Sepphoris, the Important Unheard City

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So...
We hear tons about Jerusalem, Brthsaida, Chorazin, Capernaum, and even Nazareth (a nothing town to this day)

But we hear nothing about Sepphoris...and it's importance.

Sepphoris was where Joseph and his kids went to work every day. It was a huge Roman/Jewish city that Herod Antipas (who killed John) had his palace and where John was imprisoned before his beheading.
The place had paved streets and mosaic inlaid sidewalks. Two shopping malls, public baths, a Theatre, a Rabinic center, subdivisions, and just about EVERY amenity that life in a city had to offer. It also had the central Bank. They coined money.

Anyone else up on discussing Herod Antipas or Sepphoris? How about Agrippa?

Prycejosh1987

May 20, 2024
Balsall Heath
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I guess that city would have details about what Jesus was like as a youth. It would also reveal information about John. I stick to what the bible teaches, because that is information enough. I guess the disciples did not discuss these things because it would draw people away from the gospel message. To my knowledge the disciples met Jesus as an adult not as a child. If you have knowledge on a young Jesus as a teenager, please share.

Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess that city would have details about what Jesus was like as a youth. It would also reveal information about John. I stick to what the bible teaches, because that is information enough. I guess the disciples did not discuss these things because it would draw people away from the gospel message. To my knowledge the disciples met Jesus as an adult not as a child. If you have knowledge on a young Jesus as a teenager, please share.
The city is important because knowledge of it and the cultural affects it had upon the people Jesus was speaking to and about are very important. It would be part of the "common knowledge" that was left out of writing of that time period that nobody knows anything about today.
Like "city on a hill" is speaking about most Roman cities in the area and Sepphoris was no exception to this....being able to see the city from afar in the darkened sky.

It also was the home of the Rabbinic center that came and challenged Jesus at Capernaum. The Jerusalem Jews had issues with the Rabbis in Sepphoris as they used the Septuagint as much as the Hebrew scriptures. Where the Jerusalem Jews were strict with Hebrew only.....kinda like those KJV only guys.