SILENCE IN HEAVEN - Revelation 8,9,10 - The Seven Angels

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 8
New King James Version

Seventh Seal: Prelude to the Seven Trumpets

8 When He opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour. 2 And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and to them were given seven trumpets. 3 Then another angel, having a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne. 4 And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, ascended before God from the angel’s hand. 5 Then the angel took the censer, filled it with fire from the altar, and threw it to the earth. And there were noises, thunderings, lightnings, and an earthquake.

6 So the seven angels who had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.

First Trumpet: Vegetation Struck
7 The first angel sounded: And hail and fire followed, mingled with blood, and they were thrown to the earth. And a third of the trees were burned up, and all green grass was burned up.

Second Trumpet: The Seas Struck
8 Then the second angel sounded: And something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea, and a third of the sea became blood. 9 And a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

Third Trumpet: The Waters Struck
10 Then the third angel sounded: And a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. 11 The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood, and many men died from the water, because it was made bitter.

Fourth Trumpet: The Heavens Struck
12 Then the fourth angel sounded: And a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them were darkened. A third of the day did not shine, and likewise the night.

13 And I looked, and I heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, “Woe, woe, woe to the inhabitants of the earth, because of the remaining blasts of the trumpet of the three angels who are about to sound!”

Revelation 9

Fifth Trumpet: The Locusts from the Bottomless Pit

9 Then the fifth angel sounded: And I saw a star fallen from heaven to the earth. To him was given the key to the bottomless pit. 2 And he opened the bottomless pit, and smoke arose out of the pit like the smoke of a great furnace. So the sun and the air were darkened because of the smoke of the pit. 3 Then out of the smoke locusts came upon the earth. And to them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power. 4 They were commanded not to harm the grass of the earth, or any green thing, or any tree, but only those men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. 5 And they were not given authority to kill them, but to torment them for five months. Their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it strikes a man. 6 In those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will desire to die, and death will flee from them.

7 The shape of the locusts was like horses prepared for battle. On their heads were crowns of something like gold, and their faces were like the faces of men. 8 They had hair like women’s hair, and their teeth were like lions’ teeth. 9 And they had breastplates like breastplates of iron, and the sound of their wings was like the sound of chariots with many horses running into battle. 10 They had tails like scorpions, and there were stings in their tails. Their power was to hurt men five months. 11 And they had as king over them the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, but in Greek he has the name Apollyon.

12 One woe is past. Behold, still two more woes are coming after these things.

Sixth Trumpet: The Angels from the Euphrates
13 Then the sixth angel sounded: And I heard a voice from the four horns of the golden altar which is before God, 14 saying to the sixth angel who had the trumpet, “Release the four angels who are bound at the great river Euphrates.” 15 So the four angels, who had been prepared for the hour and day and month and year, were released to kill a third of mankind. 16 Now the number of the army of the horsemen was two hundred million; I heard the number of them. 17 And thus I saw the horses in the vision: those who sat on them had breastplates of fiery red, hyacinth blue, and sulfur yellow; and the heads of the horses were like the heads of lions; and out of their mouths came fire, smoke, and brimstone. 18 By these three plagues a third of mankind was killed—by the fire and the smoke and the brimstone which came out of their mouths. 19 For their power is in their mouth and in their tails; for their tails are like serpents, having heads; and with them they do harm.

20 But the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and idols of gold, silver, brass, stone, and wood, which can neither see nor hear nor walk. 21 And they did not repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts.

Revelation 10

The Mighty Angel with the Little Book

10 I saw still another mighty angel coming down from heaven, clothed with a cloud. And a rainbow was on his head, his face was like the sun, and his feet like pillars of fire. 2 He had a little book open in his hand. And he set his right foot on the sea and his left foot on the land, 3 and cried with a loud voice, as when a lion roars. When he cried out, seven thunders uttered their voices. 4 Now when the seven thunders uttered their voices, I was about to write; but I heard a voice from heaven saying to me, “Seal up the things which the seven thunders uttered, and do not write them.”

5 The angel whom I saw standing on the sea and on the land raised up his hand to heaven 6 and swore by Him who lives forever and ever, who created heaven and the things that are in it, the earth and the things that are in it, and the sea and the things that are in it, that there should be delay no longer, 7 but in the days of the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, the mystery of God would be finished, as He declared to His servants the prophets.

John Eats the Little Book
8 Then the voice which I heard from heaven spoke to me again and said, “Go, take the little book which is open in the hand of the angel who stands on the sea and on the earth.”

9 So I went to the angel and said to him, “Give me the little book.”

And he said to me, “Take and eat it; and it will make your stomach bitter, but it will be as sweet as honey in your mouth.”

10 Then I took the little book out of the angel’s hand and ate it, and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth. But when I had eaten it, my stomach became bitter. 11 And he said to me, “You must prophesy again about many peoples, nations, tongues, and kings.”

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above passages of scripture (Revelation 8,9, and 10) are commonly referred to as the events of the end times...and indeed they are. However, they are not the end of the end times, but rather something to be explained.

The scriptures are written in many forms, but the general form that encompasses them all, is story form, as if all that is written can be explained as existing on a timeline. But that is not how stories are written. Stories are rather first conceived, then written, then published...and even then only known when read or heard. In fact, the would-be timeline is completely fabricated. Which is not to say that the scriptures are completely fabricated, but rather that they were manifest...which for all practical purposes, either means they were indeed fabricated, or that they were "created" in "image" form...and told in story form. Remember--we are taking about the media of God, perhaps even beyond the imagination of many, certainly beyond the imagination of many generations. And why--why has it eluded us? Because we are so immersed within it all that we too are merely created in the image of all that is true. This is our world, and yet not...so we see it all as literal, even though we have been told from the beginning that it is all mere image and passing away.

What does that have to do with Revelation 8-10? It is a synopsis, a little story of the big story, or a little picture of the big picture. Which, yes, means it is not about the end times of the end times--it's about all of time. Yes, the book of revelation as a whole could very well have begun: "In the beginning..." However, none of this is going to make any sense--just as it has not made any sense since the beginning, unless one is able to step back and view what is written as we do every other book. That is, as first conceived, then written, then published, then read or heard--all occurring within God timelessly by His nature, rather than by that created nature that we are more prone to look at all things by, knowing nothing more.

What does that look like? It looks like all that is written all overlaid upon everything that is also written...just as it has been reported by some, when the clock stopped and all of life passed before their eyes. Such is the nature of God, which has been aptly described as "in the twinkling of an eye." But do remember, Revelation 8-10 is just a little picture, and therefore should be easier to work with.

And--it looks like "silence in heaven."

I recommend reading Revelation 8-10 (above) with the presence of mind to imagine it all by the timeless nature of God, as all occurring at all times throughout history--that is, since the beginning of the world until the end. The actual end of which is then, the sounding of the seventh angel.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mr E

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above passages of scripture (Revelation 8,9, and 10) are commonly referred to as the events of the end times...and indeed they are. However, they are not the end of the end times, but rather something to be explained.

The scriptures are written in many forms, but the general form that encompasses them all, is story form, as if all that is written can be explained as existing on a timeline. But that is not how stories are written. Stories are rather first conceived, then written, then published...and even then only known when read or heard. In fact, the would-be timeline is completely fabricated. Which is not to say that the scriptures are completely fabricated, but rather that they were manifest...which for all practical purposes, either means they were indeed fabricated, or that they were "created" in "image" form...and told in story form. Remember--we are taking about the media of God, perhaps even beyond the imagination of many, certainly beyond the imagination of many generations. And why--why has it eluded us? Because we are so immersed within it all that we too are merely created in the image of all that is true. This is our world, and yet not...so we see it all as literal, even though we have been told from the beginning that it is all mere image and passing away.

What does that have to do with Revelation 8-10? It is a synopsis, a little story of the big story, or a little picture of the big picture. Which, yes, means it is not about the end times of the end times--it's about all of time. Yes, the book of revelation as a whole could very well have begun: "In the beginning..." However, none of this is going to make any sense--just as it has not made any sense since the beginning, unless one is able to step back and view what is written as we do every other book. That is, as first conceived, then written, then published, then read or heard--all occurring within God timelessly by His nature, rather than by that created nature that we are more prone to look at all things by, knowing nothing more.

What does that look like? It looks like all that is written all overlaid upon everything that is also written...just as it has been reported by some, when the clock stopped and all of life passed before their eyes. Such is the nature of God, which has been aptly described as "in the twinkling of an eye." But do remember, Revelation 8-10 is just a little picture, and therefore should be easier to work with.

And--it looks like "silence in heaven."

I recommend reading Revelation 8-10 (above) with the presence of mind to imagine it all by the timeless nature of God, as all occurring at all times throughout history--that is, since the beginning of the world until the end. The actual end of which is then, the sounding of the seventh angel.
Interesting, in your last thread, your argument was that the events of Revelation happened. You frequently used the phrase " will shortly take place", in the first verse.
Now you are reducing these events to mere fabrications, illusions, symbolic of history. You abandon reality and escape into this imaginary one. One can draw from your conclusion that life is just an illusion, nothing can be taken literally, even scriptures.
Most of your posts seem to start and finish this way. ScottA, do you believe that reality is similar to the Matrix? It's not reallt what we think is, it's kust an illusion? You say lots of words with little meaning, nothing concrete.
You will receive a correction that apparently can only be realized through your personal experience - very soon. Then you'll snap out of this Matrix you are stuck in.
When billions of people die within a few years time, then you'll realize, " Gee, that must be what was written about in the first Four Seals, the works of the Four Riders on horseback".
When you really see the Middle East war, with ten nations attacking Israel and with 1/3 of the planet literally on fire - then you will recognize the scriptures describing it.
When you feel the worldwide quake that levels all the buildings - then you'll find the verse that describes that - if you are still alive.
When you see demonic locusts flying around, stinging and torturing unbelievers, then you will see the verses as literal events, etc, etc., etc.
The events in Revelation 6-19 fall within a Great Tribulation time frame of 3 1/2 years, they will literally happen soon!
You are not teacher, not gifted in that respect, you should find other things to write about, just not scripture! People receive hope in anticipation of the Lord's soon return from reading Revelation, you seem to be trying to destroy it.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting, in your last thread, your argument was that the events of Revelation happened. You frequently used the phrase " will shortly take place", in the first verse.
Now you are reducing these events to mere fabrications, illusions, symbolic of history. You abandon reality and escape into this imaginary one. One can draw from your conclusion that life is just an illusion, nothing can be taken literally, even scriptures.
Most of your posts seem to start and finish this way. ScottA, do you believe that reality is similar to the Matrix? It's not reallt what we think is, it's kust an illusion? You say lots of words with little meaning, nothing concrete.
You will receive a correction that apparently can only be realized through your personal experience - very soon. Then you'll snap out of this Matrix you are stuck in.
When billions of people die within a few years time, then you'll realize, " Gee, that must be what was written about in the first Four Seals, the works of the Four Riders on horseback".
When you really see the Middle East war, with ten nations attacking Israel and with 1/3 of the planet literally on fire - then you will recognize the scriptures describing it.
When you feel the worldwide quake that levels all the buildings - then you'll find the verse that describes that - if you are still alive.
When you see demonic locusts flying around, stinging and torturing unbelievers, then you will see the verses as literal events, etc, etc., etc.
The events in Revelation 6-19 fall within a Great Tribulation time frame of 3 1/2 years, they will literally happen soon!
You are not teacher, not gifted in that respect, you should find other things to write about, just not scripture! People receive hope in anticipation of the Lord's soon return from reading Revelation, you seem to be trying to destroy it.

:rolleyes:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In order to miss the reality that much of what has come from God down through the ages as history has proven was first thought to be crazy and not believed, one would have to be asleep; and in order to have missed that the natural comes first and then the spiritual, one would have to be unlearned or in denial.

Nonetheless, it is written, "Behold, the former things have come to pass, And new things I declare; Before they spring forth I tell you of them.”