Seek not your own

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Despite all that is being thrown at the church today regarding the acquiring of material things, our seeking is not to be for that which we eat, put on, or intend to consume upon our lusts. (Matt. 6:19-20; James 4:3)

Not surprisingly, without a watch on our attitudes, even the best worldly advancements are able to produce pride and self-promotion in us, as do so many other commendable accomplishments.

How differently being spiritually minded is.

1 Corinthians 10:24, “ Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth.” and to repeat this command, later on, Paul defines charity as she who “seeketh not her own.” (1 Cor. 13:5)

(Imagine that, Scripture considers charity to be a feminine word.)

To the Phillipians, he wrote the same.
Philippians 2:21, “ For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's.”

Jeremiah, too, knew this truth.
Jeremiah 45:5,” And seekest thou great things for thyself? seek them not…”

Our primary seeking should be for the creation of a deep relationship with Jesus Christ (Ps. 27:4). That pursuit will lead us to the acquiring of spiritual thought and tools designed to equip us as believers, labeled as “things which are above” (Col. 3:1).

So what are those things above? Solomon helped us to form a list.
Proverbs 2:3-4, “Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;”

As did David.
Psalm 27:4, “One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple.”

And Paul:
1 Corinthians 14:12, “ Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.”

Reactions: stunnedbygrace