Resurrection and Ascension

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KingdomCome

Sep 13, 2010
Are the Resurrection and Ascension of Christ Jesus the same? I see that many treat them, conceptually, the same.

I believe they are not the same.

Please help to clarify this precept...

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not a scholar - opening the Bible Jan 2006 for the first time...
but wasn't the Resurrection when Jesus came back to life?

While the Ascension was when He separated His atoms, making them simply become
farther and farther apart? Dematerializing in other words in front of so many - thus, (off topic) - He is indeed, then,
always, always present ---there,
here, everywhere,
and very real; dispersed into the "ethers", the non physical Spriit Realms?

(off topic) And to appear again physically - He "simply" has to "pull / draw" them all back together -an "implosion" of sorts -
the reverse of the slow explosion of His dispersement of His atoms?

My take.
:)

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Christ resurrected 3 days and 3 nights after His crucifixion. He then appeared to His disciples for 40 days afterwards in His resurrection body, and then ascended to Heaven per the end of Mark 16; Luke 24; Acts 1:9>.

KingdomCome

Sep 13, 2010

farther and farther apart? Dematerializing in other words in front of so many - thus, (off topic) - He is indeed, then,
here, everywhere,

(off topic) And to appear again physically - He "simply" has to "pull / draw" them all back together -an "implosion" of sorts -

My take.
My take is as yours...

Ac 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

His coming is His rising from all who believe — He "...shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven."

He comes into each believer and is risen from the dead...

1Th 4:
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Col 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

1Co 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

I love what you know...

KingdomCome

Sep 13, 2010

here, everywhere,

My take.

I think the same — when He returns as a singular male individual.

He is the way...

Joh 14:
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake.
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

I know you know Him...

Christ resurrected 3 days and 3 nights after His crucifixion. He then appeared to His disciples for 40 days afterwards in His resurrection body, and then ascended to Heaven per the end of Mark 16; Luke 24; Acts 1:9>.

Thanks veteran...

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
Are the Resurrection and Ascension of Christ Jesus the same? I see that many treat them, conceptually, the same.

I believe they are not the same.

Please help to clarify this precept...

For what it's worth, and that isn't much I agree with your thinking as only one person in history has been resurrected, a number of people have been raised from the dead only to die again, I believe that this is true not only of Lazarus but also those Saints who came out of their graves after Christs resurrection, Jesus was the first to to come back from the dead ,never to die again, and He promises those of us who believe in His resurrection the same grace that only He can give and thank God it isn't based on our righteous acts or none of us would ever be accepted by God.

As I mentioned in answer to your question on the Rapture I believe that the Ascension is different because of the case of Elijah who ascended, when Elijah was taken up he was not with out sin Jesus was....God Bless...Ray

KingdomCome

Sep 13, 2010
Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Where, in the Bible, or, when did Christ Jesus use the word "rapture" I cannot find it.

The Online Etymology Dictionary.
rapture c.1600, "act of carrying off," from M.Fr. rapture, from M.L. raptura "seizure, rape, kidnapping," from L. raptus "a carrying off" (see rapt). Originally of women and cognate with rape (v.). Sense of "spiritual ecstasy" first recorded 1620s.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Etymology
"Rapture" is an English noun derived from the Latin verb rapiō, with a literal meaning of "I catch up" "or "I snatch" (from the infinitive form of the verb rapere, "to catch up"; "rapture" is also cognate to the English words "rapids", "raptor", "ravish", and "rape").

[edit] Greek
The Koine Greek text of 1 Thessalonians 4:17 uses the verb form ἁρπαγησόμεθα (harpagēsometha), which means "we shall be caught up" or "taken away", with the connotation that this is a sudden event. The dictionary form of this Greek verb is harpazō (ἁρπάζω).[sup][6][/sup]

[edit] Latin
The Latin Vulgate translates the Greek ἁρπαγησόμεθα as rapiemur,[sup][7][/sup] meaning "to catch up" or "take away".[sup][8][/sup]

[edit] English Bible versions
English versions of the Bible have translated rapiemur in various ways:

Acts 19:29 And the whole city was filled with confusion: and having caught Gaius and Aristarchus, men of Macedonia, Paul’s companions in travel, they rushed with one accord into the theatre.
2Co 8:17 For indeed he accepted the exhortation; but being more forward, of his own accord he went unto you.
Php 2:2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

Because some were in one accord, should we discuss the other cars in the Bible?