Samarians / Samaritans

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
John:4:4: And he (Jesus) must needs go through Samaria.I know it was the region of 10-tribed Israel before their captivity by the Assyrians, who put people of other nations there.So, why did Jesus need to go there?Did a lot of Israelites return?Are "Samarians" & "Samaritans" synonymous terms?

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
Actually, after a little reflection I think I can answer my own question!He needed to go there for geographical reasons, to get to Galilee.The woman's comments:-"Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? (v12)"Our fathers worshipped in this mountain" (v20) . . . show that she was of Israel.

Samuel Pickens

Feb 10, 2010
USA
AS I recall the Jerusalem Jews hated the Samaritans and avoided them. Yes, Jacobs well is there but they had a void. He was accepted as the messiah there and those people will be a testimony against Isreal and the religious bunch that killed Him.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
John:4:4: And he (Jesus) must needs go through Samaria.I know it was the region of 10-tribed Israel before their captivity by the Assyrians, who put people of other nations there.So, why did Jesus need to go there?Did a lot of Israelites return?Are "Samarians" & "Samaritans" synonymous terms?

Yes, our Lord had to go through Samaria to get to Galilee where He was headed.

Some scholars believe there was some of the ten tribes left in Samaria when the king of Assyria took the ten tribes of Israel captive out of the land. I have my doubts of that because of what the 2 Kings Scripture says, and because removing conquered peoples to a different land, and bringing in others instead, was a common practice of the king of Assyria.

The woman that met our Lord Jesus at the well (John 4) may have claimed Jacob as her ancestor, but what did our Lord Jesus reveal about her? He told her she had had five husbands, and the sixth she was then living with was not her husband. He told her she worships she knows not what.

Her five husbands are a symbol for the five false gods of the peoples brought from Babylon and placed in Samaria when the ten tribes were removed. The king of Assyria took Babylonian peoples from five different provinces in Babylon, each having their own false god of worship, and placed them in the lands of Samaria instead (2 Kings 17). I think our Lord was pointing to the woman as being from Babylon. The sixth man she was living with might be a symbol for the final antichrist.

Hamster

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
Yes, our Lord had to go through Samaria to get to Galilee where He was headed.

Some scholars believe there was some of the ten tribes left in Samaria when the king of Assyria took the ten tribes of Israel captive out of the land. I have my doubts of that because of what the 2 Kings Scripture says, and because removing conquered peoples to a different land, and bringing in others instead, was a common practice of the king of Assyria.

The woman that met our Lord Jesus at the well (John 4) may have claimed Jacob as her ancestor, but what did our Lord Jesus reveal about her? He told her she had had five husbands, and the sixth she was then living with was not her husband. He told her she worships she knows not what.

Her five husbands are a symbol for the five false gods of the peoples brought from Babylon and placed in Samaria when the ten tribes were removed. The king of Assyria took Babylonian peoples from five different provinces in Babylon, each having their own false god of worship, and placed them in the lands of Samaria instead (2 Kings 17). I think our Lord was pointing to the woman as being from Babylon. The sixth man she was living with might be a symbol for the final antichrist.

that seems like an big stretch considering The circumstances that had taken place when Jesus was there. I don't think the amount of husbands that the woman had was really all that important, except for Jesus to show his power to her.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
that seems like an big stretch considering The circumstances that had taken place when Jesus was there. I don't think the amount of husbands that the woman had was really all that important, except for Jesus to show his power to her.

It would only make sense to those who are familiar with the Old Testament history about Samaria, and where the Samaritans came from (2 Kings 17 and Josephus' histories). Old Testament study reveals more about what our Lord Jesus and His Apostles taught in the New Testament.

Another example is the vineyard idea in Isaiah 5 that goes along with our Lord's parable of the sower, and the parable of the husbandmen of Matt.21. And yet another is the OT connection of being 'with child' to the spiritual virgin symbols in the NT. And yet another the OT connection of the Joel locusts with the locusts in Rev.9.

But those who don't study the OT Books won't know about those links where those metaphors and symbols used in the NT were first given in the OT, and how originally used. Instead, they'll be making things up to try and explain NT metaphors simply because they haven't studied the OT first.

The OT Books open up understanding in the NT Books.

Matt 13:51-52
51 Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto Him, Yea, Lord.
52 Then said He unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.
(KJV)

TheWarIs1

Dec 11, 2009
2Ki 17:24 And the king of Assyria brought men from Babylon, and from Cuthah, and from Ava, and from Hamath, and from Sepharvaim, and placed them in the cities of Samaria instead of the children of Israel: and they possessed Samaria, and dwelt in the cities thereof.

We get the Sephardic JEWs from these people which are a very different people than the Ashkenazi Jews.
Sepharvaim comes from Babylon near the old city of old Sumer and means "two cities". There was two cities close together there named this.

Now you know where the Sepharvaim Jews came from
Christ told his disciples not to go to Samaria. but he did preach there.
The origin of the Sepharvaim could have been... Who knows?
Persians, Medes, Babylonians, Assyrians or other though they don't look Arabian.

A small group of people in Israel today claim to be from these Samaritans who adhere to a form of Judaism and claim to descended from Ephraim, their claim of ancestral origin is disputed,
They are strict about marrying in their own group which is small. Aprox. 800 people. They look very White compared to others in the land.
They have a different Scripture version of the Samaritans that they hang on to and they worship on Mount Gerizim rather than Jerusalem.
They believe this was the mount of the near sacrifice of Issac rather than Mt Moriah.

.. it was a common argument with them long ago about the correct place to worship and Jesus told the Samaritan that the time is coming when they won't worship on this hill or that one, but in spirit and in truth.
The Samaritan scripture had Mount Gerizum rather than Jerusalem as Gods holy Mountain.

I think he meant we should worship him anywhere at any time, in truth.