Should churches celebrate inclusion? A report from Texas

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saint of Light

Aug 22, 2023
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Openly gay North Texas pastor reflects on path to the pulpit, celebrates inclusion​

Rev. Jane Graner of Trinity UMC Duncanville is believed to be the first openly gay pastor ordained in the southern jurisdiction of the United Methodist Church.

DUNCANVILLE, Texas — The sanctuary of Trinity United Methodist Church in Duncanville is a safe space. Its pastor and members want people to know all are welcome.

“I just know God is with us, because of everything that we’ve been through,” said Rev. Jane Graner.

Graner, or Pastor Jane, as she’s commonly called, is the lead pastor at Trinity UMCD. She knows a lot about church and acceptance.

Article continues here: Openly gay North Texas pastor reflects on path to the pulpit, celebrates inclusion

The scriptures are unequivocally clear: Jesus loves and accepts all people. There aren’t any examples in the Gospels where he turned down anybody for their particular imperfection. All were welcome to belong to our savior.

In Matthew 15:21-28, a Canaanite woman pleaded with Jesus for help. Her daughter was suffering with an affliction described as demonic possession (and I suppose that can be interpreted metaphorically to describe a type of illness that she couldn’t describe, since they didn’t have modern science back then). Jesus’ disciples wanted to turn her away because she was a foreigner and presumably practiced another religion. But you know what Christ did? He healed her daughter right then and there with a miracle even though she wasn’t an Israelite.

Or what about all those lepers Jesus healed in scriptures such as Mark 1:40-45? In those days lepers were seen as untouchable and avoided by everyone. But Jesus loved them, even the outcasts of society, and he made them whole.

You see, Jesus doesn’t turn anyone down who seeks his love, mercy, compassion, and saving grace. Our lord wants everyone to belong to him: Normal people, rich people, poor people, all nationalities, and yes, even gay and transgender people. He never turns anyone down because God is love. For this reason, I think it’s right for churches to celebrate inclusion. It’s what Christ would do.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The real truth is God's will is you being made holy and perfect before HIM.

Matthew 5:48
Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Jesus tells the people He helps to go and sin no more.
Homosexuality is sexual immorality.

1 Thessalonians 4 New King James Version
Plea for Purity
1 Finally then, brethren, we urge and exhort in the Lord Jesus that you should abound more and more, just as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God; 2 for you know what commandments we gave you through the Lord Jesus.

3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality;

******************************************************************************************
John 5:13-15 New King James Version

13 But the one who was healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, a multitude being in that place. 14 Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you.”

15 The man departed and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well.
*******************************************************************************************
John 8
10 When Jesus had raised Himself up [a]and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?”

11 She said, “No one, Lord.”

And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go [c]and sin no more.”

12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine. (1 Tim. 1:9–10)

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Corinthians 6:8-10 New King James Version

8 No, you yourselves do wrong and cheat, and you do these things to your brethren! 9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor [a]homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

• Love

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Apostle Paul warns people saying, 'Do Not Be Decieved' And lists some things that will prevent people from inheriting eternal life, one of which is sodomites, and homosexuality as God considers those to be sexual immorality. Also, Fornication along with other things which are also the works of the flesh.

• Love

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Galatians 5
13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!

Walking in the Spirit​

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: [d]adultery, [e]fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, [f]murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 [g]gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

• Love

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
KJ21
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, and they are these: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
ASV
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
AMP
Now the practices of the sinful nature are clearly evident: they are sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality (total irresponsibility, lack of self-control),
AMPC
Now the doings (practices) of the flesh are clear (obvious): they are immorality, impurity, indecency,
BRG
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
CSB
Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity,
CEB
The actions that are produced by selfish motives are obvious, since they include sexual immorality, moral corruption, doing whatever feels good,
CJB
And it is perfectly evident what the old nature does. It expresses itself in sexual immorality, impurity and indecency;

• Love

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Romans 1 is also very clear about this. And scripture gives us lots of warnings to not be deceived cause well, people get deceived about these things.

God’s Wrath on Unrighteousness​

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who [d]suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is [e]manifest [f]in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and [g]Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like [h]corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their [i]women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the [j]men, leaving the natural use of the [k]woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, [l]sexual immorality, wickedness, [m]covetousness, [n]maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 [o]undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, [p]unforgiving, unmerciful; 32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Methodist church has lost its way
and yet what i say to one i say to all , verily verily i tell us far more than just the methodist have lost the way .
many now preach a jesus that is NO JESUS
many now preach a love that cometh not of GOD but rather of the world under the guise its coming from GOD .
But yes , the methodist church has long lost its way . for its way is as the way and ways of many
and not the WAY which is OF CHRIST ALONE . many there be that have entered into the sheep fold
by means of devices of men . THEY have no covering , only a covering that accepts sin rather than corrects sin .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Romans 12 tells us not to be conformed to this world, but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds!
And we can see what the scriptures say about these things.....

So then let us believe what God has said, lest we fall into the serpent's trap when he says to Eve has God indeed said...
Scripture also tells us God has gifted to each of us who are saved a measure of faith! As also does Ephesians 2, which is why we get saved and continue persevering through trials having faith in Christ, through good times and bad times.
We look to Jesus Christ, the author and finisher of our faith.,

Living Sacrifices to God​

1 I beseech[a] you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your [b]reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Serve God with Spiritual Gifts​

3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.

• Love

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is not inclusive, He discriminates against sin. God is love, but He's also a judge.

"Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven." (Matt 7:21)

Last edited:

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Corinthians 5

Immorality Must Be Judged​

9 I wrote to you in my epistle not to [f]keep company with sexually immoral people. 10 Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person.

12 For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 13 But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.”

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev. Jane Graner of Trinity UMC Duncanville is believed to be the first openly gay pastor ordained in the southern jurisdiction of the United Methodist Church.

You see, Jesus doesn’t turn anyone down who seeks his love, mercy, compassion, and saving grace. Our lord wants everyone to belong to him: Normal people, rich people, poor people, all nationalities, and yes, even gay and transgender people. He never turns anyone down because God is love. For this reason, I think it’s right for churches to celebrate inclusion. It’s what Christ would do.
Hello Saint of Light, the Lord Jesus came here and died that horrible death on the Cross in our stead to save us from our sins (e.g. Matthew 1:21), not to give us a license to continue in our sins/sinful lifestyles, and/or to sin even more!

We know that
"agapē [Godly love] does not rejoice in unrighteous, but rejoices with the truth" .. 1 Corinthians 13:6, so for Christians and/or churches to "celebrate inclusion" is always wrong, because celebrating inclusion means celebrating sin.

Quite frankly, even if we remain silent (when we are confronted by someone who is openly/proudly practicing their sin/sinful lifestyle before us and others, and EXPECIALLY when they are doing so in the church) we, because we are Christians, give tacit approval to their sin.

It has been given to us to love unbelievers/sinners towards God and, hopefully then, into His Kingdom (which we do by speaking God's truth to them, in love ... the truth about their desparate need for the Savior, and the truth, then, about why they need to repent of their sins). To do otherwise is to chase these same people away from God and His Kingdom and towards an eternity in the Lake of Fire instead :oops:

For us (Christians) then, "loving" someone can never mean helping them feel good about themselves (and the sin that they love) in the moment, which we do whenever we fail to tell them the truth, or when we lie to them about it. Rather, they need to hear the truth, and if we don't tell them, who will?

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Spurgeon - if sinners be...arms about knees.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Downey