Recognizing Interpretive Bias

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is above correction. I think everyone here agrees with this. Yet when it comes to our own deep-seated religious views, the acceptance of correction and the ability to step back and question our beliefs seems to be lacking. We approach Scripture, theology and even worship with implicit biases in favor of our own mindset. Sometimes the clues to changing our views are staring us in the face, yet we can't process them because of that mindset.

When folks still believed the Earth was flat, no doubt some of them took their spyglasses and stood on the shore watching ships sail toward the horizon. Through their spyglasses they would have noticed that as a ship sailed farther away, there came a time when they could still see its sails but not its stern, which disappeared first over the horizon. They did not infer a curved Earth from this perception because of a preconceived false notion: they all experienced gravity as the force that (on their necessarily small local frame of reference) appeared to impel objects “straight down” rather than “toward the center of an orb.” Their notion of the direction “down” was not relative to one’s position on the Earth; it was an absolute. They were accordingly certain that the sailors who were sailing out of sight would point to “down” exactly parallel to the direction they themselves would point while standing on the shore. And, of course, they were wrong.

How can we overcome implicit bias, and shake the "certainty" we cling to so tenaciously, in order to welcome correction where it is justified? Who has some thoughts on this?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@RedFan
Pr 21:2Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.
But if the Spirit truly leads us... then?

Ro 8:14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
But what happens if a man regularly quenches the Spirit of God? That it is possible to do so seems evident to me according to my experience and Paul's warning here:

1th 5:19Quench not the Spirit.
How does one stop quenching the Spirit? How about asking God for help every day and in every moment of need:
Mt 7:7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Mt 7:8For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Reactions: Mr E

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks. But wouldn't you agree that two people with diametrically opposed posts on this site will sometimes each claim to be led by the Spirit? And neither will back down regardless of what the other posts? That strikes me as evidence that at least one of them has implicit bias he/she can't shake.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can we overcome implicit bias, and shake the "certainty" we cling to so tenaciously, in order to welcome correction where it is justified? Who has some thoughts on this?
It's one of those things that have to come from within the individual. One has to embrace Christ as Lord and put him and truth ahead of our own interests.

And then it comes down to experience obeying the Lord in disagreements with others, admitting when we're obviously wrong. There are many matters in which our being wrong is beyond debate, such as when we insist it's Wednesday and discover it's only Tuesday. We have to learn to apologize even to those who use the occasion to humiliate us.

It also has to do with responsibility in seeking out facts, or doing research. If we don't look to check our facts we won't likely accept the word of others that there is evidence against a position we hold to. We have to be responsible and diligent people. Some may simply not choose to be diligent in the matter of study.

We also have to learn patience, and not expect that others will accept our word for anything--not even if what we say is actually led by God. We have to trust that if we say something "in the Spirit" it is "on God" to bring that word to fruition.

And so we learn not to judge others too quickly, and to be patient, allowing sufficient time for consideration. This could involve many years.

It's very tempting to lose patience, to judge, to name call, to insult, in order to coerce someone to agree, to sort of "wake them up" to their ludicrous resistance to truth. But doing this just hurts the testimony about what we say. If the content of the matter is to be trusted, it must be delivered properly, or risk being rejected for personal reasons.

Reactions: RedFan

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks. But wouldn't you agree that two people with diametrically opposed posts on this site will sometimes each claim to be led by the Spirit? And neither will back down regardless of what the other posts? That strikes me as evidence that at least one of them has implicit bias he/she can't shake.
Everyone is like that in some measure until and if they by the Holy Spirit have overcome completely whatever their problem is. Who can name names [of those who are right or wrong in God's eyes] based on what he is able to see/understand?

You don't see me participating much in the arguments here... although once I certainly did... and do.

Sometimes it is best to be quiet. Jesus did this.

Ec 3:1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

Ec 3:7...a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

Mt 12:36But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Mt 12:37For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Mt 27:13Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee?
Mt 27:14And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly
Certainly, Jesus always had words which he was able to speak, but sometimes he refrained. He knew God's will, but do we? Are we better or more knowledge than Jesus?

If we are always led by the Spirit will we not like Jesus at times need to be silent? Consider Jesus here:

Mt 22:46 And no man was able to answer him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions.

Jesus had silenced them. Perhaps he was always able to do that... but he knew when it was time to be quiet. Do we? I almost always have an opinion, but do I always know when to share it or when to withhold it? If we have the Holy Spirit in us, we should know. If we are uncertain perhaps we not rather be quiet? Maybe I am a fool, but... remember what Solomon wrote about fools:

Pr 17:28Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.
Am I sometimes a fool? There are many times that I have been in my own history. I am still learning.
What a mighty God we serve! Let us give Him the glory!

Last edited:
Reactions: RedFan

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It also has to do with responsibility in seeking out facts, or doing research. If we don't look to check our facts we won't likely accept the word of others that there is evidence against a position we hold to. We have to be responsible and diligent people. Some may simply not choose to be diligent in the matter of study.
Amen to that! Fact-checking is essential, if not always easy. (Some of us have greater access to evidence than others. Some of us have educational backgrounds and experiential talents that others don't have.)

Reactions: Randy Kluth

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As has always been the case, God's true people is not an ideological anarchy.

In the people of God there is a group of people who must serve to help understand the truths revealed to the rest. In the time of Israel they were priests, judges, prophets and kings. In Christian times they were the elders and apostles, who established the fundamental truths based on what they received from Jesus and the help of the holy spirit that they received directly from heaven. The rest of the Christians could not invent beliefs as if they were truths; nor could they contradict the things they received. When they began to do that, the true faith was drowned in religious apostasy.

People who do not recognize that they must follow instructions from others are incapable of obeying God whom they cannot even see. Their mind will continually deceive them, as well as external influences that will take them from one place to another like waves that the wind moves where it wants. These internal and external influences will lead them to have erroneous personal interpretations, and they will continue in that cycle of continuous deception as long as they do not accept instructions from those who Jesus truly appointed over those he does direct from heaven.

Not everyone who says he is a "Christian" is in the people Jesus leads... especially if this person instructs himself with his own ideas.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is above correction. I think everyone here agrees with this. Yet when it comes to our own deep-seated religious views, the acceptance of correction and the ability to step back and question our beliefs seems to be lacking. We approach Scripture, theology and even worship with implicit biases in favor of our own mindset. Sometimes the clues to changing our views are staring us in the face, yet we can't process them because of that mindset.

When folks still believed the Earth was flat, no doubt some of them took their spyglasses and stood on the shore watching ships sail toward the horizon. Through their spyglasses they would have noticed that as a ship sailed farther away, there came a time when they could still see its sails but not its stern, which disappeared first over the horizon. They did not infer a curved Earth from this perception because of a preconceived false notion: they all experienced gravity as the force that (on their necessarily small local frame of reference) appeared to impel objects “straight down” rather than “toward the center of an orb.” Their notion of the direction “down” was not relative to one’s position on the Earth; it was an absolute. They were accordingly certain that the sailors who were sailing out of sight would point to “down” exactly parallel to the direction they themselves would point while standing on the shore. And, of course, they were wrong.

The earth isn't flat?

• Haha
Reactions: marks

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to break the news to you!
Honestly though I follow the Holy Spirit which all born again Christians have to guide us. And the entire bible is correct as far as I can tell. Arguing with people that don't accept the bible in its entirety is futile. Something I've learned over the years on Christian forums.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly though I follow the Holy Spirit which all born again Christians have to guide us. And the entire bible is correct as far as I can tell. Arguing with people that don't accept the bible in its entirety is futile. Something I've learned over the years on Christian forums.
And most of the people if not all of them that do not accept the entire bible come from all the various man led churches.