Repentance: Initial and Subsequent

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Meaning of repent:

A change of mind, accompanied with regret and sorrow for something done, and an earnest wish that it was undone.
This is followed by turning to God for help.

In biblical parlance, the word repent is associated with sins. 2 Corinthians 12:

21 I fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality that they have practiced.
There are two kinds of repentance depending on the timing of it.

First, there is the initial repentance of turning to God. Instead of worshipping idols, the world, or yourself, you start worshipping God. This is the one-time event that leads to salvation, Matthew 4:

17 From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”
2Cor 7:

10 For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.
Second, there is continual repentance, 1 John 1:

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
Paul spoke in Acts 26:

20b I preached that they should [Type 1] repent and turn to God and demonstrate their [Type 2] repentance by their deeds.
Besides turning to God, Paul pointed out a demonstration by practical works. This leads to Type-2 repentance. This is a continual repentant heart in the believer. This is to keep us faithful in choosing God's will in our daily life, Rev. 2:

5 ‘Therefore remember from where you have fallen, and repent and do the deeds you did at first; or else I am coming to you and will remove your lampstand out of its place — unless you repent.
Both kinds of repentance are necessary.

Does our repentance forgive future sins?

Yes but only in the first sense of the word. In the second sense, we need to have a repentant heart daily.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Meaning of repent:

This is followed by turning to God for help.

In biblical parlance, the word repent is associated with sins. 2 Corinthians 12:

There are two kinds of repentance depending on the timing of it.

First, there is the initial repentance of turning to God. Instead of worshipping idols, the world, or yourself, you start worshipping God. This is the one-time event that leads to salvation, Matthew 4:

2Cor 7:

Second, there is continual repentance, 1 John 1:

Paul spoke in Acts 26:

Besides turning to God, Paul pointed out a demonstration by practical works. This leads to Type-2 repentance. This is a continual repentant heart in the believer. This is to keep us faithful in choosing God's will in our daily life, Rev. 2:

Both kinds of repentance are necessary.

Does our repentance forgive future sins?

Yes but only in the first sense of the word. In the second sense, we need to have a repentant heart daily.
Yes, I've been saying this somewhat differently, but it's similar. We may choose to not do or to stop doing certain acts that would be considered "sinful," or against the holiness of God. But we may continue, in other areas, to continue making decisions apart from consulting God, partnering with God only in areas we wish to surrender to Him.

This is an incomplete repentance, and wonder if it can be considered true repentance at all? However, people do repent for a time, choosing to follow God, and then return to the mire, wallowing in our carnal lusts and covetousness.

True and full repentance is, as you suggest, a complete committing of our whole lives to God, which Paul called our "spiritual worship." It is making Jesus our spiritual Lord, and then setting off on a life in which we regularly consult God to ensure that what we do is in accord with God's holiness.