Repentance that applies to "justification"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Godssrvr

Jan 16, 2018
South East/Tuscaloosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can a lost person repent, but still be lost? Yes! If the repentance was not related to faith, it brings no "justification of life" before God!

We can "repent" (change our thinking) about anything. I can repent about what kind of cereal I eat for breakfast this morning, but it doesn't justify me before God. As it relates to sin, I can repent of certain behaviors in my life, but that can't justify me before God. God said we are.......

"justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus". Romans 3:24

If we believe we contribute our justification through obedience, we need a "change of mind". But don't listen to me, read Romans chapters 3-5 and see what God says!

Justification requires me to first recognize God says I am completely wicked before Him no matter what change I bring in my mortal life. Any offering of obedience from mortal man is worthless before God (Isaiah 64:6, Romans 3:10). I can change how I live, and I can become the most loving person the world has ever seen on the outside, but if my spirit has never been born of God, (regenerated in Christ) I'll still spend eternity in hell. The change needed for salvation is a spiritual change, and can only be made by God through a work of the Holy Spirit (John 3:5-7).

A believer is one who has forsaken any dependence on self righteousness, to trust completely in Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. Trusting only the sacrifice of His life as God in the flesh on the cross, being buried, and risen from the dead. Through faith in Christ, even though we are dead in sins, we are "quickened together with Him".

Ephesians 2:5
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Romans 3:10
As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Romans 3:19-20
Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

John 3:5-7
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

1 John 5:4-5
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

1 John 5:10-12
He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

1 Corinthians 15:3-4
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nah

Perfect repentence is perfect love.

If we are not lovng perfectly, our repentence is not complete.

We cannot repent completely without Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Godssrvr

Jan 16, 2018
South East/Tuscaloosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the context of justification, scripture teaches it is a change of mind about what you trust in. This is positional truth, not about the walk of the believer. Read Acts 17:16-31. The Athenians needed to repent from "idolatry" (vs16) and believe the gospel of Christ.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the context of justification, scripture teaches it is a change of mind about what you trust in. This is positional truth, not about the walk of the believer. Read Acts 17:16-31. The Athenians needed to repent from "idolatry" (vs16) and believe the gospel of Christ.

Idolatry is misplaced love. It is misdirected and therefore incomplete.

Reactions: Helen

Godssrvr

Jan 16, 2018
South East/Tuscaloosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Idolatry is misplaced love. It is misdirected and therefore incomplete.

Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:10

Idolatry is misplaced faith. Most people idolize themselves today through self righteousness. They can't humble themselves enough to accept the gift offered them by faith, because they have need to inject their own works. We are justified by faith alone. If self righteous works are added, it nullifies grace.

Romans 4:4-5
Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:10

Idolatry is misplaced faith. Most people idolize themselves today through self righteousness. They can't humble themselves enough to accept the gift offered them by faith, because they have need to inject their own works. We are justified by faith alone. If self righteous works are added, it nullifies grace.

Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Amen

Reactions: Godssrvr

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Faith is part of it, but misplaced love is primary - idols are transitionary objects for God, which provide temparary soothing. TV, internet, etc - can all become idols

Godssrvr

Jan 16, 2018
South East/Tuscaloosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is part of it, but misplaced love is primary - idols are transitionary objects for God, which provide temparary soothing. TV, internet, etc - can all become idols

Okay, this is "Bible Study Forum", so if you disagree, please provide scripture backing. No further comment is necessary or warranted without scripture proving your statement.