SBC's IMB Will Cut 600 to 800 Staff (Including Missionaries)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a link:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2015/august-web-only/southern-baptists-will-cut-800-missionaries-imb-david-platt.html?start=2

IMB president David Platt announced Wednesday that the agency needs to cut at least 600 missionaries and staff in order to balance its budget. Those cuts are needed to make up for a $21 million deficit for 2015.

The first of the cuts will come from voluntary retirements, followed by a restructuring. Overall, the IMB could release as many as 800 employees, according to an FAQ posted on the IMB’s website.

Currently, the IMB has about 4,700 missionaries overseas, down from 5,600 in 2009. Platt said earlier this year the total number would likely drop to about 4,200—a 25 percent decline from 2009.
The good news is that they're still turning people away from being missionaries abroad, meaning that there are stills ways and hope. The bad news is that this would suggest that the SBC is indeed struggling as much as any other denomination from shrinking members and resources.

I'm pretty sure I can say for David Platt to do this, there really is no other way. The guy has a heart for going abroad.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
HammerStone said:
Here's a link:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2015/august-web-only/southern-baptists-will-cut-800-missionaries-imb-david-platt.html?start=2

The good news is that they're still turning people away from being missionaries abroad, meaning that there are stills ways and hope. The bad news is that this would suggest that the SBC is indeed struggling as much as any other denomination from shrinking members and resources.

I'm pretty sure I can say for David Platt to do this, there really is no other way. The guy has a heart for going abroad.
Does that mean that the Southern Baptists do not allow missionaries to raise their own finances by visiting churches? What are the means of garnering support for missions.

I know that the Christian & Missionary Alliance has a Faith Promise system through its annual missionary conventions to raise promises for missionary giving?

Oz