Sanctification. What is it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
learning to love God and neighbor perfectly.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I had learned it was a purification process to help you become as Christ, protecting you by Grace in the process.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
An event and a process that makes us ready for the Master's indwelling and use.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShJIuM3SQFQ&feature=plcp

Can there be a revival and leave the Wesleyan ways out of it? I don't think so.... Here is the outline to the video....

Revival?

The author of this devotional was brought up in a church that prayed for
revival. Decades later, I look on the web site, and they are still praying for
revival! So the question becomes… Will they ever experience that which they are praying for? Has the reasoning of the mind negated that which they seek?

The Church Doctrines...

Since doctrine has a lot to do with the revival experience, lets look at some of the doctrines that came down through the ages. As a take on Revelation is that of a timeline, we can get into and explore the different doctrines of the church. It was in Philadelphia where the revival fire burned the brightest!

# Church Denomination Notes
1 Ephesus Apostolic Lost their first love. Paul notes in II Timothy that all Asia had deserted him.
2 Smyrna Martyrs The Foxes Book of Martyrs mentions ten Roman persecutions (ten days).
3 Pergamum Orthodox Pyrgos in the Greek is a fortified structure (needed in the dark ages).
4 Thyatira Catholic The Spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
5 Sardis Protestant Note a sardius is a gem… Hard (shelled) and rigid yet very elegant!
6 Philadelphia Methodist To be sanctified is to acquire a brotherly love.
7 Laodicea Non Rich, increased with goods, and has need of nothing?

The Spiritual Light

If… E=mc2 then we can divide and conclude that

Matter (m) = E (energy) / c2 (light)

And there are three varieties…

Mass – Is basically stored energy and light.
Mentality – Our thinking can produce an energy and a light!
Spiritually – E (energy, motivation, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

Is Spirituality knowledge? Can it be taught? Plato’s Meno is a dialogue in which Socrates and Meno discuss human virtue and whether or not it can be taught. The conclusion of this work is that “The result seems to be that virtue is neither natural or acquired, but an instinct given to God to the virtuous.” It is important to conclude that spirituality is in a different category than knowledge. One can have an understanding as vast as the great outdoors… And not a thing in the heart! One can memorize Holy Script… And yet not experience that which was memorized!

A Few Wavelengths of Spiritual Light…
Caritus: Latin’s highest form of Love.
Charit'e: French derivative, “cheri" means beloved.
Charis: The Greek word for grace (unconditional love).
Chara: The Greek word for joy.
Eucharisteo: The Greek word for gratitude…
Charizomai: The Greek word for well-favored….
Chairo: The Greek word for cheer.
Chrestos: Useful (in manner or morals), gracious.
Chrestotes: Excellence in character.
Chara: Greek word for joy
Euchrestos: Greek for profitable.
Charisma: Heavenly Graciousness
Chrisma: Heavenly Anointing

Spiritual Darkness

If E = mc2 we can assume the inverse, and conclude….

n (nothing) = z (absolute zero) / d (darkness)

And to measure the effects on the spiritual level…

n (nothing) – emptyness with no motivation
z (absolute zero) – cold (don’t be a brother polar bear!)
d (darkness) – the opposite of faith, hope, charity, and joy would be…
…. fear, depression, hate, and sorrow!

It is in all things important to recognize spiritual darkness when it so subtly sneaks in!
“neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.” – Nehemiah 8:10

That other light….

"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! For thou
hast said, I will ascend into heaven. I will exalt my throne." - Isaiah 14:12

"And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed
into an angel of light." - II Cor 11:14

There is yet another light brought down from Lucifer and his
fallen angels. These angels know the value of light and attempt
to use its power. Unfortunately this light is in the form of arrogance
which results are never good. Having the wrong form of energy
the ends are always cold. The warmth of this once great angel is
something forever departed from his heart!

A high look, a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked,
is sin. – Proverbs 21:4

Arrogance is the light of demonic spirits… Partake of it and be
prepared to be brought low! The unction from God is not arrogance!

The John Wesley Methods Towards Awakening and Revival

"All mischief begins in the name of God.“ – A German proverb
It is rather a sad thing to study church history and find all the darkness,
arrogance, and mischief that happened in the name of Christianity.

This is the world that John Wesley was reared in. Having seen the Christian world as over ecclesiastical, he simplified his (successful) methods into the following….

Justification - Man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. – Romans 3:28
Salvation - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved. – Acts 16:31
Sanctification - this is the will of God, even your sanctification… - 1 Thess 4:3
Witness of the Spirit - And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. – Acts 19:6

The Experience of Sanctification

Wesley preached strongly on justification and sanctification (regeneration),
claiming that sanctification could progress by grace, until love flooded the
believer's consciousness and became the "temper" which characterized
motive and mission.

… after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. – Galatians 3:25

Sanctified is to acquire the perfect love, warmth, grace, and sweet spirit. Therefore sanctification is an experience rather than a doctrine, acquiring the spiritual E/c2 in such a way that the desires of the heart are only to do good. In the 1800’s the Wesleyan Virginian camp meetings would have two alters; one for salvation, and the other for sanctification. They would sometimes stay into the wee hours of the morning seeking this experience, once they got it, it was said that the people ‘had got it in a good way,’ oftentimes with shouting!

The Aldersgate Experience

John Wesley’s experience of justification came following a difficult and
discouraging mission trip to America, where he questioned his faith. In 1738, atThe age of 34, John Wesley attended an evening worship service in London which moved him deeply. In his journal, Wesley described his "Aldersgate experience:“

“In the evening I went very unwillingly to a society in Aldersgate Street, where one was reading Luther's preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About a quarter before nine, while the leader was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death.” – John Wesley

“Strangely warmed” indicates the acquiring of the spiritual E/c2… Indicating sanctification as well as justification… Most profitable for ministry and in any career!

The Experience of Sanctification

Repeat… The sanctification is an experience rather than a doctrine!
If you have not grace, love, and the sweet spirit you have not been
sanctified! Once the sanctification comes you will also receive the
motivation to do good. The love that is in your heart will drive your ministry!

Sanctification prepares new garments and wineskins in place of the old, preparing the body for more of the Holy Spirit. The correct E/c2 is what separates the saints from the Sadd-U-Cees!

Jesus spake them this parable: “No one tears a piece out of a new garment to patch an old. Otherwise, they will have torn the new garment, and the patch from the new will not match the old. And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, new wine must be poured into new wineskins. And no one after drinking old wine wants the new, for they say, ‘The old is better.’”– Luke 5:36-39

Sanctification in the life of Smith Wigglesworth

Smith Wigglesworth believed sanctification as something that sweetens the spirit up, making people more spiritual and loving. His wife once testified that she knew Smith was sanctified when he quit complaining about his food. Wigglesworth states that we are sanctified so that nothing hinders us in the manifestation of God’s Glory. In this way we are robbed of all pride, evil, and freely led of the Spirit. Evil thoughts come from the unclean believer, the man who is not entirely sanctified.

Wigglesworth also stresses obedience as a fruit of sanctification. “The Word is to be swallowed, not prayed over! If you ever pray over the Word of God there is some disobedience; where there is some disobedience; you are not willing to obey. If you come into the election of Sanctification of the Spirit, you will be obedient in everything concerning that Word. In the measure you are not obedient, you have not come into the Sanctification of the Spirit.” – Smith Wigglesworth, New Zealand, 1922

The Wesleyan Methods According to Smith Wigglesworth…

Smith Wigglesworth encourages people to grow daily into the kingdom.
He said that he would rather hear Christians who knew not the power of
God, but were growing; than hear people who received the fullness of
the power of God, and were now self-satisfied. Smith Wigglesworth also emphasizes that the Giver is to be received before the gifts. Salvation always precedes sanctification, and sanctification will always precede the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Sanctification prepares the body for the Holy Spirit, and when the body is rightly prepared for the Holy Spirit, and then it is the work of Jesus to baptize with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit then makes Jesus king in your life; you regard him as Lord and Master over all things, and you become submissive to him in all things. You are not afraid to say, “You are mine! I love you!”

The Lost Wesleyan Methods…

Smith Wigglesworth reminds his audience that since he left their
presence, they do not know what he has done. He may have lost
anointing or favor with God. He might be like people who have lived
holy lives, preached sanctification, and their initial tongues were helpful;
but they are now in a backslidden condition… A life not worthy of the language… Something got in the way. They have kept the Wesleyan Methods, but have lost their zeal
and fire. Wherefore Smith Wigglesworth Re-emphasizes…

1. Go two days without growing… You have lost your vision!
2. Go a week without growing… You are a backslider!

When the Revival Came…

Wesley’s journal from Jan. 1, 1739: “About sixty of our brethren until
three in the morning, the power of God came mightily on us, insomuch
that many cried out for exceeding joy, and many fell to the ground.”
John Wesley prayed, “Lord send us revival without its defects but if this
is not possible, send revival, defects and all.” Whitefield wrote of many falling to the ground, trembling exceedingly with strong convulsions. People fell down, cried out, trembled with convulsive twitchings. Sinners dropped down, shrieking, groaning, crying for mercy, convulsed, agonizing, fainting, falling down in distress or in raptures of joy! The noise was like a roar of Niagara. The vast sea of human beings as agitated by a storm. Seized with convulsive jerking all over.

When the Spirit of God comes in prepare to make some noise!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
In your own words, what is sanctification?

(I have my reasons for asking this, which will become clearer over time.)

Because I have Christ I am fully sanctified .
My sanctification is an ongoing daily process .
I have just said two contradictory things ....
But using my own words that is what it means to me.
Sort of :)

Hard to define sanctification .... something like being righteous , set aside as pure or holy , acceptable (to God)

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote this for something else but it is fitting.

Work of the Father in sanctification. (John 17:17)

Work of the Christ in positional sanctification. (Hebrews 10:10, 14)
Work of the Christ in experiential sanctification. (1Peter 1:16, 1Cor 1:30)
Work of the Christ in ultimate sanctification. (1Thess 5:23, Ephesians 5:20)

Work of the Holy Spirit in preparatory sanctification (1Peter 1:2, 2Peter 2:13)

Kidron

Jun 27, 2012
Sanctification falls under 2 topics...
[font=lucida sans unicode']Salvation or Discipleship.[/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode']These same 2 topics, if not understood correctly regarding their distinctions, will keep a believer confused not only about Salvation but also about Sanctification.[/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode']So, to keep it clear and simple..[/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode']When a person trusts Christ for salvation.........that is, when they execute BELIEF, then God pardons all their sin, removes the law from them, gives them his righteousness, and never again charges their present or future sins to them.[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode']His basis for doing this it to take what Christ has earned, which is sinless perfection, and apply it to a believer, while at the same time charging all the believer's sins to Christ.[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode']Its a swap.[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode']The cross is where God offers a redemptive "swap", whereby he takes all your wrong (past, present, future) and lays it on Christ, and takes all Christ's right and installs to you and it then becomes yours, and this is for all eternity.[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode']Now this is become your position in Christ, the moment you exercise faith, and because you have now become "in Christ", then everything he is, you now have become.[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode']And this is why you are "sanctified"......Its because you are now become a part of Christ, you are "in Christ" and he has become a part of you...."Christ IN YOU, the hope of Glory"......and because of this transition from what you were to whom you've now become in HIM....God gives you this scripture so that you can see yourself as he sees you....[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode']=1st Corinthians 1:30....And of him are YOU IN CHRIST JESUS, who of God is MADE UNTO US >wisdom, and righteousness, and righteousness, AND SANCTIFICATION, and redemption...." [/font]

Now, do you see that? ^^^^^^^^^^^^, do you see what you have BECOME based on what Christ did for you that God gives to you as a free gift?
He gives you all that as a FREE GIFT = The ATONEMENT.

So, that is your "position" "in Christ" as a "sanctified" believer....

[font=lucida sans unicode']Now, discipleship sanctification is wholly different, as this is what James is talking about when he speaks about faith + works.[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode']Your discipleship is your walk and your lifestyle which as James tells you are supposed to reflect your Christianity.[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode']Or as James says, you are to prove your faith by your lifestyle or "works"........You are to exist in a continual "fruit bearing" mode.[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode']You are to exhibit the outward physical acts of your inward spiritual change, and as James says..."prove your faith by your lifestyle or deeds or works".[/font]
and of course you do this not to save yourself or to keep yourself saved, but you do it because you are saved.

So, your discipleship (which is your job) is to live a life of continual sanctification before God........that is.... you are to literally put away your sin and strive every day to be as holy as you can.
You are to do the works of a Christian which separates you from the works of the flesh or the works of the world system, and in this, you are living differently from all that, which is to live "sanctified" or set apart from those carnal things.

Here is a scripture that shows you how...

Romans 12:1...[font=Charis SIL']I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you PRESENT YOUR BODIES, a >living sacrifice<, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.." [/font]

Now, Did you notice what this verse contains?.........it is a very deep verse, and has a lot of doctrine in it.

[font=lucida sans unicode']First, you are shown why you are to present your body...the basis....."by the mercies of God" = GRACE....so this is your FREE Salvation which is the reason you are to do what the rest of the verse is going to ask you to do.[/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode']"present your bodies"......the reason you are asked to do this is because God has not redeemed your body yet, he has redeemed your spirit.......so, he does not deal with your body or your acts ,,,,,,,,YOU DO........and that is why he tells you what to do with your body, which is your BEHAVIOR. =because you Are saved, and not to try to save yourself..[/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode']"living sacrifice"....this is sanctification, this is Discipleship.......this is what YOU do BECAUSE you are saved.[/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode']So, you are already redeemed, (based on nothing you do) but now God wants you to live a life that reflects it OUTWARDLY in the world., as this pleases him, and Paul is explaning....its a "reasonable service" for you to do it, ..considering what God through Christ has done for you.[/font]
[font=lucida sans unicode']Dont you agree that its reasonable for God to expect you to do right with your life......to control your behavior, considering all he has done to save your soul and give you eternal life?[/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode']Its more then >reasonable< for you to exhibit behavior that reflects your Salvation when you consider the extreme cost it cost Jesus to give it to you for free.[/font]

K

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
A key part of our Christian walk. It is the process whereby CHrist Jesus initiates it at the point of our salvation (instantaneous sanctification & justification) the Holy Spirit continues to sanctify us through the word and His power (progressive sanctification) and then the completion when Jesus fully sanctifies us completely and in the fullness of grace given we live holy (entire sanctification) which may happen before death in relative holiness yet will not fully come into fruition until we are ressurrected with Our Lord Jesus Christ!

E

epouraniois

In your own words, what is sanctification?

Sanctified means set apart ((to) dedicate or consecrate). Sanctification is something God does. John 17 is the great Sanctification chapter, as well as being the real Lord's prayer (the one in Mat being the disciples prayer)