So, who drives?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
My wife drives all the time, even to church and long distances. Years ago I pulled the map angrily out of her hands when she could not find the exit fast enough and I missed it. She put her foot down and said from now on she drives.Actually, she's a better driver given that she's more sure of herself and can make snap decisions better. I do better reading the maps (now its the GPS for the last several years). She drives, I navigate in other words. I have a feeling that many couples would do better using a system like we have. It's been working well for us for many years now.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I forgot to ask directly, but who drives in your household? I heard statics to the effect that men still do 70% of the driving.We often hear news about how women want to gain more authority and independence this day and age. And ironically, when it comes to driving, most move aside and let the man take control.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
I drive as little as possible. I go through maybe one tank of gas per month, and possibly part of a second tank. I absolutely HATE driving. I was 24 before I started driving and didn't want to do it then, but I had a highway between my home and work and had no other way of getting there.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(tim_from_pa;28477)
My wife drives all the time, even to church and long distances. Years ago I pulled the map angrily out of her hands when she could not find the exit fast enough and I missed it. She put her foot down and said from now on she drives.Actually, she's a better driver given that she's more sure of herself and can make snap decisions better. I do better reading the maps (now its the GPS for the last several years). She drives, I navigate in other words. I have a feeling that many couples would do better using a system like we have. It's been working well for us for many years now.
This thread made me smile its so classicMy husband does all the driving but his map reader (me) quit rather abrubtly:) When I received a simular sniping from my husband. I said something to the effect of well sense I cant do it right I think you better take over yourself. I do however when he gets lost, utter those most dreaded words to the Male Gender "you better ask for directions"
smile.gif
So now he has GPS and I dont get it when that female voice says 1 mile ahead turn left he says I just love this thing When I said you need to turn left up here I got OK !! I heard you Im trying to get over.
smile.gif

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I drive just about everywhere.She's usually my navigator, but several "OH, turn there!'s" later, I pretty much try and either ask what the road/exit is ahead of time or figure it out myself. It's hard to turn when you're car forms a 90 degree angle with the road you were supposed to take.Directions!? Who asks for directions??
wink.gif

Bigun65

Jan 2, 2008
I do the driving and the navigating, that way the only one I can blame when we get lost is me. I avoid a lot of fights that way.

bac2nowere

Jun 15, 2006
I do most of the driving and the navigating too. That if I get lost no one else will not know( at least that is what I thought). My wife gave me a GPS

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
To all:I think the new talking GPS makes things much safer. You don't know how many guys I've seen beforehand driving and trying to read a map at the same time. Oftentimes the women have nothing better to do than take up the time watching the kids or applying makeup (because I guess the guy would not let her do anything else).But two jobs at once is unsafe and maybe even a little macho stupid, which is why I left my wife drive and I navigate, this way each one has one job. Although I am not poking fun here, men have a better tendency with spacial things (e.g. maps) which is why one does not see the man driving and the woman navigating. It works better the other way around IMO. However, in all fairness, my wife does have very good abstract reasoning and math ability so she is not too bad at that stuff. I was just very cranky the day I pulled the map away from her. But she is better driving and takes the lead better than I do, so that's why we kept it that way even when I am not navigating---- she's the driver boss now! (Not bad for a 5'3" petite woman)
biggrin.gif

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
i'm trying to have God drive and have me all the way in the back trunk.wait were talking about cars not life.
smile.gif

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
I drive if my husband is not with me. Otherwise the car doesn't go enywhere, weird. If we go together some place then my husband drives. If we need the map, I read it and tell him where to go. I like looking the directions and even my hubby says I'm not 'typical' woman, who can't read the maps. I don't totally believe it that the most women can't read the maps. It's quite individual, well I don't know if they have done studies on that. I do get nervous if I would need to go to the middle of the city though. All the other suburbs are ok. My friend told me, she just drives to the city to get lost. I find more important things to do, but it would be good practise. Who cares if you get lost, just drive in circles until the petrol tank is empty. I would like to have a navigator system,if driving in city central, there is no place to park and stop to look at the directions from the map.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
(Letsgofishing;29316)
i'm trying to have God drive and have me all the way in the back trunk.wait were talking about cars not life.
smile.gif

That's funny !

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Thunder1;32135)
I drive if my husband is not with me. Otherwise the car doesn't go enywhere, weird. If we go together some place then my husband drives. If we need the map, I read it and tell him where to go. I like looking the directions and even my hubby says I'm not 'typical' woman, who can't read the maps. I don't totally believe it that the most women can't read the maps. It's quite individual, well I don't know if they have done studies on that. I do get nervous if I would need to go to the middle of the city though. All the other suburbs are ok. My friend told me, she just drives to the city to get lost. I find more important things to do, but it would be good practise. Who cares if you get lost, just drive in circles until the petrol tank is empty. I would like to have a navigator system,if driving in city central, there is no place to park and stop to look at the directions from the map.
I have found that its not womens map reading skills that lacks its the husbands/males inability to follow directions
rolleyes.gif
LOL

DONNIE

Jan 29, 2008
I do all the driving and navigating. My wife just sits there and looks pretty. It's just so easy for her.