from when they make statements. I was raised a Free Will Baptist and we believe each person has a free will to either accept Jesus or reject him. There is no middle ground. I believe that when I die, if I am clean of sin, my body will revert back to dust, but my spirit will go to be with other saints in heaven. To be clean of sin, I must ask forgiveness of any action, word spoken, or thought that was not Christ-like. I talk to God often during the day, in fact if you followed me around, you might think I was senile (which my doctor assures me I am not) . We believe asking forgiveness is important because any disobedience to God will keep us out of heaven as Moses was denied entry to the Holy Land because he disobed God.

I enjoy my relationship with God and am at peace. If you enjoy your relationship and are at peace, I am happy for you and i will see you in Heaven. God bless you and thank you for your paitence and taking the time to explain to me.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Mungo,
Thank you very much. I need to do some praying and studying. I have learned much from you. I like to know about other's beliefs so that I can more understand them and where they are coming from when they make statements. I was raised a Free Will Baptist and we believe each person has a free will to either accept Jesus or reject him. There is no middle ground. I believe that when I die, if I am clean of sin, my body will revert back to dust, but my spirit will go to be with other saints in heaven. To be clean of sin, I must ask forgiveness of any action, word spoken, or thought that was not Christ-like. I talk to God often during the day, in fact if you followed me around, you might think I was senile (which my doctor assures me I am not) . We believe asking forgiveness is important because any disobedience to God will keep us out of heaven as Moses was denied entry to the Holy Land because he disobed God.

I enjoy my relationship with God and am at peace. If you enjoy your relationship and are at peace, I am happy for you and i will see you in Heaven. God bless you and thank you for your paitence and taking the time to explain to me.

God bless you grandma dolittle,

Thank you being open to my comments.

I am always ready to give an explanantion for the hope that is in me (see 1Pet 3:15)

Mungo

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Truely redeemed while living any way we choose....except not paying enough taxes or making too much money as defined by the nearest liberal. or government agency...but i repeat myself.

Oh,that was indeed a witty one...what a sharp mind you have...please enthrall me with more of your witty wit witty liberal.

Keep whinning apostate

Strat, will you PLEASE just give...it...a...rest!

You started this unprovoked attack on him.
Aspen wasn't even talking to you when you attacked.
And you didn't even PRETEND that your attack had anything at all to do with the topic at hand.

Grow up.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am learning a great deal from you Mungo, as well - thanks for the study

I think Strat got my goat - you can keep it Strat. I gave into your provoking and I apologize.

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Purgatory is certainly appealing to reason, or we must admit that good people like gandhi, Buddha went to hell.

I am learning a great deal from you Mungo, as well - thanks for the study

I think Strat got my goat - you can keep it Strat. I gave into your provoking and I apologize.

I think he likes you.