regret vs repent

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
should i regret? and repent or just repent? regret brings too much sorrow repenting is moving on and learned the lessons or having fear on not doing it again or regretting is essential?

in my native language those two are two different things

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
should i regret? and repent or just repent? regret brings too much sorrow repenting is moving on and learned the lessons or having fear on not doing it again or regretting is essential?

Show the same emotion you would want others to show you when seeking your forgiveness.

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The first one, regret, may simply be being sorry that you got caught doing evil or that you had to give up doing evil. The second is as you say 'moving on' but it also means 'turning around' or 'changing your ways'. When a person really repents of something before God his intention is to leave that thing behind and never do it again or even to look back at it yearning for it. This is much easier to say or to describe than it is to do. God knows this better than we do... and He will help us if we sincerely want to change or to be changed to put our repentance into effect from this moment forward.

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

"Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." Acts 2:37-39

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regret leads to repent.

Regret is a desire to have made different choices in your past. It doesn't have anything to do with current choices. (But it can) It is only an emotion

Repent means to turn around and go another way. It is an action. It isn't necessarily tied with emotions.

Meaning if you are a tattoo artist and regret having such a career choice...that's solely an emotional response.

If you repent of being a tattoo artist you get a different job. That's actions.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

regret or repent. Good question. Regret can become self pity (in my experience). A whining pity party (speaking of myself here) where it isn’t the actions that are regretted but the outcome of those actions becomes a root of bitterness. maybe the difference in regret or repent is self-pity in the outcome yet continually justifying the actions. Luke 23:40-41 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? [41] And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
The first one, regret, may simply be being sorry that you got caught doing evil or that you had to give up doing evil. The second is as you say 'moving on' but it also means 'turning around' or 'changing your ways'. When a person really repents of something before God his intention is to leave that thing behind and never do it again or even to look back at it yearning for it. This is much easier to say or to describe than it is to do. God knows this better than we do... and He will help us if we sincerely want to change or to be changed to put our repentance into effect from this moment forward.

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

"Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." Acts 2:37-39

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6
but i have a mood disorder just like a paper plane it will not land on the same spot but will land all over the place

having this disorder won't God let me be because of free will it was my choice my mood changes i may be sincere an hour ago but now it's different

and yes sorry was talking about regret and repent but here i am talking about my sickness this is tge exact example of my illness

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mayflower

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but i have a mood disorder just like a paper plane it will not land on the same spot but will land all over the place

We all have a disorder of some kind. We all need God’s help. When we let go of the worries of this life we begin to heal through Christ.

Matthew 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

Perfect peace comes from keeping our mind on God through Christ.

Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Otherwise we fall into the trap of battling the evil inside of us; Satan using it to his advantage against us.

Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

having this disorder won't God let me be because of free will it was my choice my mood changes i may be sincere an hour ago but now it's different

and yes sorry was talking about regret and repent but here i am talking about my sickness this is tge exact example of my illness
As @Michiah-Imla said, we all have a disorder or some kind. God knows about our disorders better than we do. Trust in Him. Eventually, hopefully each of us can come to trust in Him more than we do in ourselves. The impossible for you and for me... is not impossible for God... unless we block Him. God won't force us to walk toward Him instead of away from Him.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
As @Michiah-Imla said, we all have a disorder or some kind. God knows about our disorders better than we do. Trust in Him. Eventually, hopefully each of us can come to trust in Him more than we do in ourselves. The impossible for you and for me... is not impossible for God... unless we block Him. God won't force us to walk toward Him instead of away from Him.
yes i am blocking him thank you