Religious Facade Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should we not counsel against gathering for our own religious purposes rather than simply gathering really "In His Name"? How many of the folk who attend church services regularly even know what it means to be "In His Name"? When they don't know should it not be most important for those in ministerial positions to help them understand? Why else should we gathering? Would not the most important thing be for Jesus to be there in the midst of them?
You've really got to find a better church! Gathered in His Name, yes, that is What We Want, I believe!

Much love!

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then they want you to put on a act? To pretend to some sort of spirituality?
There are places where the Holy Spirit is allowed to lead some of the time. This is more likely to be seen in very small gatherings [congregations], but the larger the congregation and the better organized it is by men the more likely it is that God has been and is programmed right out of the picture for the leadership of this moment.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
but the larger the congregation and the better organized it is by men the more likely it is that God has been and is programmed right out of the picture for the leadership of this moment.

Ah but perhaps there is a 'large congregation' that has been organized by the Holy Spirit to ensure that God is indeed the focus of the picture...

Peace be with you!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The expression the "cart before the horse" means to go about something backwards. Notice the verse that I cited after using that expression:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

First things first!

Nothing wrong with the verse you quoted, but remember God's order. Jesus always follow His Father's order and preached about that order. You don't go for the dessert first... no matter how good it looks as you will spoil your dinner and likely not want to eat it.

Yes indeedy-do! Jesus was ALWAYS about His Fathers business. And lest we get choked out by the cares of this world we must needs be... (lol...couldn't help myself with the KJV :D ) ... about His business too.
Even the birds look up to Him first, if you've ever noticed? ♥

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To clarify, the initial comment was from Episkopos talking about those people he hears teaching that we should all be acting more spiritual than we are, something like that, putting on a fake religious facade.

I'm not present with teachers or pastors or whomever actually saying that. Personally I think it's kind of a straw man, but OK, in this case I take it as a literary device to make a point.

I don't actually think he's hearing people say that, but I think I understand what he's wanting to accomplish.

Much love!
In larger "well established" churches, the façade is already in place and usually even the local ministry "in charge" don't recognize it for what it is. It is probably the primary reason the churches in Europe have diminished and why the same thing has been happening in this country as well. Each of these groups do have something to offer, but an unlimited growth toward God is NOT one of the offerings no matter they may say. Growth is allowed ONLY according to pattern they have established. If you bump your head against the establish boundaries too often you will either leave of your own accord or they will put you out. Why do you think there are so many different denominations?

Are there exceptions to this? Of course, but without God's help how could you find them within the mess of churches all insisting that they are the right or best place?

"Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not." Matt 24:23

Don't listen any man! Listen rather to God!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are places where the Holy Spirit is allowed to lead some of the time. This is more likely to be seen in very small gatherings [congregations], but the larger the congregation and the better organized it is by men the more likely it is that God has been and is programmed right out of the picture for the leadership of this moment.

I love small groups the best. But the big group is good too. For me, at least.

Much love!

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah but perhaps there is a 'large congregation' that has been organized by the Holy Spirit to ensure that God is indeed the focus of the picture...

Peace be with you!
Perhaps there is and if it is God's will for me to find such congregation and join it, if I am pliant, allowing Him to guide me will I not find it? I have already been in places and God has brought me out of each of them. I am now where He has brought me to... Just need to keep on listening to and obeying His voice and enduring to the end with Him!
Give God the glory!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should we go searching for a "church" or should we surrender to God and let Him lead us? Will He?
I think both are the same thing.

He has to lead, but we have to walk out the front door.

:)

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes indeedy-do! Jesus was ALWAYS about His Fathers business. And lest we get choked out by the cares of this world we must needs be... (lol...couldn't help myself with the KJV :D ) ... about His business too.
Even the birds look up to Him first, if you've ever noticed? ♥
Amen!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In larger "well established" churches, the façade is already in place and usually even the local ministry "in charge" don't recognize it for what it is. It is probably the primary reason the churches in Europe have diminished and why the same thing has been happening in this country as well. Each of these groups do have something to offer, but an unlimited growth toward God is NOT one of the offerings no matter they may say. Growth is allowed ONLY according to pattern they have established. If you bump your head against the establish boundaries too often you will either leave of your own accord or they will put you out. Why do you think there are so many different denominations?

Are there exceptions to this? Of course, but without God's help how could you find them within the mess of churches all insisting that they are the right or best place?

"Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not." Matt 24:23

Don't listen any man! Listen rather to God!
Everything else aside, yes, I think there are a number of churches that aren't so much the Christianity of the Bible. And I also think there are very many that are.

Look for love, and look for those who hold the Bible with regard. Many claim to follow God, but denigrate or just ignore His Book.

"Growth is allowed ONLY according to pattern they have established." - I had to leave one of those . . .

Much love!

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
When I lived in another small city in Oklahoma the services where I attended regularly began at 4:00PM on Sundays so most Sunday mornings I would visit one of the many other church gatherings in town. The little "hole in the wall" churches were usually the best, the ones I would most likely pay return visits to... So many it was a waste of time to even ask to say something, just a testimony even, if you were not a regularly attending "member" of their assembly. I know, people want to protect themselves and what they have, but often their protective mechanisms shut out God Himself. God is helpless, He cannot care for His own, so shut Him out and see if you even are among His own.

Reactions: faithfulness

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I lived in another small city in Oklahoma the services where I attended regularly began at 4:00PM on Sundays so most Sunday mornings I would visit one of the many other church gatherings in town. The little "hole in the wall" churches were usually the best, the ones I would most likely pay return visits to... So many it was a waste of time to even ask to say something, just a testimony even, if you were not a regularly attending "member" of their assembly. I know, people want to protect themselves and what they have, but often their protective mechanisms shut out God Himself. God is helpless, He cannot care for His own, so shut Him out and see if you even are among His own.
There's a balance. Many wolves would love the opportunity to speak at will to congregations. But I agree with you, I tend to look towards smaller gatherings for a more openness to what God might do.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And in which direction should our first step be?

"O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!" Psalm 119:5

Love it!

First step is across the threshhold. Just walking out the front door can be the hard part. Seeking after Him!

Much love!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Love it!

First step is across the threshhold. Just walking out the front door can be the hard part. Seeking after Him!

Much love!

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." - Bilbo Baggins

Peace be with you!

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything else aside, yes, I think there are a number of churches that aren't so much the Christianity of the Bible. And I also think there are very many that are.

Look for love, and look for those who hold the Bible with regard. Many claim to follow God, but denigrate or just ignore His Book.

"Growth is allowed ONLY according to pattern they have established." - I had to leave one of those . . .

Much love!
One I had to leave... and most recently in a place where God had definitely placed me, I was forced out by those who replaced a called man of God so that they could establish their own glory. Of course they would deny that, but how many deluded people recognize their own delusions? I am calling no names nor will I... unless God so directs me. He has not.

I do visit places now, but I am not actively searching for any "church" home. I even have notes I have taken regarding the ones I have visited for future reference but there is not one where God has directed me a place for me to belong. I belong with Him and He is everywhere. I love it when He allows me to really gather with others "In His Name". I attend Him each morning always and then throughout the day as I can...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love it!

Much love!
Always keep that in your heart my friend. It is easy to say, but our flesh always wants to stand in our way:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matt 11:28-30

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

Hi Marks,
I much prefer the small groups but, there is nothing like being in a large group during worship service. Per chance there are others there who DO worship in Spirit and Truth..."greater is He..." ♥ And the Church I attend on Sundays is very large, the pastors are very good, I love all of them but...I could, do and have gotten their message online just as easily. Other than the praise and worship within a large group, I will not stop attending right now as my little sister has been coming for a couple months now, regular and THAT is answer to prayer! She needs the milk right now and I do not want to discourage her from going, I do believe sound doctrine is practiced there and the teaching is wonderful and chock full of scripture. Okay, I'm rambling here, lol.