Serving Two Masters

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Money or God
Status/ Popularity or God
Power or God
The flesh (addictions) or God

Ive never dreamed of super wealth but I do fear poverty. Money is important to me. I've never reached the stage where I could completely trust God , and let the money issues take care of themselves.
So I guess I am still serving two Masters.
I'm full of anxiety and dont trust God enough it seems.
I envy you people who only serve one master, all the time. The Lord, Jesus Christ.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Money or God
Power or God

Ive never dreamed of super wealth but I do fear poverty. Money is important to me. I've never reached the stage where I could completely trust God , and let the money issues take care of themselves.
I envy you people who only serve one master, all the time. The Lord, Jesus Christ.

I’m with you. Seemingly I am also serving two masters. To me it means double-minded, double-tongued...tossed about like a wave of the sea, driven and carried about by every wind of doctrine. Divided interest. But this world requires money to eat, have shelter, and without money you don’t have those things. Money used to be important to me. Then it wasn’t(because I didn’t have to worry about it). Now it is becoming important again seeing how much is needed or you don’t and can’t make it...not able to take care of yourself, instead having to always look toward someone with money to do it for you. Our daughters have had to start over so many times and I never fully understood their fears or concerns or the mountain they faced. To begin at not having furniture, utensils, lawnmower, ways to wash and dry clothes, food for the cabinets ...or how to have a roof over their head. Countless things it takes to survive and provide while looking at minimal pay to accomplish those things. So the need for money grows, yeah. Point is...you are not alone. I don’t understand. It seems impossible to not grow more and more in love with money which brings with it security. Without money, where is the security. How do you eat? How do you provide? How do you live?

I do think of Proverbs 30:8-9 (although at the moment it makes no sense) Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: [9] Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord ? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Money or God
Power or God

This Hymn comes to mind, the story of its authorship being essential to this understanding.....

1. I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
    I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
    I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
    I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand
    • Refrain:
      Than to be the king of a vast domain
      Or be held in sin’s dread sway;
      I’d rather have Jesus than anything
      This world affords today.
  2. I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
    I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
    I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
    I’d rather be true to His holy name
  3. He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
    He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
    He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
    I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead

About this Hymn:
Although American hymnals show Rhea Miller as the author of this song, Swedish sources attribute the original to Prince Oscar Bernadotte. In 1888 he relinquished his royal title and right to succession in order to marry a commoner who had influenced his religious beliefs. Afterward he was active in Christian service.

I’d Rather Have Jesus > Lyrics | Oscar C. A. Bernadotte (timelesstruths.org)

As the old saying says, "you cannot take it with you when you die", should place all these things in their right perspective, But what we are told to do is to lay up treasures in heaven where Moth and rust do not corrupt. That is what we should be striving to do while we are alive here on earth.

God Bless.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Money or God
Power or God

It is a rare person who in the beginning of his walk with God serves God alone instead of being effectively in some measure double-minded. How many people today calling themselves Christians or followers of Christ never serve more than God alone?

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." Matt 6:24

Remember that it is not money itself that it is the root or source of evil, but the love of money.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." I Tim 6:10

You can have money in an old shoe box or in a savings account above and beyond your immediate needs, but priorities are the thing:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.: Matt 6:33

The "money" could be contained in the "all these things...added" part. The money could the water under Peter's feet as he walked toward Jesus. Keep your eye on Jesus!

When we talk to Lord, we need to ask Him to help us keep our priorities straight. Don't throw out all of the money, but don't focus on it too much either:

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8

Just don't ask amiss:

"Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." James 4:3

Last edited: