Researchers find surprisingly “low use of the Bible” among Protestants, Catholics in Germany

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“A new study from the theologians at the University of Leipzig finds that only 1.6% of the German population reads the Bible at least once a day, and only 3.2% read it every week, despite half of its population identifying as Protestant or Catholic. …

Among those surveyed who said they did not read the Bible, an overwhelming majority (80%) said they did not view the themes of the Bible as ‘relevant for their personal life,’ even as 63% of those who identified as non-readers said they still believe the Scriptures are a source of ‘core norms and values for society.’

The research team also clarified that while the study’s results might seem contradictory, it is not the proportion of Bible readers that has fallen, but the frequency of use …”

When I read this I thought about your frequent admonition to members of Christianity Board to read the Bible @amigo de christo.

Christians, one would think, shouldn’t need the encouragement but, as this article points out, they do. Everyone, it turns out, does.

A word of gentle encouragement to all my readers, wherever they live: Read the Bible. Every day that you draw breath on God’s good earth.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“A new study from the theologians at the University of Leipzig finds that only 1.6% of the German population reads the Bible at least once a day, and only 3.2% read it every week, despite half of its population identifying as Protestant or Catholic. …

Among those surveyed who said they did not read the Bible, an overwhelming majority (80%) said they did not view the themes of the Bible as ‘relevant for their personal life,’ even as 63% of those who identified as non-readers said they still believe the Scriptures are a source of ‘core norms and values for society.’

The research team also clarified that while the study’s results might seem contradictory, it is not the proportion of Bible readers that has fallen, but the frequency of use …”

When I read this I thought about your frequent admonition to members of Christianity Board to read the Bible @amigo de christo.

Christians, one would think, shouldn’t need the encouragement but, as this article points out, they do. Everyone, it turns out, does.

A word of gentle encouragement to all my readers, wherever they live: Read the Bible. Every day that you draw breath on God’s good earth.YEAH . LET US GET WELL DUG IN THAT BIBLE . March on in the LORD my friend .
Yes indeed let us get in those bibles

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The more i love the less i be loved . But wear it and embrace it i must .
Doing all out of love for all , even those whose hatred against me builds daily .
My desire is not one soul to perish . SO , YEAH LETS GET IN BIBLES and fast and start really learning and being refreshed
for ourselves .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
.... Amen to the 'GET IN BIBLES'

Yep . let us get DUG in those bibles and embrace all them lovely and pure words . Words by which if we learn
and heed we will indeed grow wise . I just love this saying . OPEN BIBLE , READ BIBLE , LOVE BIBLE . GOD INSPIRED IT
why wouldnt we then , WHO ARE OF HIM , NOT LOVE the TRUTH .
now let all that has breath be well dug in that bible daily and be learning and doing the pure and holy words inspired of GOD .

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The more i love the less i be loved . But wear it and embrace it i must .
Doing all out of love for all , even those whose hatred against me builds daily .
My desire is not one soul to perish . SO , YEAH LETS GET IN BIBLES and fast and start really learning and being refreshed
for ourselves .
So clearly you don't know what love is. Your chronic condemnation of everyone but yourself proves that.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep . let us get DUG in those bibles and embrace all them lovely and pure words . Words by which if we learn
and heed we will indeed grow wise . I just love this saying . OPEN BIBLE , READ BIBLE , LOVE BIBLE . GOD INSPIRED IT
why wouldnt we then , WHO ARE OF HIM , NOT LOVE the TRUTH .
now let all that has breath be well dug in that bible daily and be learning and doing the pure and holy words inspired of GOD .
" let all that has breath be well dug in that bible daily and be learning and doing the pure and holy words inspired of GOD ." That includes you. Not only should you read it you should pay attention to what it says.

Here is a starter: “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world but in order that the world might be saved through him."

Will you EVER stop your condemnation of everyone except yourself???

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a reminder to us all . DO not follow the progressive mindset . They have long twisted the scrips
and present another jesus , another wordly version of love . So be on gaurd against
the progressive deconstructions teachings .

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a reminder to us all . DO not follow the progressive mindset . They have long twisted the scrips
and present another jesus , another wordly version of love . So be on gaurd against
the progressive deconstructions teachings .
Just a reminder to everyone...

Do not follow amigo's interpretation of what others think. His mind is CLOSED to anything and everything that doesn't comply with his accusatory legalism and punitive attitude towards everyone, including many Christians. He makes one false claim after another and declares it to be the truth. An example is claiming "They have long twisted the scrips and present another jesus , another wordly version of love" By that I assume that he means by saying "the scrips", he means the Bible. Of course, the wild statement about "another jesus" is unfounded. (And apparently he doesn't think that "Jesus" should be capitalized!) And likewise, he mentions "another wordly [sic] version of love" without defining what he means.

In my Bible, it says that "Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love. God’s love was revealed among us in this way: God sent his only Son into the world so that we might live through him." 1 John 4:7-9 Anyone who reads @amigo's chronic condemnatory messages should know that he has no idea what love is. He tries, without any proof or justification, to claim that others don't know what love is (as though he does)!

And he ends his rant with "So be on gaurd [sic] against the progressive deconstructions [sic] teachings ." I have asked him many times to explain what he means by by "progressive deconstructionist teachings" bur he has never done so. (I also asked what he means by the "social gospel" but he has never defined that either).

So, it's just another hateful rant against imaginary foes, a.k.a., tilting at windmills. He is full of rage and condemnation against almost everyone, including many in the Body of Christ, yet never provides any evidence of his claims.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
1 day = 24 hrs per day x 60 min per hr = 1440 min per day

Can you spare 12 minutes per day to read the Bible?

12 min per day / 1440 min per day = 0.0083

0.0083 x 100% = 0.83% of your day.

Can you spare less than 1% of your day to read the Bible?

1440 min per day - 12 min per day = 1428 min per day

1428 min per day / 1440 min per day = 0.9917

0.9917 x 100% = 99.17% of your day.

A little over 99% of your time to everything else you want and need to do.

Offered for your consideration -> You need to read the Bible daily.

I ask again: Can you spare less than 1% of your day to read the Bible?

No? Then you’re busier than anyone I’ve ever met.

What about 6 min per day? If you’re too busy to spare 12 min, are you also too busy to spare 6 minutes?

What are your priorities?

How much time do you spend reading other peoples posts? How much time do you spend posting?

How long did it take you to read my post?

If you can’t afford to spend even 6 min of your time per day reading the Bible, stop reading my posts. Invest the time that you would have spent reading my posts in reading the Bible. In this dire situation, that’s a win-win proposition in my book.

I’m not your father. I’m not your spouse. I’m not your teacher. I’m not your preacher. I’m not your boss. I’m a voice in the wind encouraging you to read scripture regularly.

I read the Bible daily (thanks to the example set for me in my youth by my paternal grandfather) and I encourage everyone I come in contact with to read the Bible every day. Not for my benefit, for theirs.

Do you have and follow a daily Bible reading habit? You’re doing well. Keep it up!

Have you decided to start a daily Bible reading regimen? Let me know.

Be blessed and be a blessing to others.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Years ago I set a standard for myself -> no matter how busy I might be, no matter how tired, no matter how distracted: don’t ever allow the day to end without reading the Bible - even if the best I can manage is only a single verse.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Sometimes people just don’t know where to start. There are reading plans devised to meet almost any need. Here is a link to 70 reading plans. If you don’t have a plan but are thinking about it, try one of these. Have a plan but are looking for something new? You can’t go wrong with any of them.

Find a plan and read.

Devise a plan on your own and read.

Whatever the plan, read.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“TV might be the most popular American pastime. On average, 55% of Americans spend one to fours hours daily watching TV, and 22% watch four or more hours every day.”

How much TV do you watch every day?

We’re looking for 12 minutes (or even 6 minutes) a day to set aside to read the Bible every day.

Better for you: 1 hour of watching TV or 12 (or even 6) minutes of reading the Bible?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
1689690024685.jpeg

Don’t wait until next year to start reading the Bible daily. Start reading the Bible daily today and continue reading the Bible daily next year.