Sell your possessions and give to the poor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 19:

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
If you are convicted of this, you can do so. However, Jesus didn't demand this from every Christian.

Luke 12:

32 Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Many early believers in Jerusalem practiced that when they first joined the church. Acts 2:

44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.
Not everyone was asked to sell their possessions. Logistically, it wasn't practical. Later, Jerusalem church was running out of money. Paul wrote concerning a gift collection to help them out in 2 Corinthians 9:

5 So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for the gift you have promised, so that it may be ready as a willing gift, not as an exaction.
It is up to you to decide whether to give or not.

6 The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
It is up to you to decide how much to give.

7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
In any case, do it cheerfully.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Giving my last dollar to feed the poor is no problem. God always provides my needs.