Sharings from Ecc

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“I also noticed that under the sun there is evil in the courtroom. Yes, even the courts of law are corrupt! I said to myself, “In due season God will judge everyone, both good and bad, for all their deeds.” I also thought about the human condition—how God proves to people that they are like animals. For people and animals share the same fate—both breathe and both must die. So people have no real advantage over the animals. How meaningless! Both go to the same place—they came from dust and they return to dust. For who can prove that the human spirit goes up and the spirit of animals goes down into the earth? So I saw that there is nothing better for people than to be happy in their work. That is our lot in life. And no one can bring us back to see what happens after we die.”
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭3:16-22‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“Again, I observed all the oppression that takes place under the sun. I saw the tears of the oppressed, with no one to comfort them. The oppressors have great power, and their victims are helpless. So I concluded that the dead are better off than the living. But most fortunate of all are those who are not yet born. For they have not seen all the evil that is done under the sun. Then I observed that most people are motivated to success because they envy their neighbors. But this, too, is meaningless—like chasing the wind. “Fools fold their idle hands, leading them to ruin.” And yet, “Better to have one handful with quietness than two handfuls with hard work and chasing the wind.””
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭4:1-6‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding equality with animals, what does the bible tell us:

Matthew 6:26

New King James Version

26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?

Reactions: MatthewG

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also @MatthewG it is worthy to note that are judicial system has changed tremendously since the book of Ecclesiastes was written, some 3,000 years ago.

Reactions: ChristisGod

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“A good reputation is more valuable than costly perfume. And the day you die is better than the day you are born.

Better to spend your time at funerals than at parties. After all, everyone dies— so the living should take this to heart. Sorrow is better than laughter, for sadness has a refining influence on us. A wise person thinks a lot about death, while a fool thinks only about having a good time.

Better to be criticized by a wise person than to be praised by a fool. A fool’s laughter is quickly gone, like thorns crackling in a fire. This also is meaningless. Extortion turns wise people into fools, and bribes corrupt the heart.

Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride. Control your temper, for anger labels you a fool.

Don’t long for “the good old days.”

This is not wise. Wisdom is even better when you have money. Both are a benefit as you go through life. Wisdom and money can get you almost anything, but only wisdom can save your life. Accept the way God does things, for who can straighten what he has made crooked?

Enjoy prosperity while you can, but when hard times strike, realize that both come from God. Remember that nothing is certain in this life.”
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭7:1-14‬ ‭NLT‬‬

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“As you enter the house of God, keep your ears open and your mouth shut. It is evil to make mindless offerings to God.

Don’t make rash promises, and don’t be hasty in bringing matters before God.

After all, God is in heaven, and you are here on earth. So let your words be few.

Too much activity gives you restless dreams; too many words make you a fool. When you make a promise to God, don’t delay in following through, for God takes no pleasure in fools. Keep all the promises you make to him. It is better to say nothing than to make a promise and not keep it.

Don’t let your mouth make you sin. And don’t defend yourself by telling the Temple messenger that the promise you made was a mistake.

That would make God angry, and he might wipe out everything you have achieved.

Talk is cheap, like daydreams and other useless activities. Fear God instead.”
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭5:1-7‬ ‭NLT‬‬

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding equality with animals, what does the bible tell us:

Matthew 6:26

New King James Version

26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?

Thank you for sharing. God sees us as human beings valuable, and desires to take care of us just as the birds. Willingly on our part we give ourselves over to God in faith of the Lord Jesus Christ and the promise that he makes here in the section of the Gospel. Which leads to prayers and supplications to be helped by the spirit that lives within us.

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“I also noticed that under the sun there is evil in the courtroom. Yes, even the courts of law are corrupt! I said to myself, “In due season God will judge everyone, both good and bad, for all their deeds.” I also thought about the human condition—how God proves to people that they are like animals. For people and animals share the same fate—both breathe and both must die. So people have no real advantage over the animals. How meaningless! Both go to the same place—they came from dust and they return to dust. For who can prove that the human spirit goes up and the spirit of animals goes down into the earth? So I saw that there is nothing better for people than to be happy in their work. That is our lot in life. And no one can bring us back to see what happens after we die.”
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭3:16-22‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“Again, I observed all the oppression that takes place under the sun. I saw the tears of the oppressed, with no one to comfort them. The oppressors have great power, and their victims are helpless. So I concluded that the dead are better off than the living. But most fortunate of all are those who are not yet born. For they have not seen all the evil that is done under the sun. Then I observed that most people are motivated to success because they envy their neighbors. But this, too, is meaningless—like chasing the wind. “Fools fold their idle hands, leading them to ruin.” And yet, “Better to have one handful with quietness than two handfuls with hard work and chasing the wind.””
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭4:1-6‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Ecc is a great book for defining what death is Matt, I appreciate that. I fail to understand why you think no one can bring us back however, keep in mind that although this is part of the inspired Scriptures, that Solomon was speaking about what was in his heart v18. He was very well aware that there would be a resurrection, Abraham yrs before was aware of it. Chap 9:10 clarifies it better I think, I think Solomon was simply pointing out, that you will observing nothing after you while you are in the grave.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing shared here may or may not reflect my own personal beliefs.

Just sharing from the book itself.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“This, too, I carefully explored: Even though the actions of godly and wise people are in God’s hands, no one knows whether God will show them favor.

The same destiny ultimately awaits everyone, whether righteous or wicked, good or bad, ceremonially clean or unclean, religious or irreligious.

Good people receive the same treatment as sinners, and people who make promises to God are treated like people who don’t.

It seems so wrong that everyone under the sun suffers the same fate. Already twisted by evil, people choose their own mad course, for they have no hope.

There is nothing ahead but death anyway. There is hope only for the living. As they say, “It’s better to be a live dog than a dead lion!” The living at least know they will die, but the dead know nothing.

They have no further reward, nor are they remembered. Whatever they did in their lifetime—loving, hating, envying—is all long gone.

They no longer play a part in anything here on earth. So go ahead.

Eat your food with joy, and drink your wine with a happy heart, for God approves of this! Wear fine clothes, with a splash of cologne!

Live happily with the woman you love through all the meaningless days of life that God has given you under the sun. The wife God gives you is your reward for all your earthly toil. Whatever you do, do well.

For when you go to the grave, there will be no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom. I have observed something else under the sun. The fastest runner doesn’t always win the race, and the strongest warrior doesn’t always win the battle.

The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are not necessarily wealthy. And those who are educated don’t always lead successful lives. It is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time.

People can never predict when hard times might come. Like fish in a net or birds in a trap, people are caught by sudden tragedy.”
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭9:1-12‬ ‭NLT‬‬

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Here is another bit of wisdom that has impressed me as I have watched the way our world works. There was a small town with only a few people, and a great king came with his army and besieged it. A poor, wise man knew how to save the town, and so it was rescued. But afterward no one thought to thank him. So even though wisdom is better than strength, those who are wise will be despised if they are poor. What they say will not be appreciated for long. Better to hear the quiet words of a wise person than the shouts of a foolish king. Better to have wisdom than weapons of war, but one sinner can destroy much that is good.”
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭9:13-18‬ ‭NLT‬‬

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“As dead flies cause even a bottle of perfume to stink, so a little foolishness spoils great wisdom and honor.

A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one.

You can identify fools just by the way they walk down the street!

If your boss is angry at you, don’t quit! A quiet spirit can overcome even great mistakes. There is another evil I have seen under the sun.

Kings and rulers make a grave mistake when they give great authority to foolish people and low positions to people of proven worth.

I have even seen servants riding horseback like princes—and princes walking like servants! When you dig a well, you might fall in.

When you demolish an old wall, you could be bitten by a snake.

When you work in a quarry, stones might fall and crush you. When you chop wood, there is danger with each stroke of your ax. Using a dull ax requires great strength, so sharpen the blade.

That’s the value of wisdom; it helps you succeed.

If a snake bites before you charm it, what’s the use of being a snake charmer?

Wise words bring approval, but fools are destroyed by their own words.

Fools base their thoughts on foolish assumptions, so their conclusions will be wicked madness; they chatter on and on.

No one really knows what is going to happen; no one can predict the future. Fools are so exhausted by a little work that they can’t even find their way home.”
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭10:1-15‬ ‭NLT‬‬

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Again, I observed all the oppression that takes place under the sun. I saw the tears of the oppressed, with no one to comfort them. The oppressors have great power, and their victims are helpless. So I concluded that the dead are better off than the living.

thank you for sharing. I’ve never read that version of those verses before.

‘Again, I observed all the oppression that takes place under the sun. I saw the tears of the oppressed, with no one to comfort them. The oppressors have great power, and their victims are helpless. So I concluded that the dead are better off than the living.’ Reminds me of
Proverbs 29:2 Lexicon: When the righteous increase, the people rejoice, But when a wicked man rules, people groan.

Reactions: MatthewG

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kings and rulers make a grave mistake when they give great authority to foolish people and low positions to people of proven worth.

Yea but …don’t you hate that “yea but…” because here comes maybe a silly thought. Considering how God takes the foolish things of this world to confound the wise. Sounds kind of like something God would do “low positions to people of proven worth.” As in He is with the lowly…a broken and contrite heart He is with. And to give great authority to foolish people …what of having this treasure in weak vessels so that the Power that surpasses will be of God and not men? And if that isn’t enough to consider. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard how God chose lowly fishermen, outcast with issues(yea?), the less likely and not the Pharisees, leaders or rulers… a tax collector He chose also!

Last edited: