Secular music

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is listening to secular music a sin?

• Total voters

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
I want to know if listening to non-Christian music is a sin or not. I listen to Secular music myself and want to know how bad it is.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All that is not of faith is sin. Can you rejoice in the Lord while listening to the music? does it edify you in the inner man of faith? Those are better questions.

It depends on the ears doing the listening.

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
All that is not of faith is sin. Can you rejoice in the Lord while listening to the music? does it edify you in the inner man of faith? Those are better questions.

It depends on the ears doing the listening.
Ok let me explain why I listen to secular music. I listen to songs because they sound good. I listen to Christian music for The lyrics, I listen to secular music For the sound. I Never sing secular lyrics or idiolize anyone. I refuse to listen to songs with blasphemy or swearing in it, Is that a sin?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ok let me explain why I listen to secular music. I listen to songs because they sound good. I listen to Christian music for The lyrics, I listen to secular music For the sound. I Never sing secular lyrics or idiolize anyone. I refuse to listen to songs with blasphemy or swearing in it, Is that a sin?

That's fine! Do you eat Christian food? Nothing is evil of itself....it depends on the person and what it is used for.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One pastor had a nice way of putting it. God didn't die to save music, so music is not exactly secular. He died to save people.

That being said, there's obvious music that goes against God and everything he says. I happen to believe most songs can be redeemed and do a fair share of listening to secular music where I find God in them pretty often, really. I've seen churches take songs and use them to minister with - that's how powerful God is.

At the end of the day, unless your music is doing things like calling women names and degrading them, talking about illegal/evil activities, or other junk like that - well you will have a problem in the end. What we put into our minds shapes us to a degree - and at the very least it represents what we are in some ways.

For the record, you can be a Christian music listener, but that doesn't equal salvation.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
I grew up listening to Frank Sinatra, Glenn Miller Orchestra, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, basically my mom's era (she said Glenn Miller was her Beatles). I would always concetrate on listening to the music itself, and not the lyrics much.

I did the same thing with music in my era of the '60's and '70's (pop and classic rock). I had learned to play Hotel California on guitar before I ever paid attention to its lyrics. I was shocked when I discovered what the lyrics were about. So just 'listening' to the music part only is no guarantee we won't be influenced by the lyrics, also, and might even be a worse danger, since our subconscious mind is definitely interpreting the lyrics too.

It's not only music that can have a negative influence on our inner self, movies, books, and TV can too (even to a greater degree I think). If you truly, truly... want to get understanding in God's Word, those things of this world must be put on a shelf in order to 'listen' to God Himself through His Word. It takes self-discipline to do that. But one wouldn't believe how much 'more'... interesting and inwardly fulfilling Bible study becomes with His help in silence, and how it can regenerate one's soul to leaps and bounds above what the things of the world has to offer.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Joseph ...in my honest opinion a sin is what we make it...it you think it is a sin then it probably is...

Exactly..together with...if it makes your brother stumble then you should abstain..

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Rom 14:21-23
21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
(KJV)

I think we still need to be careful with that idea which Paul taught. There's things that we as believers on Christ should not be found guilty of which will bring a hearty recompense upon ourselves, regardless of whether we think they are a sin or not (Galatians 5:18-21).

The kind of things Paul meant by that would be like you enjoy having a glass of wine every once-in-a-while, which is not a sin per God's Word. But a brother visits you who doesn't believe in drinking any alchohol, so you wouldn't want to do that in his presence which would be offending him.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
I would say it depends on the music--particularly the words. Songs with profanity would not be pleasing to God. Nor would songs (including Rap) that glorify sin or crime.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I tend to listen to both sorts of music. It's hard to isolate yourself from things that are not of a Christian nature...musically and otherwise. So the idea would be what are we going to do with these outside sources? There are those we are able to dismiss and do a good job not incorporating into our lives. Some songs I find myself listening to (if they are playing on the radio, or in a shop) I can't help but listen to the lyrics, and even though they are highly ungodly, it just makes me realise how I no longer 'fit in' with the world. They help me realise how lost the world is, and that even though I still sin, it makes me very thankful that the Spirit is alive in me and working to change me.
Other things, other songs, may not be godly songs, but they do no harm, so I feel it's okay to just enjoy the music, the rhythm!
But I really do enjoy listening to Christian music as well. I find listening to Christian music is how my heart praises God. Music is beautiful, as is singing to God. I just can't wait 'til I get to heaven and my voice is better and equal to the praise given!!

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
So called "Christian Contemporary Music" is just a bunch of second rate lounge singer wanna-be's that have no more talent than a high school marching band, and usually sound like them as well all the while going out of their way to bash the listener over the head with Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and other such Christian buzzwords.

Good music is good music. Uplifting music is uplifting music. The Christian community does itself a great disservice by segregating itself from the rest of the world by calling itself something else other than just Music. How can we be an influence on the world when what we pass off as entertainment is just milquetoast pablum of the lowest form?

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
I've been listening to Don Henley's "the heart of the matter" today. I have a co-worker who continually lies to me.

"I've been trying to get down to the heart of the matter
but my will gets weak, and my thoughts they get scattered
but I think its about . . . forgiveness . . . forgiveness . . ."

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
I have been listening to Deftones lately. I dont know If i am being led away or not. I don't care about the lyrics at all, just the tune. I listened to a band Called "incubus" when I was a kid and I Hate the name of the band, Is it a sin to listen to a band with that name?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Gravity Kills is a favorite listen of mine. But I have the original mixdown tracks and only listen to the insturments sans lyrics.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
I dont think so I mean some people have had a pretty hard life and that passion shows through the music its obviously not always christian but its nice of them to share in a constructive way. Try not to get too addicted to music it should never affect your walk with christ.

Reactions: tallycello

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
it has been brought to my attention --first let me say I am a gospel music writer and musician. also have led many worship services.
The music industry today takes a rock song and brings it into a Satan worship room to pray over the master tape to ask for demons to go into all the tapes cds that go out. In my early years as a heavy metal rocker in a band and a devil worshipper I know that if I can get you turned on sexually and emotionally I got a music sale. My lirics must be crazy so as to provoke rebelion.

God offered me the gift of music many years ago so as to cause one to desire to be holy, sensitive to God's voise and to experience his presense. That is a living miracle as a testimony to the world. The guidelines are pray and ask the Lord does this glorify you and serve your kingdom. Music should be putting self to death Gal.2:20 I know I may sound hard here .
Remember Satan had a high position in music and even pipes built in him. He wants to be praised and thought more about than God who he is against in the worst of ways. Great joy comes from letting God have his way in our lives, sometimes giving up things to please him. Great rewards and even substitutes are given so we can enjoy our lives with Jesus.

God has done this for me. He has given things the world would give anything to have. This is not a desire but just a example. Elvis Prestley would sit on the edge of his seat if he could hear what I do with music. He was a man who loved gospel music. That gift came to me for the glory of God.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
So called "Christian Contemporary Music" is just a bunch of second rate lounge singer wanna-be's that have no more talent than a high school marching band, and usually sound like them as well all the while going out of their way to bash the listener over the head with Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and other such Christian buzzwords.

Good music is good music. Uplifting music is uplifting music. The Christian community does itself a great disservice by segregating itself from the rest of the world by calling itself something else other than just Music. How can we be an influence on the world when what we pass off as entertainment is just milquetoast pablum of the lowest form?

My husband hates all the new 'worship' songs, and prefers the old hymns. He says that any song that you can easily replace the word 'Jesus' with 'baby' is just sad and wrong! He has a point!

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
it has been brought to my attention --first let me say I am a gospel music writer and musician. also have led many worship services.
The music industry today takes a rock song and brings it into a Satan worship room to pray over the master tape to ask for demons to go into all the tapes cds that go out. In my early years as a heavy metal rocker in a band and a devil worshipper I know that if I can get you turned on sexually and emotionally I got a music sale. My lirics must be crazy so as to provoke rebelion.

God offered me the gift of music many years ago so as to cause one to desire to be holy, sensitive to God's voise and to experience his presense. That is a living miracle as a testimony to the world. The guidelines are pray and ask the Lord does this glorify you and serve your kingdom. Music should be putting self to death Gal.2:20 I know I may sound hard here .
Remember Satan had a high position in music and even pipes built in him. He wants to be praised and thought more about than God who he is against in the worst of ways. Great joy comes from letting God have his way in our lives, sometimes giving up things to please him. Great rewards and even substitutes are given so we can enjoy our lives with Jesus.

God has done this for me. He has given things the world would give anything to have. This is not a desire but just a example. Elvis Prestley would sit on the edge of his seat if he could hear what I do with music. He was a man who loved gospel music. That gift came to me for the glory of God.

Could you please describe for me what music that puts self to death sounds like,key,chords,tempo,ect ect ? any mp3s or links ? i have certainly heard "music" that sounded like somebody was being put to death.

tallycello

May 14, 2012
"If God is for us, who can be against us" (Rom. 8:31)

Honestly, if you are looking for sin in the lyrics and music, you might find it. What , instead, if you looked for God's Grace in the workings of secular music?
God is everywhere and in everything...also, looking at people, songs, and anything in general with a mind to find evil, you will probably find some evil. If you go in mind of finding where God's Grace has blessed a band or an artisit, you'll probably find that too.