Salvation by own faith alone: Man saving himself by own will

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
What does it mean for man to save himself 'by his own will and power', rather than to be saved by God and His grace?

I say it's beleiving we are saved by our own faith alone. Man saving himself by the power of his own will alone. Our own faith alone, is our own will alone.

Our own faith alone by definition, is not just without works, but also without God or any other person's will. It's our own alone.

Our own faith alone without works, is our own will-power to only believe and imagine what we want, without doing it. The Bible calls it vain imagination. The believing of hearers only, not doers.

Man certainly does have the power of our own will to imagine something is true, and it's not. It's called beleiving something is true, and so it must be true.

Man's will-power is not just doing something outwardly by works, whether for good or evil, but is also doing something inwardly by believing, whether it is true or not.

Works speak for themselves as being good or evil, but imagination is free to think and believe what it's wants, whether it's true or not.

Faith without works is called dead faith in the Bible. That's because with God, faith alone is nothing but ideology and imagination, that is doing nothing practical with it. It's just useless time spent by man thinking and believing things (whether about creation, life, God, or themselves), that are of no value.

It's the vain power of our own will to believe something about life and ourselves, whether it's true or not.

Believing we are saved entirely by our own faith alone, is testament to man's power to will something to be so by thought alone, that is not necessarily so in life by doing the work:

My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

This is especially vain, when such 'believers' in themselves, are doing the exact opposite of what they think and say they are.

Afterall, the salvation that God gives is deliverance from sinning, while the salvation that some give to themselves, by believing it alone, is still while sinning.

The power of God is to save and deliver man from sinning, according the the Father's will by His Son Jesus Christ.

The power of man is to save and deliver himself from judgment of sinning, according to their own will by their own faith alone.

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean for man to save himself 'by his own will and power', rather than to be saved by God and His grace?
It means you are deceived and doomed.
I say it's beleiving we are saved by our own faith alone. Man saving himself by the power of his own will alone. Our own faith alone, is our own will alone.
You can do nothing good without God.
The power of man is to save and deliver himself from judgment of sinning, according to their own will by their own faith alone.
The wages of sin is death, that is the judgment, physical and spiritual death.

Can you will yourself to live eternally?

Let's see how that fantasy would play out. When you die _ according to you _ you can will your spirit to go anywhere; to heaven, explore the universe or just stick around and haunt people you don't like or do some extensive traveling to places you've always wanted to go. Puff, think about it and you are there, an act of pure will! That would be something, to completely nullify whatever power and plan of God has for you, sidestep the judgments of your sins, disregard whatever Jesus died for because you have your own free will, you are SUPERMAN. A slave to sin? a slave to God or Satan? Not you.
Good luck with that!

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
It means you are deceived and doomed.

You can do nothing good without God.

The wages of sin is death, that is the judgment, physical and spiritual death.

Can you will yourself to live eternally?

Let's see how that fantasy would play out. When you die _ according to you _ you can will your spirit to go anywhere; to heaven, explore the universe or just stick around and haunt people you don't like or do some extensive traveling to places you've always wanted to go. Puff, think about it and you are there, an act of pure will! That would be something, to completely nullify whatever power and plan of God has for you, sidestep the judgments of your sins, disregard whatever Jesus died for because you have your own free will, you are SUPERMAN. A slave to sin? a slave to God or Satan? Not you.
Good luck with that!
Exactly.

Man's own faith alone to be saved by, is not God's saving faith given to them that repent of our own sinning.

Thanks.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 6
35 And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. 36 But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will [f]by no means cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. 40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
41 The Jews then [g]complained about Him, because He said, “I am the bread which came down from heaven.” 42 And they said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How is it then that He says, ‘I have come down from heaven’?”

43 Jesus therefore answered and said to them, [h]“Do not murmur among yourselves. 44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who [i]has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. 46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father. 47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes [j]in Me has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.”

52 The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?”

53 Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For My flesh is [k]food indeed, and My blood is [l]drink indeed. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven—not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever.”

59 These things He said in the synagogue as He taught in Capernaum.

Many Disciples Turn Away​

60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a [m]hard saying; who can understand it?”

61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples [n]complained about this, He said to them, “Does this [o]offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
66 From that time many of His disciples went [p]back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”

68 But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the [q]Christ, the Son of the living God.”

70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve, and one of you is a devil?” 71 He spoke of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, for it was he who would betray Him, being one of the twelve.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
It means you have created a strawman in order for you to demolition what no Christian believes.
You've never heard of the Christian gospel of being saved by his own faith alone? If so, then that's good for you, and you don't have to worry about me demolitioning it.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
66 From that time many of His disciples went [p]back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”

68 But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the [q]Christ, the Son of the living God.”

70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve, and one of you is a devil?” 71 He spoke of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, for it was he who would betray Him, being one of the twelve.
Good Bible. Thanks.

Reactions: Scott Downey

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly.

Man's own faith alone to be saved by, is not God's saving faith given to them that repent of our own sinning.

Thanks.
Through faith in the shed blood of Christ, we are made to be sin-LESS before the Father.

However, if there be any THAT ARE sin-FREE, while still having breath, now is the time to speak up, and let us all know how it is that we went wrong!

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
Through faith in the shed blood of Christ, we are made to be sin-LESS before the Father.
While we are made without sin by repentance and washing of His blood. The only one to be sinless all the life is Jesus.

All other men have sinned, and so all men are in need of repentance unto washing of the blood of Jesus.

However, if there be any THAT ARE sin-FREE, while still having breath, now is the time to speak up,
You're apparent contradiction between being sinless 'before the Father' and yet not being sin free, can only be explained by the Christian doctrinal delusion of only being 'seen' as sinless, while still sinning freely in the face of the Father.

He was a mighty hunter before the LORD: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the LORD.

Sinning is never free. It's always death to God. Jesus washes us from past sinning, and saves and makes us free from sinning.

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

and let us all know how it is that we went wrong!
By repenting not of course.

Sinners are doing such things, because they have not repented of doing such things. It's pretty much a given.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind...

Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which are doing such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?