Slain in the Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Definition:

Sociologist Margaret Poloma has defined slaying in the Spirit as "the power of the Holy Spirit so filling a person with a heightened inner awareness that the body's energy fades away and the person collapses to the floor".
Jesus took with him Peter, James, and John to the mountain of transfiguration in Matthew 17:

5b behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” 6 When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified.
People who believe in the slain in the spirit use this incident and others to support their claim. The term slain in the spirit is not in the Bible. I would not argue about it theologically.

As for the phenomenon itself, in some instances, it could be real. In others, it is not. In any case, it is not a required experience for those who love Jesus. I've never experienced it, even though on multiple occasions, I exposed myself in this kind of atmosphere watching others "slain" in the Spirit. In fact, on one occasion, I was invited by the pastor onto the stage while he attempted to perform the operation on me. A couple of strong men stood behind me in case I fell backward. It did not work for me.

If you think you have been slain in the Spirit, you need to ask yourself: what fruit have you produced since then?

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Definition:

Jesus took with him Peter, James, and John to the mountain of transfiguration in Matthew 17:

People who believe in the slain in the spirit use this incident and others to support their claim. The term slain in the spirit is not in the Bible. I would not argue about it theologically.

As for the phenomenon itself, in some instances, it could be real. In others, it is not. In any case, it is not a required experience for those who love Jesus. I've never experienced it, even though on multiple occasions, I exposed myself in this kind of atmosphere watching others "slain" in the Spirit. In fact, on one occasion, I was invited by the pastor onto the stage while he attempted to perform the operation on me. A couple of strong men stood behind me in case I fell backward. It did not work for me.

If you think you have been slain in the Spirit, you need to ask yourself: what fruit have you produced since then?
Very important that we are not deceived, because based on pagan religion there are ceremony being slain in the spirit as well. Am a pagan once, and a witness to this event, where men and women go in a trance all of a sudden. This is after the enchanting by their priest and the heavy beat of drums.

These in trance dance to the heavy drums and speak in a different voice, and also give weird and scary looks at sober others there. When the proceeding ends, the priest enchant and touch their forehead with a sort of substance, and then the spirit leaves them. These then fall to the ground unconscious for awhile, and they get up back being normal, and unaware what really happened.

Isn't it quite similar to the church which minister being slain in the spirit ? And other times, many of them go off together in tongues or laughter crazily.

To verify, let's consult the authority of the scripture, and as i can remember there are three incidents where saints received the Holy Spirit:

One - During the day of Pentecost.

Two - When James was beheaded, the church gathered to pray for boldness and the Spirit descended.

Three - In the house Cornelius, where the Holy Spirit descended on every one there.

Let's ponder, whether in any of these occasion the scripture read, that they were slain and dropped to the ground ?

Nope !

Now, the other occasion hearing the voice of GOD and people drop to the ground like dead, is not related. Even when Jesus answered the guards who came to arrest Him, they too fell backwards each time.