Should christians stop celebrating Valentine's day

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And at the same time we call the Jewish Holidays evil.
Jewish holidays are not evil. They are historically and prophetically relevant.
Paul spent a lot of time arguing against the Juda-izers, who argued that we must become ritualistic Jews, first, before we can be Christians --that is an error-- but some [most?] of their rituals are relevant to us in non-ritualistic ways.

Example: Jesus diminished ritualistic hand-washing [Matt. 15], but hygienic hand-washing turned out to be a really really good idea...! ;)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This reminds me of the All Hollows Eve attack, saying it is a pagan holiday (Halloween - Wikipedia), Valentines day is apparently a feast day named after a Christian martyr Saint (Valentine's Day - Wikipedia).

Both are Saint days of Christian origin, but for some reason people find loose pagan association and claim they're evil instead.

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This reminds me of the All Hollows Eve attack, saying it is a pagan holiday (Halloween - Wikipedia), Valentines day is apparently a feast day named after a Christian martyr Saint (Valentine's Day - Wikipedia).

Both are Saint days of Christian origin, but for some reason people find loose pagan association and claim they're evil instead.

I just drown it all out because nobody can stop me from being myself. :D

Reactions: dev553344

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You still want to trade your old "self" for a new "self."

Jesus said,
"For whoever desires to save [her] life will lose it,
but whoever loses [her] life for My sake will find it." Matthew 16:25 NKJV​

And I did as soon as I came to Christ. Doesn't mean I'm going to totally change my interests and personality just because some strangers on the internet want me to though. Nope!! Not happening!! :D

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just in case someone else wants to celebrate with me on Valentine's Day...
I made an orange marmalade cake to celebrate.
h83aRRt.jpg

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have my fax number...?
full
As I was icing that cake my wife started quoting scriptures at me from the Old Testament....about not harvesting the corners of the field...

So I quoted back to her to not muzzle the ox while treading out the grain.

We both like the cream cheese frosting.

:D

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I could I would share my Oreo birthday cake that I'm having next week. :D

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jewish holidays are not evil. They are historically and prophetically relevant.
Paul spent a lot of time arguing against the Juda-izers, who argued that we must become ritualistic Jews, first, before we can be Christians --that is an error-- but some [most?] of their rituals are relevant to us in non-ritualistic ways.

Example: Jesus diminished ritualistic hand-washing [Matt. 15], but hygienic hand-washing turned out to be a really really good idea...! ;)
You are correct. Paul was going against the Judaizers, who were telling the new converts that they have to be circumcise in flesh and keep the command of moses in order to be saved. But to observe the feasts of Yahweh does not save you, but you should have a desire that you want to, because you love Him. By observing the feasts of Yahweh does NOT make you jewish. That's what the children of Israel and the sojourners(gentile, nation) did. Yahweh is against the nations holidays, because it is not his. Yahweh would be looking down from Heaven, turn his head away, and refuse this kind of worship at His alter.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should christians stop celebrating valentines day? There is no commandment innscripture to do so. I wonderwhat God is thinking about right now, the things that his children should not associate with.
Why not Christmas too? Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not Christmas too? Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus.
Most people who question Valentine's Day already know that about Christmas (and Easter & Halloween, too). IIRC, the OP already acknowledged that.* I only disagree with the OP about implementation.

*That isn't a worthwhile objection.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: kcnalp

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you disagree with?
Outward change without inward conviction first.
Those who recognize the pagan nature of worldly practices must speak up, but it isn't our job to drive it home.

Even those who recognize these have even more things that we ourselves don't yet recognize [1 Corinthians 13:12]. That is the purpose of grace for all of us. And that is where all of us will live until we arrive at 1 John 3:2.

"He has shown you, O man, what is good;
And what does the Lord require of you

But to do justly,
To love mercy,
And to walk humbly with your God?
" Micah 6:8 NKJV​

Reactions: TLHKAJ