Sharing about "Mormon" temples

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This post is me just sharing some about "Mormon" temples, as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints like myself (nicknamed "Mormon"). I totally acknowledge if that's not your thing, I'm just sharing something special to me and maybe dispelling some misconceptions. It's prompted in part by the current open house of the Washington DC temple ( Open House Begins for Washington D.C. Temple ), which I'll talk more about later.

I'm actually going start this off by talking the difference between a local chapel and temple. My local chapel is where Sunday services are each morning -- my chapel is just a mile down the road. At the local chapel we gather together weekly, partake of the Lord's Supper, sing hymns, have sermons, scripture study classes, etc. During the week there's potlucks, basketball games, youth activities, etc. It's also where baptisms occur for believers. Everyone is welcome & it can be a bustling place. You can also come to just hang out-- during my college days the local chapel was my "rest" place to go amongst all the craziness of the university life. I liked the quiet library while others liked the ping-pong table.

In contrast to the chapel a mile down the road, my nearest temple is about a 1-2 hour drive away. The temple does not host weekly services, nor potlucks, nor basketball games, nor Sunday School. You don't go there just to hang out.

Rather, a believing person enters a temple because they are here to make promises with the Lord, a one of His priests/priestesses. It's a place of participation in faith, not of spectating. You go first for yourself, dedicating your heart/mind/might/soul to Him. Rituals focused on God's great Plan of Salvation: the creation, fall, and salvation of men through faith in Christ. Being washed cleaned and sanctified. Sacramental marriages also happen here. Once you go through for yourself, you may also go through on behalf of deceased family members, in hopes that their departed spirits will embrace Christ (that could be a post itself).

Here's another informative link with photos: What Happens in Latter-day Saint Temples? | ComeUntoChrist

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, bringing this back to the Washington DC temple—

Washington-DC-Temple-exterior.jpeg

Local chapels are open to whomever would like to come. On the other hand, the temple is usually reserved just for believing members wishing to participate -- except for during open houses, like the one going on in DC!! During these times, the doors are open for all whom wish to visit. They happen when a temple is first built, or after a major renovation. In the case of DC, it was originally built in 1974 and just finished a major renovation.

DC is especially special to me because it's where my parent's were married, being not too far from my mom's childhood home. My grandparents volunteered at the DC temple for over a decade. I myself visited & attended as a youth. It holds a special place in my heart.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the local chapel we gather together weekly, partake of the Lord's Supper,

Hi Jane,

I went to a Mormon church with my girlfriend whose ancestors were best friends with Joseph Smith. They served the Lord's Supper but it was not grape juice or wine, and unleavened bread representing the sinless body and blood of Jesus, but water and leavened bread. Is that how it is in all Mormon temples or chapels?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Jane,

I went to a Mormon church with my girlfriend whose ancestors were best friends with Joseph Smith. They served the Lord's Supper but it was not grape juice or wine, and unleavened bread representing the sinless body and blood of Jesus, but water and leavened bread. Is that how it is in all Mormon temples or chapels?
The Lord's Supper is part of weekly services at the local chapel.

These are symbols- not literal blood & flesh. It doesn't matter what you use-- the items aren't the point and they shouldn't be idolized. Rather the purpose is to remember our Lord & His sacrifice. So out of utilitarian tradition, most commonly used items are indeed water and normal bread. That's world wide.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<I apologize in advance if I'm not understanding your question>
But only Mormons, not other denominations is what I meant.
I'm talking about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which is nicknamed "Mormon". It's one world wide denomination, the same wherever you go.

Other denominations have other practices. For example, Catholics believe that the Lord's Supper is literally blood & flesh and are very particular about the elements used. Most Protestants believe it is a symbolic (like LDS Christians) but traditionally use grape juice & a variety of types of bread. Etc.

<Did that get at the question/answer you were looking for?>

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the local chapel we gather together weekly, partake of the Lord's Supper, sing hymns, have sermons, scripture study classes, etc. During the week there's potlucks, basketball games, youth activities, etc. It's also where baptisms occur for believers
As a child around age 6 or 7, I was taken to one of these by an aunt and uncle ...to a local chapel or whatever. I saw my aunt be baptized and some other stuff (kinda foggy) ...and then we went to a gym and there was a basketball game.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a child around age 6 or 7, I was taken to one of these by an aunt and uncle ...to a local chapel or whatever. I saw my aunt be baptized and some other stuff (kinda foggy) ...and then we went to a gym and there was a basketball game.
That’s totally possible. In fact, my family is attending a friend’s baptism tomorrow and there is a high probability a basketball game will also be happening in the same building. Or at least if it is still basketball season…. I’m admittedly really not a sports person and don’t pay attention to that stuff.

Reactions: JohnPaul

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord's Supper is part of weekly services at the local chapel.

These are symbols- not literal blood & flesh. It doesn't matter what you use-- the items aren't the point and they shouldn't be idolized. Rather the purpose is to remember our Lord & His sacrifice. So out of utilitarian tradition, most commonly used items are indeed water and normal bread. That's world wide.
I think it does matter what emblems you use to represent the memorial of Christ, unsweetened wine and unleavened bread as they used at the last supper with Christ, not water or grape juice and regular bread.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it does matter what emblems you use to represent the memorial of Christ, unsweetened wine and unleavened bread as they used at the last supper with Christ, not water or grape juice and regular bread.
I totally acknowledge and respect that view, even though I don’t share it.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<I apologize in advance if I'm not understanding your question>

I'm talking about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which is nicknamed "Mormon". It's one world wide denomination, the same wherever you go.

Other denominations have other practices. For example, Catholics believe that the Lord's Supper is literally blood & flesh and are very particular about the elements used. Most Protestants believe it is a symbolic (like LDS Christians) but traditionally use grape juice & a variety of types of bread. Etc.

<Did that get at the question/answer you were looking for?>

Okay, Jane

Thanks. That's what I thought you meant, but I don't like to assume.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22