Smoking is okay in the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
Genesis 24:64 [KJV]And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel.
...Now, if Rebekah lighted off the camel, does that mean that we can do it too? Also, what is it about seeing Isaac that caused her to smoke? Am I taking this out of context?Thoughts?
smile.gif
:angel10:Edit*** This is supposed to be a joke, btw.
smile.gif

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(treeoflife;48233)
Genesis 24:64 [KJV]And Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac, she lighted off the camel.
...Now, if Rebekah lighted off the camel, does that mean that we can do it too? Also, what is it about seeing Isaac that caused her to smoke? Am I taking this out of context?Thoughts?
smile.gif
:angel10:
That's a goodin' I know you are being facetious, but in fact, I don't find anything saying "thou shalt not smoke". I suppose it boils down to whether one believes this is harmful or not. The medical establishment says so, but then again I question some of their judgments (e.g. high cholesterol causes heart attacks or salt is bad for you), so I am not really sure. Some people, like George Burns smoked cigars and lived to a ripe old age. Sometimes I think if we are too concerned about our health that it is a form of self-righteousness and in itself is destructive. I see just as many health-food nuts dropping dead (if not more) that people who do not worry so much about their health (don't confuse my statement with hostility against good eating. For example, I take lots of vitamins).I think moderation is the key. I don't know what it's like to smoke a cigarette, so I cannot speak from experience there. But I have smoked some cigars and enjoyed them. But that's far and few between. My perceived weakness is that I could go a little heavy on the alcohol. Although alcohol is "clean food" in the bible and not sinful, one can have too much of that as well as evidenced by warnings against drunkenness. (Maybe that's why I sometimes sound a little goofy in some of my posts
biggrin.gif
)

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
Yeah but Paul frequently refers to our bodies as temples of the holy spirit. therefore we should treat our bodies with the greatest care. Which means not getting lung cancer

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(tim_from_pa;48241)
That's a goodin' I know you are being facetious, but in fact, I don't find anything saying "thou shalt not smoke". I suppose it boils down to whether one believes this is harmful or not. The medical establishment says so, but then again I question some of their judgments (e.g. high cholesterol causes heart attacks or salt is bad for you), so I am not really sure. Some people, like George Burns smoked cigars and lived to a ripe old age. Sometimes I think if we are too concerned about our health that it is a form of self-righteousness and in itself is destructive. I see just as many health-food nuts dropping dead (if not more) that people who do not worry so much about their health (don't confuse my statement with hostility against good eating. For example, I take lots of vitamins).I think moderation is the key. I don't know what it's like to smoke a cigarette, so I cannot speak from experience there. But I have smoked some cigars and enjoyed them. But that's far and few between. My perceived weakness is that I could go a little heavy on the alcohol. Although alcohol is "clean food" in the bible and not sinful, one can have too much of that as well as evidenced by warnings against drunkenness. (Maybe that's why I sometimes sound a little goofy in some of my posts
biggrin.gif
)
Yes, I do not have a taste for alcohol at all... so I've just decided it's best that way. I believe as Paul put it, we should not be "given" to "strong drink." It's a matter of priorities, and like you said... moderation. We should not get drunk on alcohol, but instead, fill ourselves with the Spirit, singing spiritual songs... and the like.Not a smoker either, and though I don't see it as overtly SINFUL... with the knowledge we have today, we do know it it harmful to our bodies, and there really isn't a plus side. Therefore, I don't think it is something we should do... because we KNOW it hurts us. Neither would I condemn someone who is addicted to it... but they would probably say they'd love to quit.

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
I know the original poster was only joking but I am a smoker - trying to give up. I am addicted to it. The addiction shows it has got out of control and that is why I am giving up. As has already been said all things should be taken in moderation. God is a God of balance. If one thing gets out of balance then it is not of God. Our bodies are the temple of God and we shouldn't pollute it but as the bible is silent on smoking itself then we have to make up our minds on it ourselves with guidance from God.

Learning

Dec 12, 2007
Have said a prayer for you Nyoka. Am a smoker also and have tried a couple of times to quit. May God and Jesus strength be your strength.
smile.gif

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
(Learning;48265)
Have said a prayer for you Nyoka. Am a smoker also and have tried a couple of times to quit. May God and Jesus strength be your strength.
smile.gif

Thank you Learning. :blessyou: I will pray for you too. :pray4:

yaqub

Sep 7, 2007
(Learning;48265)
smile.gif

When I wanted to quit smoking more than 20 years ago, I asked God to make me dislike the smell of smoke. He did. Every time I am near to smoke, I felt a revulsion! I never smoked again.So much so that, I had to ask God to help me at least bear with it (i.e., second hand smoke) when I went on a mission trip recently and I know the people there smoke a lot. Boy, it was hard to go into a restaurant or a coffee bar and find myself in a cloud of smoke.

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
(yaqub;48492)
When I wanted to quit smoking more than 20 years ago, I asked God to make me dislike the smell of smoke. He did. Every time I am near to smoke, I felt a revulsion! I never smoked again.So much so that, I had to ask God to help me at least bear with it (i.e., second hand smoke) when I went on a mission trip recently and I know the people there smoke a lot. Boy, it was hard to go into a restaurant or a coffee bar and find myself in a cloud of smoke.
Doesn't God answer us well.
smile.gif
I have been praying to God to make me addicted to Him instead of smokes.:pray3: I need to deal with the addiction before I can give smoking up.

RaddSpencer

Mar 28, 2008
(Nyoka;48493)
Doesn't God answer us well.
smile.gif
I have been praying to God to make me addicted to Him instead of smokes.:pray3: I need to deal with the addiction before I can give smoking up.
Seriously. My dad quit smoking cold turkey (I have no idea how he did it). When I was a kid a "roast you over the flames" evangelist came to our church, and my dad went up after the service and rededicated his life to Christ.After that, he quit both smoking and drinking the next day. I never smelled smoke on him after that time. Amazing huh.

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
(RaddSpencer;48542)
Seriously. My dad quit smoking cold turkey (I have no idea how he did it). When I was a kid a "roast you over the flames" evangelist came to our church, and my dad went up after the service and rededicated his life to Christ.After that, he quit both smoking and drinking the next day. I never smelled smoke on him after that time. Amazing huh.
That is amazing.
smile.gif
To give up both at once makes it more amazing. :eek:

RaddSpencer

Mar 28, 2008
(Nyoka;48553)
That is amazing.
smile.gif
To give up both at once makes it more amazing. :eek:
My dad was a wild young man back in his day. He flipped my granddad's new car and skid through a redlight going upside down.He wasn't wearing his seatbelt either
biggrin.gif
. His guardian angel had to work overtime.So smoking wasn't his biggest problem XD.

thisistheendtimes

Mar 3, 2008
Smoking is more of a nervous habit (of sorts) like drumming your fingers on a table or chewing gum. Of course we should care about what is written in scripture, but do you care about WHAT GOD SAYS to YOU in YOUR LIFE? (Don't love the bible, LOVE GOD). The bible did not die on the cross or create anything (neither did the brethren). Be subject to GOD (not the bible, not the brethren) and care about GOD'S WILL for YOU.The TRUE brethren are our KIN, but do not show them any partiality (special treatment) to them (James 2:1 and 2:9) nor conform to their rules for spirituality.Breathing dirty air is not contrary to God's will. Get off your case and it will be easier to quit (it is wise to quit for health reasons, but senseless/blasphemous to quit for worship reasons).

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(thisistheendtimes;49789)
Smoking is more of a nervous habit (of sorts) like drumming your fingers on a table or chewing gum. Of course we should care about what is written in scripture, but do you care about WHAT GOD SAYS to YOU in YOUR LIFE? (Don't love the bible, LOVE GOD). The bible did not die on the cross or create anything (neither did the brethren). Be subject to GOD (not the bible, not the brethren) and care about GOD'S WILL for YOU.The TRUE brethren are our KIN, but do not show them any partiality (special treatment) to them (James 2:1 and 2:9) nor conform to their rules for spirituality.Breathing dirty air is not contrary to God's will. Get off your case and it will be easier to quit (it is wise to quit for health reasons, but senseless/blasphemous to quit for worship reasons).
thisistheendtimes,You said "you" and "your" a few times. Were you talking to any one person in particular?

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
(treeoflife;48233)
smile.gif
:angel10:Edit*** This is supposed to be a joke, btw.
smile.gif

treeoflife, There is no place in the Bible that says not to smoke. There are many scriptures that state that principle,nthough. 2Cor 7:1 says that we should cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit. The idea that smoking is not harmful is an untenable argument. Rom 12:1 states a similar precept. 1Cor 3:16,17 speaks about being God's temple. That alone should keep a Christian from wanting to smoke. What about the Christian principle of not stumbling others?? 1Cor 8:11. 1Cor 10:24 says to keep seeking for the other person's advantage, not your own. Phil 2:4, says that Christians should be be keeping our eye on the personal interest of others and not our own. Just think of the great harm that side stream smoke does to others. A mother who smokes is condemning her children to health problems for all their life. Think about the proof of not caring for the life that God has given too all, that smoking shows. What about the smell, the contamination of clothes, cars, and even homes?? Every facet of smoking is anathema to a Christian. The fact is; no Christian smokes. Smoking can very well remove a person from the Book of Life!!!Titus 1:16.