Sexual Attrocities in Islam

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elisha Kai

Nov 21, 2007
SEXUAL ATTROCITIES IN ISLAM I do realise that sometimes a philosophy or religion can be distorted by the later acts of its followers. For example, the religious attrocities and wars in Europe are often related to Christianity according to historians. However, an assessment of the Christian scriptures, the Gospels and the Epistles, quickly refute such allegations, since the Christians Scripture, nor Jesus, nor Paul or any of the other apostels, supported war, rape, invasion enslavery or tyranny. If any self-claimed Christian engages in such conduct he breaks away from his Christian foundation.Now I will apply this method to Islam within the light of sexual attrocities. Truly Muslims have engaged in sexual attrocites against their non-Muslim subjects; for example the Islamic rulers of Spain demanded the Christians to bring an annual gift of 70 virgins to the palace, within the 800 years of Islamic rule, that is 800 multiply 70 which is 56.000 cases of rape, and that is only within the Islamic ruling body, I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of Christian girls were raped by Muslim soldiers within that period of Islamic invasion. However, such a story in itself does not support the allegation that Islam permits such attrocities, that is of course unless the Qur'an and the prophet of Islam, Muhammad support such conduct. And that is the problem for Islam, both the Qur'an and Muhammed support sexual attrocites, against female slaves, against female war prisoners and against 6-7 year old girls. This post is an assessment of that. In this post I am looking at the sexual attrocities committed with the support of Muhammad and the Qur'an.I will begin this first post of the tread as introductionary, and more will follow. 1. Rape of female slaves Sura 70:22-30; 23:5-6; 4:24 give full permission for the Muslims to rape their female slaves (the girls taken in war). In Sura 33:50 a special permission is even given for Muhammed. Otherwise Muslims are permitted to have sex with the four wives in addition to raping female slaves:
"...who restrain their carnal desires (except with their wives and slave girls, for these are lawful to them..." (Sura 23: 5-6) "And all married women are forbidden unto you save those captives whom your right hand possess. It is a decree of Allah for you (Sura 4: 24).
According to Tabari vol.39, p.194 the ruler of Alexandria gave a young Christian girl as a gift to Muhammad, her name was Mariyam. Muhammad never married her but used to sleep with her, and she even gave birth to a son who died after 18 months. According to Sahih Bukhari vol.5#637 Ali had sex with a slave girl whom he saw and found beautiful, and Muhammad seemed to have no objections.
Narrated Buraida: The prophet sent Ali to Khalid to bring the Khumus (part of the war booty) and I hated Ali, and Ali had taken a bath (after a sexual act with a slave girl from the Khumus). I said to Khalid, "Don't you see this (i.e. Ali)? When we reached the prophet I mentioned that to him. He said, "O Buraida! Do you hate Ali?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Do you hate him for he deserves more than that from the Khumus." (Sahih Bukhari, vol.5, #637)
In Muhammed's view Ali deserved even more from Khumas than raping a girl taken in war; I wonder what more Muhammed had in mind.I have had several debates with Muslims who are educated in Islam, who see it as an honour and a right to take slaves from their enemies and have sex with them. To these individuals however, having sex with a slave or a women taken in captive is not rape but a right, how blind can you be? I wonder if a Muslim would be of the same opinion if his mother, wife, sister or daughter was held captive by another religious or political faction; I wonder if rape would still be deemed a honourable right or what it truly is RAPE.2. Rape of female captivesAccording to Sahih Bukhari vol.9#506; Sahih Muslim vol.2#3371 Muhammad?s followers used to come to Muhammad after battles, to seek permission and advise to engage in sexual activity with the girls taken in battle. They doubted for several reasons, however, permission was granted. At one point Muhammad gave them permission and told them that it is up to Allah who gets created anyway, thus permission was given. a. The permission from the Koran"
Prophet, We have made lawful to you the wives whom you have granted dowries and the slave girls whom God has given you as booty;..." (Sura 33: 50)
b. Doubt due to fear of less money for selling pregnant slavesNarrated Abu Said Al-Khudri that while he was sitting with Allah's messenger we said,
"Oh Allah's messenger, we got female captives as our booty, and we are interested in their prices, what is your opinion about coitus interruptus?" The prophet said, "Do you really do that? It is better for you not to do it. No soul that which Allah has destined to exist, but will surely come into existence." (Sahih Bukhari, vol.3: 432)
I other words, whether you impregnate them or not, Allah himself decides who will come into existence.c. Fear due to pregnancy
Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri that during the battle with Bani Al-Mustaliq they (Muslims) captured some females and intended to have sexual relations with them without impregnating them. So they asked the prophet about coitus interruptus. The prophet said, "It is better that you should not do it, for Allah has written whom He is going to create till the Day of Resurrection". (Sahih Bukhari, vol.9, #506) (further reference Bukhari 5: 459)
During the battle with Bani Al-Mustaliq they (Muslims) captured some females and intended to have sexual relations with them without impregnating them. So they asked the prophet about coitus interruptus. The prophet said, "It is better that you should not do it, for Allah has written whom He is going to create till the Day of Resurrection". (Sahih Bukhari, vol.9, #506) (further reference Bukhari 5: 459)
Obviously if the women were made pregnate they would loose their prices, whether the intention was ransom or the slave-market.d. Lust or ransom?
Abu Sirma said to Abu Said al Khudri: "O Abu Said, did you hear Allah's messenger mentioning about al-azl (coitus interrupts)?" He said, "Yes", and added: "We went out with Allah's messenger on the expedition to the Mustaliq and took captive some excellent Arab women; and we desired them for we were suffering from the absence of our wives, (but at the same time) we also desired ransom for them. So we decided to have sexual intercourse with them but by observing azl" (withdrawing the male sexual organ before emission of semen to avoid conception). But we said: "We are doing an act whereas Allah's messenger is amongst us; why not ask him?" So we asked Allah's messenger and he said: "It does not matter if you do not do it, for every soul that is to be born up to the Day of Resurrection will be born". (Sahih Muslim vol.2, # 3371)
e. Doubt since their men are polytheists
Abu Said al-Khudri reported that at the Battle of Hunain Allah's messenger sent an army to Autas and encountered the enemy and fought with them. Having overcome them and taken them captives, the Companions of Allah's messenger seemed to refrain from having intercourse with captive women because of their husbands being polytheists. Then Allah, Most High, sent down regarding that: "And women already married, except those whom your right hands possess (Quran - 4:24), (i.e. they were lawful for them when their Idda (menstrual) period came to and end). (Sahih Muslim, vol.2, #3432)
This is seems slightly more positive than the rest, however the reason probably originated from the idea that non-Muslims are unclean:Surah 9:28:
O ye who believe! Truly the pagans are unclean, so let them not, after this year of theirs, approach the Sacred Mosque.
f. Doubt since their husbands watch them being raped
Abu Said al-Khudri said: "The apostle of Allah sent a military expedition to Awtas on the occasion of the battle of Hunain. They met their enemy and fought with them. They defeated them and took them captives. Some of the Companions of the apostle of Allah were reluctant to have intercourse with the female captives in the presence of their husbands who were unbelievers. So Allah, the Exalted, sent down the Quranic verse, "And all married women (are forbidden) unto your save those (captives) whom your right hand possesses". That is to say, they are lawful for them when they complete their waiting period."" [The Quran verse is 4:24]. (Sunan of Abu Dawud, vol.2, #2150)
In this particular incident the men seem to be taken captive too, and are forced to observe the rape of their...well, mothers, wives, sisters and daughters. But oh no, lets remember the Muslim defence of the matter, this is not rape but a right. Some Muslims have even proposed that the Muslim soldiers and the captives had a romantic affair. Well in that case Islam promotes adultary, especially if the husbands are forced to watch.It seems therefore that Islam is not explicitly strict and judgemental over the issue of rape, especially if rape concerns a non-Muslim, as we the later Al-Risala makes us aware of:AL-RISALA (Maliki Manual)37.27 A CHRISTIAN RAPISTIf a Christian rapes a Muslim woman he is to be killed immediately by any Muslim.But a Muslim cannot be executed on account of a non-believer.3. Muhammad and Child bridesIt is recorded in the Hadiths that Muhammad?s second wife (Aisha) was not less than six years old when he (Muhammad) took her into marriage. The first sexual intercourse took place when Aisha was nine years of age; we are told that Muhammad was fifty-six years of age.
Bukhari vol. 7, #65: "Narrated Aisha that the prophet wrote the marriage contract with her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old. Hisham said: "I have been informed that Aisha remained with the prophet for nine years (i.e. till his death).""Bukhari vol. 7, #88: "Narrated Urwa: "The prophet wrote the (marriage contract) with Aisha while she was six years old and consummated his marriage with her while she was nine years old and she remained with him for nine years (i.e. till his death).""From Abu Dawud, Vol. 2, #2116: "Aisha said, "The Apostle of Allah married me when I was seven years old." (The narrator Sulaiman said: "Or six years."). "He had intercourse with me when I was 9 years old."
It can hardly be advisable to marry two nine years old, however if the trend absolutely needs to be enforced we would assume that a nine year old girl would be married to a 12 maybe 13 perhaps even 9-11. We might also accept a marriage between a 25 and 50 years old, even though such a marriage is bound to suffer in some way or other. Yet how about a 56 year old man and 9 year old girl? No offence Muslim, but I would have a problem following this sort of a religion, and I pray you will start reconsidering and wonder if there may be something else out there. Obviously, these acts cannot have originated by the will or revelation or inspiration of God or a prophet acting unbehalf of his will and standard.

Grape

Feb 22, 2008
Numbers 3117 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. - - -35 And thirty and two thousand persons in all, of women that had not known man by lying with him.- - -That is 32000 girls who was going to have to have sex (be raped?) by the very same men who murdered their family and their friends.

Elisha Kai

Nov 21, 2007
Grape wrote:
Numbers 3117 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. - - -35 And thirty and two thousand persons in all, of women that had not known man by lying with him.- - -That is 32000 girls who was going to have to have sex (be raped?) by the very same men who murdered their family and their friends.
Elisha Kai RepliesI do not know whether Grape is a Muslim trying to defend Islam or an individual of any faction that seeks to draw the Israelite religion down with Islam. My first response is: if Grape is a Muslim it will hardly prove an effective defence for Islam to point out that the Mosiac Law permits similar things. Islam still approves, permits and even encourages rape. Secondly, if the intension is merely to point out that the Israelite religion is similar in its ethics, this is not the right thread to post it on, as this thread deals primarily with Islam. I suggest therefore that Grape starts a new thread. Hawing said that, lets look at Number 31You somehow presume that all the girl taken capture were used for the purpose of rape, could you please show me in the text were it explicitly refers to rape or sexual purpose? The very phrase keep alive for yourselves, implies nothing except for what was usual for this particular era, that capture women became slaves of other households in which they remained slaves or initially were married (read Numbers 31: 25-27 and Deuteronomy 20: 14). Other cultures did however practice concubinism and indeed Jews did also by culture and mindset, yet we do not read from the Law of Moses that concubines were permitted, the Mosaic Law is even reluctant against polygamy. Basically the Law of Moses nowhere permits rape or sex with female captives. In fact if an Israelite was attracted to a women taken captive, marriage was a demand (see Deuteronomy 21: 10-14)

Grape

Feb 22, 2008
Since Elisha Kai gave me such a professional answer, I will try to do the same. Sadly I don't have the knowledge nor the intelligence of Elisha Kai so my attempt will probably be futile.The reason I replied to the thread created by Elisha Kai is because I don't like "cherry picking". You will find "Attrocities" in many holy texts, from many religions. I don't doubt that there are alot of them in the Qu'ran but instead of making it a public bashing of islam, why don't make it a public comparison between christian and muslim ethics?I am not a muslim. I was brought up as a secular christian but has since then chosen the right and rational path. - Atheism.I am very sorry if I in any way offended anyone, especially Elisha Kai whom I am sure only hade the most true, honest and polite intentions with the thread.

Elisha Kai

Nov 21, 2007
Since Elisha Kai gave me such a professional answer, I will try to do the same. Sadly I don't have the knowledge nor the intelligence of Elisha Kai so my attempt will probably be futile.The reason I replied to the thread created by Elisha Kai is because I don't like "cherry picking". You will find "Attrocities" in many holy texts, from many religions. I don't doubt that there are alot of them in the Qu'ran but instead of making it a public bashing of islam, why don't make it a public comparison between christian and muslim ethics?I am not a muslim. I was brought up as a secular christian but has since then chosen the right and rational path. - Atheism.I am very sorry if I in any way offended anyone, especially Elisha Kai whom I am sure only hade the most true, honest and polite intentions with the thread.
Elisha Kai replies:You are welcome to make a public comparison between Islam and Christiaity on ethics, however, you will not find the New Testament permitting attrocities, Islam does. It is as simple as that. If you want to include the Old Testament, you are not looking at the Christian faith, you are considering a religious texts that Christian valid as part of a progressive revelation. Christians, including Jesus Christ knew that the Mosaic Law was written for a specific people, in a specific time under specific circumstances. You are welcome to debate Old Testament ethics but then I suggest you ask a practicing Jew. Otherwise I am happy to try, but I follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. My intention with the thread well, lets put it this way, Christianity is typically being bashed even on this forum; in fact Western television channels frequently send anti-biblical programs, the same occurs in Muslim countries; neither you nor any atheist, Gnostic nor Muslim has a problem with that. However, when a Christian provides you critics with the same medicine you don't like it (I would not even call it bashing, unless exposing the attrocities of the SS or Gestopo is public bashing). Search for yourself, Christianity is being criticised in the same manner as I expose Islam in this thread, so lets cut the sentimental issue of who says what about whom and simply acknowledge that we live in a world in which we are permitted to ask questions and present issues that we find relevent even though they are painful. Jesus criticised the Pharisees, Paul criticised the society, it is never wrong to expose the evil of the world. You are certainly welcome to criticise the Christian faith and our ethics.However, I will challenge you to make a comparison between the Christian writings and the Qur'an on the matter of ethics.

Grape

Feb 22, 2008
(Elisha Kai;37642)
Elisha Kai replies:However, I will challenge you to make a comparison between the Christian writings and the Qur'an on the matter of ethics.
I agree with you the Qur'an is in parts a nasty piece of litterature. (atleast most of the parts I have read. And muslims are often far too sensitive about it (danish cartoons, anyone?).And sure, the New Testament is a great improvement over the Old and Jesus was, over all, a nice guy. But even the new has some "shady" parts.Though I don't know if this thread is the right one for it.

Elisha Kai

Nov 21, 2007
I guess you are referring to women being submitted to their husbands and Christians slaves trying to be obedient slaves. These issues may appear a bit shady when not considered in their proper context. But perhaps you had some entirely different ideas in mind. Why don't you open a thread about those shady issues, and we can look at those issuesAnd you will also find that I am not upset with Christianity being publically bashed, I believe we should permit open discussion and avoid political, philosophical and religious correction.