Reckless Decisions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tuesday 9-20-22 3rd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Elul 23 5782 92nd. Summer Day

Reckless Decisions
odb20220920.jpg

Read: Numbers 20:1–12 | Bible in a Year: Ecclesiastes 4–6; 2 Corinthians 12
Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Because you did not trust in me . . . , you will not bring this community into the land. Numbers 20:12

As a teen, I was driving way too fast trying to follow my friend to his home after a high school basketball practice. It was raining hard, and I was having a hard time keeping up with his car.

Suddenly, my wipers cleared the watery windshield only to reveal my friend’s sedan stopped in front of me! I slammed on the brakes, slid off the street, and struck a large tree. My car was destroyed. Later I awoke in the comatose ward of a local hospital. While by God’s grace I survived, my reckless ways had proved to be very costly.

Moses made a reckless decision that cost him greatly. His poor choice, however, involved a lack of water—not too much of it (as in my case). The Israelites were without water in the Desert of Zin, and “the people gathered in opposition to Moses” (Numbers 20:2).

God told the frazzled leader to speak to a rock and it would “pour out its water” (v. 8). Instead, he “struck the rock twice” (v. 11). God said, “Because you did not trust in me . . . , you will not [enter the promised land]” (v. 12).

When we make reckless decisions, we pay the consequences. “Desire without knowledge is not good—how much more will hasty feet miss the way!” (Proverbs 19:2). May we prayerfully, carefully seek God’s wisdom and guidance in the choices and decisions we make today.

What regrettable decisions have you made based on impulse? Why is it vital to slow down and prayerfully seek God’s wisdom before reacting?

Jesus, please help me to follow Your wise instruction as Your Spirit leads me.

For further study, read Making Decisions God's Way

INSIGHT

It’s sometimes debated why Moses was judged so harshly when frustration against the Israelites after decades of their frequent rebellion is understandable (Numbers 20:10–20). One interpretation is that Moses’ words (“must we bring you water” v. 10) seemed to take the credit for the miracle himself, almost like pagan magicians might portray themselves as having godlike powers.

Another interpretation is that his question was rhetorical, implying he didn’t believe God could or would provide water from a rock. Yet what we know is that God said Moses failed to “trust in [Him] enough to honor [Him] as holy in the sight of the Israelites” (v. 12).

By Our Daily Bread |September 20th, 2022

Decision Making Numbers Twenty:1-12

Then came the children of Israel, even the whole congregation, into the desert of Zin in the first month: and the people abode in Kadesh; and Miriam died there, and was buried there.

2 And there was no water for the congregation: and they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron.

3 And the people chode with Moses, and spake, saying, Would God that we had died when our brethren died before the Lord!

4 And why have ye brought up the congregation of the Lord into this wilderness, that we and our cattle should die there?

5 And wherefore have ye made us to come up out of Egypt, to bring us in unto this evil place? it is no place of seed, or of figs, or of vines, or of pomegranates; neither is there any water to drink.

6 And Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they fell upon their faces: and the glory of the Lord appeared unto them.

7 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

8 Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink.

9 And Moses took the rod from before the Lord, as he commanded him.

10 And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?

11 And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.

12 And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:
Reactions: APAK

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Tuesday 9-20-22 3rd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Elul 23 5782 92nd. Summer Day

Reckless Decisions
odb20220920.jpg

Read: Numbers 20:1–12 | Bible in a Year: Ecclesiastes 4–6; 2 Corinthians 12
Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Because you did not trust in me . . . , you will not bring this community into the land. Numbers 20:12

As a teen, I was driving way too fast trying to follow my friend to his home after a high school basketball practice. It was raining hard, and I was having a hard time keeping up with his car.

Suddenly, my wipers cleared the watery windshield only to reveal my friend’s sedan stopped in front of me! I slammed on the brakes, slid off the street, and struck a large tree. My car was destroyed. Later I awoke in the comatose ward of a local hospital. While by God’s grace I survived, my reckless ways had proved to be very costly.

Moses made a reckless decision that cost him greatly. His poor choice, however, involved a lack of water—not too much of it (as in my case). The Israelites were without water in the Desert of Zin, and “the people gathered in opposition to Moses” (Numbers 20:2).

God told the frazzled leader to speak to a rock and it would “pour out its water” (v. 8). Instead, he “struck the rock twice” (v. 11). God said, “Because you did not trust in me . . . , you will not [enter the promised land]” (v. 12).

When we make reckless decisions, we pay the consequences. “Desire without knowledge is not good—how much more will hasty feet miss the way!” (Proverbs 19:2). May we prayerfully, carefully seek God’s wisdom and guidance in the choices and decisions we make today.

What regrettable decisions have you made based on impulse? Why is it vital to slow down and prayerfully seek God’s wisdom before reacting?

Jesus, please help me to follow Your wise instruction as Your Spirit leads me.

For further study, read Making Decisions God’s Way.

INSIGHT

It’s sometimes debated why Moses was judged so harshly when frustration against the Israelites after decades of their frequent rebellion is understandable (Numbers 20:10–20). One interpretation is that Moses’ words (“must we bring you water” v. 10) seemed to take the credit for the miracle himself, almost like pagan magicians might portray themselves as having godlike powers.

Another interpretation is that his question was rhetorical, implying he didn’t believe God could or would provide water from a rock. Yet what we know is that God said Moses failed to “trust in [Him] enough to honor [Him] as holy in the sight of the Israelites” (v. 12).

By Our Daily Bread |September 20th, 2022

Decision Making Numbers Twenty:1-12

Then came the children of Israel, even the whole congregation, into the desert of Zin in the first month: and the people abode in Kadesh; and Miriam died there, and was buried there.

2 And there was no water for the congregation: and they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron.

3 And the people chode with Moses, and spake, saying, Would God that we had died when our brethren died before the Lord!

4 And why have ye brought up the congregation of the Lord into this wilderness, that we and our cattle should die there?

5 And wherefore have ye made us to come up out of Egypt, to bring us in unto this evil place? it is no place of seed, or of figs, or of vines, or of pomegranates; neither is there any water to drink.

6 And Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they fell upon their faces: and the glory of the Lord appeared unto them.

7 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

8 Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink.

9 And Moses took the rod from before the Lord, as he commanded him.

10 And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?

11 And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.

12 And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie
After reading this earlier today I wondered how many times the LORD has spoken to me and I have either not heard, ignored or assumed it was just me.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we haste to make a decision with the best intentions in mind of our own will and heart, and we omit our Father's desires at that moment, we can not only waste our time, we lose our focus in who we should be depending upon. And in so doing we can become sorrowful and regretful of the outcome of our actions, with the possibility of losing a life and hurting people in the process as your OP indicates.

We must learn to periodically refocus and shift and refresh our minds and life-styles in sincere and deep prayer towards our one Father and his Son, and approach in praise and thanksgiving for the transformational work he is doing in our lives by his Son. This is what our Father desires, and to not engage our will so quickly ahead of his, even in moments and matters that seen such mundane and trivial to us. Like saying to ourselves: 'I got this' and we really don't!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After reading this earlier today I wondered how many times the LORD has spoken to me and I have either not heard, ignored or assumed it was just me.
Hi Pearl, It is to me like this all the time when I'm taking heed of myself in have I really acknowledged Him in ALL my ways before I would hurt myself or someone else.

Love, Walter

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Pearl, It is to me like this all the time when I'm taking heed of myself in have I really acknowledged Him in ALL my ways before I would hurt myself or someone else.

Love, Walter
In a way I suppose that is a sign of growing maturity do you think?

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we haste to make a decision with the best intentions in mind of our own will and heart, and we omit our Father's desires at that moment, we can not only waste our time, we lose our focus in who we should be depending upon. And in so doing we can become sorrowful and regretful of the outcome of our actions, with the possibility of losing a life and hurting people in the process as your OP indicates.

We must learn to periodically refocus and shift and refresh our minds and life-styles in sincere and deep prayer towards our one Father and his Son, and approach in praise and thanksgiving for the transformational work he is doing in our lives by his Son. This is what our Father desires, and to not engage our will so quickly ahead of his, even in moments and matters that seen such mundane and trivial to us. Like saying to ourselves: 'I got this' and we really don't!
Hi APAK, While listening to this story I first thought of decision-making is really is suppose to be being of good courage, and waiting upon the Lord, with this in mind with the Father and His Son, He can strengthen our hearts.

Love, Walter and Debbie

Reactions: APAK

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen!

Love, Walter