Shepherd of Hermas

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Book that Almost Made it into the Bible
Commentary:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shepherd Of Hermas [Full Non-Dramatized Audiobook]
3 hrs 50 min.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Book that Almost Made it into the Bible
Commentary:

I am kind of ignorant on how the selection of the 66 books became the Bible, but I do believe it is correct. Some books referred to as apocrypha have made it into some versions, but reading about why they should not be there some of them contradict the Bible, and others cannot be confirmed. But I do believe the 66 books of the Bible, are definitely complete, and contain everything we need to know at this time to gain salvation.

Historically Jehovah has always educated His people with our time period as being no exception Isa 2:2,3; Dan 12:4, and quite logically new teachings will come when the Kingdom comes as well. Life will always be about gaining knowledge eternally, although we will never know all God does Ecc 3:11

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am kind of ignorant on how the selection of the 66 books became the Bible, but I do believe it is correct. Some books referred to as apocrypha have made it into some versions, but reading about why they should not be there some of them contradict the Bible, and others cannot be confirmed. But I do believe the 66 books of the Bible, are definitely complete, and contain everything we need to know at this time to gain salvation.

Historically Jehovah has always educated His people with our time period as being no exception Isa 2:2,3; Dan 12:4, and quite logically new teachings will come when the Kingdom comes as well. Life will always be about gaining knowledge eternally, although we will never know all God does Ecc 3:11

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I listened to the book last night, all 3 hours and 50 minutes of it.
I found it encouraging, enlightening, and morally and ethically truthful.
I can't explain the book in my own words. I'm having trouble descibing it other than it aides in giving a deeper understanding of our walk in life following the Lord. How we should behave. Double mindedness. How the church is being built by stones that represent the members in the church.
It has proverbs and revelations and it has 12 laws which are the commandment of the Lord.
It talks about the elect and saints and the way which we as members should behave towards one another.
It is very insightful.

I would suggest if someone has time, just to listen to it throughout the day. I started it at 1am this morning and followed it to the end.

My hurdle is when it involves angels or spiritual entities giving these messages. Whether it be Old Testament or New.
In this case, the book begins with a woman who says she is the church. And is asked by Hermas to explain this tower that is being built with stones which represent the Elect, the Apostles and Deacons, and the rest of the members.
She explains there are 7 daughters which hold up the church which the Eldest is Faith and names them to the last which is Love in this version and Charity in another. Which seems to correspond with Paul's list ending with, and the greatest of these is charity.

Proverbs, I meant parables, follow with the teach of the sower of the word, instead of seeds, stones are used. And how each group of stones has it's own set of flaws which it must overcome.

I heard no falseness in the words being spoken. Like I say, my only hurdle is the "vision" or "visitation" by those speaking.
I never met an angel. And I won't say they exist or not. I just have never personally experienced one.
I have the same issue throughout the whole bible. Whether it be an angel under a tree, standing by a river, riding a horse, or talking to a donkey.

Be that as it may, it does give one a more indepth look at the condition of the heart of man.
I will listen to it again.

Thank you Robert
Hugs

Reactions: Robert Gwin

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read all, or part, of this book once, and if memory serves, it was very repetitive and boring after a while.
I have trouble reading print. So I've only just listened to this book one time so far.
I suppose it's easy enough a child could understand it.
As far as repetative, I would have to go back and pay more attention.
I appreciate your feedback.
Thank You
Hugs

Reactions: Bob Estey