So what happens to the old self that was in Adam?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m struggling because is it really the cells and skin covering this body (the meat and bones) that is wrecked …or the mind which steers the body
I'm thinking the mind that results from this fleshy brain, the mind we've had since birth. That we have a new mind, being a new creation, the mind of Christ, Who is the pattern for how we've been reborn. Created in righteousness and true holiness, still living in the body with the mind of the child of Adam.

As we are subjugating the mind of the flesh, and learning to think in the mind of Christ, that is the renewing of the mind.

Much love!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm thinking the mind that results from this fleshy brain, the mind we've had since birth. That we have a new mind, being a new creation, the mind of Christ, Who is the pattern for how we've been reborn. Created in righteousness and true holiness, still living in the body with the mind of the child of Adam.

As we are subjugating the mind of the flesh, and learning to think in the mind of Christ, that is the renewing of the mind.

Much love!
I get it. My brain has lesions that will never go away now that they are there. No matter how much I beg or plead or “have faith” those scars are going to remain there hopefully less active but scars nonetheless ….no renewing that brain. But I do see Hope in renewing the mind and learning to think in the mind of Christ… which “learning” reminds me of “being taught” in 1 Thessalonians 4:9 But as touching brotherly love you need not that I write unto you: for you yourselves are taught of God to love one another.
Point is I’ve always thought the Holy Spirit teaches was in regards to learning the Bible but hoping now it is more along with what you said “the mind of Christ”
1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teaches, (striving unto hatred?) but which the Holy Spirit teaches (to love one another?) comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Reactions: marks

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like your analogy of a wrecked car but at the same time I’m struggling to see it. I’m struggling because is it really the cells and skin covering this body (the meat and bones) that is wrecked …or the mind which steers the body
“Aren’t you still living in your flesh?” Makes me think of “we move and have our being in Him.” To clarify further consider “a flesh body” in regards to the church. Is “a flesh body” skin or a mind set of debates, strife, hatred, divisions and slander…that body of flesh with your question “aren’t you still living in your flesh”? Point is wrecked skin I do see in the mirror as it begins to age and wrinkle …I get there is more underneath like diseases, muscles and disk that deteriorate. But again is that the wreckage or the thoughts that dominated over (meat and bone)until worn out and just can’t go anymore..Out of gas? Yet He said the Lame leap …which oddly makes me think of John the Baptist leapt in the womb …
Luke 1:41-44 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit: [42] And she spoke out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. [43] And how is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? [44] For, lo, as soon as the voice of your salutation was heard in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.

You are not dirty. God gave you a new life in that old fleshly body when He sanctified you in Christ. He made it possible that you might be made the righteousness of God. You are not a sinner with a dirty heart. God made you a new creature. He gave you a new nature.

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus

Andrew Farley has some great videos on this called the perfect you. You can Google it.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are not dirty. God gave you a new life in that old fleshly body when He sanctified you in Christ. He made it possible that you might be made the righteousness of God. You are not a sinner with a dirty heart. God made you a new creature. He gave you a new nature.

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus

Andrew Farley has some great videos on this called the perfect you. You can Google it.

Here I Googled it for you... Enjoy

Thank you! I truly liked the video you shared. I can relate to often feeling that way as if nothing I do is enough to please or satisfy God. There was a lot of helpful things to consider in what Andrew said. How all the messages are “yea but… do what is required”. I also liked what he said about some future self and how that causes us to never be in the present (the present which my husband describes as a gift). But, not to get into a debate over salvation…I did notice Andrew say often “if” you are saved. Which to me is an “yea but…if…you have truly done what is required” right from the start. To me the message then gets tangled in I can see what Andrew says but at the same time being caught in that ever-repeating-starting-place of “if you have done what is required” and “if you have salvation” ….always always afraid “have you?” Done enough “Are you saved?” That was the only contradiction I heard in what Andrew said …the breaks of backtracking to the starting place that urges “have you” “if” you are saved which is always the message that requires doing more to answer the “if”… asked often “are you saved?” That “if” you are saved taking back to what Andrew mentioned as most messages of the “need” to analyze check, prove, test…

Paraphrasing what I heard in the video. You have been changed by God and it is enough. Regardless of what is seen —or how inadequate you feel or told you are, or how often you fail—if you were cut open the heart; God is already satisfied with you, He smiles over you, you are His creation. It is nothing you did or continue to do to strive to one day satisfy Him but it is by Gods work in reconciliation unto Himself; where God is satisfied without any hoops to jump through continuously as the message today implies; “if” you are saved and God has changed you and is satisfied with you.

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you! I truly liked the video you shared. I can relate to often feeling that way as if nothing I do is enough to please or satisfy God. There was a lot of helpful things to consider in what Andrew said. How all the messages are “yea but… do what is required”. I also liked what he said about some future self and how that causes us to never be in the present (the present which my husband describes as a gift). But, not to get into a debate over salvation…I did notice Andrew say often “if” you are saved. Which to me is an “yea but…if…you have truly done what is required” right from the start. To me the message then gets tangled in I can see what Andrew says but at the same time being caught in that ever-repeating-starting-place of “if you have done what is required” and “if you have salvation” ….always always afraid “have you?” Done enough “Are you saved?” That was the only contradiction I heard in what Andrew said …the breaks of backtracking to the starting place that urges “have you” “if” you are saved which is always the message that requires doing more to answer the “if”… asked often “are you saved?” That “if” you are saved taking back to what Andrew mentioned as most messages of the “need” to analyze check, prove, test…

Paraphrasing what I heard in the video. You have been changed by God and it is enough. Regardless of what is seen —or how inadequate you feel or told you are, or how often you fail—if you were cut open the heart; God is already satisfied with you, He smiles over you, you are His creation. It is nothing you did or continue to do to strive to one day satisfy Him but it is by Gods work in reconciliation unto Himself; where God is satisfied without any hoops to jump through continuously as the message today implies; “if” you are saved and God has changed you and is satisfied with you.

He talks about if you are saved because tens of thousands listen to his videos and he does not know who is already saved or who is just getting started as new people. Listen to part 2 if you liked part 1.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was taught God or Christ was showing me something when I walk by the spirit. Maybe it's the spirit showing me something when I walk by the spirit. In Romans 8:4, it's suggesting we walk after or by this spirit. In Romans 8:9, it calls this spirit the spirit of Christ. In Romans 8:11, it calls this spirit the spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead and that it dwells in us. In 1 Corinthians 3:16, it calls it the spirit of God that dwells in us. In Galatians 4:6, it's called the spirit of his son. And in Galatians 5:16, it talks about walking in this spirit. Very few Christians know who they are in the spirit because most of us have been taught by our religious leaders that we are sinners by nature. And in my view that is just the opposite of what the Scriptures teach.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

It's not the body, but the spirit that has become a new creature. In other words, it's in the spirit that we have become a brand-new species because our spirit is totally new and therefore there is not an old sin nature left in us. We undergo a miraculous exchange at the center of our being once we have the spirit of Christ. Who we were in Adam is no longer there. We become a new person because we are now a child of God who is in Christ. The key event causing this exchange is a death, burial, and resurrection with Christ. This miraculous exchange is not figurative or symbolic, but literal and actual.

The spiritual part of every Christian has literally and actually been crucified, buried, and raised with Christ. The fact that this occurs spiritually and not physically doesn’t make it any less real. So what happens to the old self that was in Adam? The old self is entirely obliterated once the spirit of Christ enters the Christian. I know this comes as a complete shock to many of you who have been indoctrinated in the-old-nature-versus-the-new-nature theology. Most Christians have been taught to believe that after salvation, they are still the same at their core, and they live the rest of their lives trying to restrain this old nature. They believe they have two natures.

Romans 6:2
How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

The Christians of today believe they are alive to sin and it's with much effort, frustration, and failure that they battle this sin nature the rest of their lives. This idea that the spirit of Christ makes our flesh spiritual is believed by most because the churches teach that Christians still have a sin nature. They do not. It's destroyed after the spirit of Christ has come upon the Christian. It seems like the whole Christian world teaches that the spirit follows the flesh, and by that, I mean the spirit functions through the flesh.

The reason I cannot lust in the flesh when following after the spirit is because it's impossible to do so since the spirit of Christ does not lust after the flesh. Religious people don't follow after the spirit, but rather they follow after their flesh and call it spiritual. The religious folks lead with their flesh and call it Christian. The church folks clean up their flesh by making themselves nice. Then they say this is Christian because we are being nice like the way Jesus was. In contrast to that, I believe we should walk after the spirit of Christ.

It is written that we should ask in his name, which I have finally come to believe means to ask in his authority, which seems to me would mean to ask by representing him. When I receive what I'm focused on in prayer, then I will be living within the authority of Jesus Christ, and thereby functioning as his representative. When I am close to the spirit of Christ, then I will function as a partner with the Lord whereby it becomes a joint effort.

I believe the spirit of Christ is my new nature and therefore I have been able to function in it. To live in it, walk by it, and be in it. Most of my life I believed I was in a battle between what I thought was my old man fighting against what I thought was my new man. Now I'm not fighting. I moved right in the darn thing. It seems to me one cannot walk in or by the spirit if our old nature (which is dead) thinks it's fighting against our new nature.

I was taught being in Christ meant I was in fellowship with God because I was walking upright in my flesh. I now understand being in Christ is being in the spirit and neither of them (in Christ or in the spirit) has anything to do with the flesh. It now seems perfectly clear to walk in or by the spirit is the same as putting on the Lord Jesus Christ. It's the same as having fellowship with Jesus Christ, which is also part of having the mind of Christ. Living in Christ is the same as being strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. There's a verse where Jesus says without me you can do nothing. Well, I'm never without him.