question about SAMUEL verse

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

poetboy

Jul 2, 2007
19And it was told Saul, saying, Behold, David is at Naioth in Ramah. 20And Saul sent messengers to take David: and when they saw the company of the prophets prophesying, and Samuel standing as appointed over them, the Spirit of God was upon the messengers of Saul, and they also prophesied. 21And when it was told Saul, he sent other messengers, and they prophesied likewise. And Saul sent messengers again the third time, and they prophesied also. 22Then went he also to Ramah, and came to a great well that is in Sechu: and he asked and said, Where are Samuel and David? And one said, Behold, they be at Naioth in Ramah. 23And he went thither to Naioth in Ramah: and the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on, and prophesied, until he came to Naioth in Ramah. 24And he stripped off his clothes also, and prophesied before Samuel in like manner, and lay down naked all that day and all that night. Wherefore they say, Is Saul also among the prophets?There was also another verse somewhere before when saul was first anointed king by samuel, where he was prophesying.ok so i have three questions:1) In this verse, does anyone know why they were naked? and was this a normal thing. Is this how they prophesied on the regular? I mean, those times, is this how ALL the prophets prophesied?my stipulation is that this was a certain occasion, and im assuming it was ceremonious. 2) what exactly were they prophesying?The coming of the lord, as usual, repentance i guess.3) why did Saul's messengers fall into prophesying? and why did Saul himself fall into prophesying, did they not go to kill David?I believe, the presence of the holy spirit being there convicted them into prophesying, and it was God's will to prevent them from finding David.other insight is well recommended.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
The evil spirit in Saul had come to kill David this was against Gods plan to have David rulethe clothes he striped off were his royal garmets it was symbolicHe was prophesising the Word of GodI Samuel 19:18 "So David fled, and escaped, and came to Samuel to Ramah, and told him all that Saul had done to him. And he and Samuel went and dwelt in Naioth."Remember from a prior chapter that Ramah was the place that Samuel had for training prophets. This is where David fled for safety. Naioth is the college located at Ramah, so Samuel and David went to stay at Naioth [the school]. I Samuel 19:19 "And it was told Saul, saying, "Behold, David is at Naioth in Ramah."I Samuel 19:20 "And Saul sent messengers to take David: and when they saw the company of prophets prophesying, and Samuel standing as appointed over them, the Spirit of God was upon the messengers of Saul, and they also prophesied."The Spirit of God is the Holy Spirit, and this is given to show us how God can protect his own. God caused the Holy Spirit to come upon these messengers of Saul, and their words became just as the prophets were. God turned the enemies of David into witnesses and protectors of David. I Samuel 19:21 "And when it was told Saul, he sent other messengers, and they prophesied likewise. And Saul sent messengers again the third time, and they prophesied also."When Saul heard what had happened at Ramah, he sent other messengers, and in these additional times the same thing had happened. Saul people were turning to David's side and the Spirit of God was filling all those that came against David. I Samuel 19:22 "Then went he also to Ramah, and came to a great well that is in Sechu: and he asked and said, "Where are Samuel and David?" And one said, "Behold, they be at Naaioth in Ramah."I Samuel 19:23 "And he went thither to Naioth in Ramah: and the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on, and prophesied, until he came to Naioth in Ramah."When Saul went himself to do harm to David, God took over Saul, for when the Spirit of God is present, all evil spirits will flee. So now God has Saul prophesing again, just as he was doing prior to becoming king, when he was roaming the country side looking for his asses. God can protect us by changing the minds of people who would be our enemy, to make them speak words in our defense. I Samuel 19:24 "And he stripped off his clothes also, and prophesied before Samuel in like manner, and lay down naked all that day and all that night. Wherefore they say, "Is Saul also among the prophets?"What a change that came over Saul, for he stripped himself of his royal clothing and lay naked before God and all the prophets. It didn't take long for such a thing to get spread among the people. God changed Saul's mind to protect David, because David was the one that the Christ would be born through. It was in the plan of God to have David rise to the throne, and the produce the lineage that Jesus would come through.