REMEMBER [G3403] those who are in prison

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hebrews 10:

32 Remember [G363] the early days that you were in the light. In those days, you endured a great conflict in the face of suffering.
Remember
Ἀναμιμνῄσκεσθε (Anamimnēskesthe)
Verb - Present Imperative Passive - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 363: To remind, admonish, be reminded, remind myself; pass: I remember, recall. From ana and mimnesko; to remind; to recollect.

33 Sometimes you were publicly exposed to ridicule and persecution; at other times you were partners with those who were so treated. 34 You sympathized with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, knowing that you yourselves had a better and permanent possession.
The target audience, the Hebrews, had experienced suffering and persecution. They were able to sympathize.

Three chapters later, the author commanded in HEB 13:

3 Remember [G3403] those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body.
Now, this "remember" is a different Greek word:

Remember
μιμνῄσκεσθε (mimnēskesthe)
Verb - Present Imperative Middle or Passive - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 3403: To remember, call to mind, recall, mention. A prolonged form of mnaomai; to remind, i.e. to recall to mind.

The present tense points to the habitual practice of continuous remembering. Furthermore, the prolonged form stresses and emphasizes the act of remembering and remembering.

My paraphrase:

Continually to truly remember those who are in prison, … .
They knew what it was like to suffer persecution. The author commanded them to purposely remember others who were still suffering and in prison. Because of their first-hand experience, they could really sympathize with the others. In doing so, they fulfilled 1 Corinthians 12:

26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.
The one body of Christ is the bigger reality that Heb 13:3 earlier alluded to.