Should Christians say "Oh my God"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't, and I didn't let my kids say that when living under my roof. Having said that, when other people say it, Christians or not, they don't bother me. The phrase by itself does not violate the commandment: You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain. It is not what you say but what you mean by it. In some usages, it may violate the commandment.

Instead of "Oh my God," when you are surprised positively, you can say "Wow!". If you are in disbelief, you can say "No way!".

Is saying Oh my God as an exclamation of shock or surprise a violation of the Commandment?

No.

Reactions: amadeus

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I don't, and I didn't let my kids say that when living under my roof. Having said that, when other people say it, Christians or not, they don't bother me. The phrase by itself does not violate the commandment: You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain. It is not what you say but what you mean by it. In some usages, it may violate the commandment.

Instead of "Oh my God," when you are surprised positively, you can say "Wow!". If you are in disbelief, you can say "No way!".

Is saying Oh my God as an exclamation of shock or surprise a violation of the Commandment?

No.
If its not a sin why are people inclined to say it in explanation? Or for that matter saying "Jesus Christ" in frustration.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Should Christians say "Oh my God"?​

The 'should' factor is dangerously subjective and is determined by who/ what? Other mens opinions?

Doesn't the 'should' factor fall under the banner of law? ....and seeing so many are opposed to law, how is it they are ready and willing to call on 'should' ?

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If its not a sin why are people inclined to say it in explanation? Or for that matter saying "Jesus Christ" in frustration.
It could be a sin, depending on the intention/attitude of the speaker.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It could be a sin, depending on the intention/attitude of the speaker.
Could you be trapped in the cognitive?......maybe, maybe not!
Did you marry your wife for what reasons? purely cognitive? emotional?