Software Debacle: Community Input Wanted

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay folks, I'm currently in a bit of a quandary and I wanted to seek out some other opinions on this matter.As those of you who have been with us know, we've switched forum software twice rather recently. We initially used the same software as we used now, but switched away to different software for a time because of some issues with the current provider (which were eventually resolved).I'm not sure if you can remember the software, but I did seem to receive comments that it was easier to use from the user/member side. However, from my side it lacked features and the community behind it was not as large.Well, unfortunately, set company has once again made a bad choice which potentially has greater repercussions this time around. They were bought out by a new group intent on change. As such, they've rolled out a new licensing scheme which will cost more, initially. With this, I don't necessarily have an issue. The problem comes that they've released a beta of the new software, and it's pretty much nothing but a new design on the existing software. Yet, they want you to pay for it. They're offering a sale right now where it will cost about half as much to upgrade. However, the catch-22 is the product doesn't really exist yet.Other noteworthy details is they offered paid software to extend this software before, and now that project has been closed and those folks basically lost their money paying for a phony product. They've begun to stifle the negative feedback on the product, and it's actually begun to really create blow-back for them.So the question is, knowing this brief synopsis, how do you feel about it. The matter is pressing because the sale ends soon and this license will expire pretty soon. Unfortunately changing software will result in many of the negative quirks we saw before with annoying password resets and difficult to read threads. Is this trouble worth the change, or should we just maybe stick things out and pay the money?I do appreciate your input; I'm certainly praying for God to guide me on this one. I would appreciate your prayers as well!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
So if I got this straight .. To keep this software you must buy an upgrade that does not yet exsist ..(with an outside chance it could never exist) or we must switch back to software we previously had, that is a little less user friendly is that about it in a nutshell ?

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
Christina;74004]So if I got this straight .. To keep this software you must buy an upgrade that does not yet exsist ..(with an outside chance it could never exist) or we must switch back to software we previously had said:
I think you summed it up pretty well. Do you think someone in the current administration is working on this? It sounds awfully familar to what I hear on the news every night. Kind of like Pelosi saying the public won't end up paying for health care. :eek:

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pretty much; they've sorta forced many into a buy this product now to get the price otherwise pay out the wazoo later. The problem is, the only experience with the "new" software is their beta version on the forum. There's not much really new to it from what I can see. However, the positives are that it would allow CB to branch out a bit and would be reasonable cost-wise in the longrun. However, my concern is with the company, as they're taking quite a bit of flak for how they handled this, and I am admittedly worried about the software quality with a new team in place.A little less user friendly might be an understatement. While either software would allow for us to restore user blogs, switching software will result in some glitches and loss of certain functionality. The largest issue not really being for you users so much as it is for me as the Administrator.We have some pretty good checks that keep spam at a minimum right now; those disappear with the new software.And yes whirl, it seems like a lot of people and businesses are not functioning very well these days. It's almost like people lost the capacity to think things through, something you certainly could critique these politicians with.

gumby

May 29, 2009
I dont know im happy with the software we have now, but i do have one question as individual users on the site does this mean that we would have to pay to use the software? :confused: Thanks and god bless :)

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No you won't have to pay for anything.As you'll notice, we don't even have advertisements right now here at CB. I'm trying to keep it this way for as long as possible.

Serenity278

Oct 25, 2009
I heard vbulletin4 is reallly glitchy. Maybe wait until they get all the bugs out and then switch? And in the meantime use mybb (after your license expires). http://www.mybboard.net/ which to me is the same as vbulletin it just has less cooler mods then vb. That is what I would do anyways. It is inconvenient but I place all the blame on vbulletin. I have a leased license which I will never use now...wasted $100 when I do really have it to spare.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
I am glad you have given us some insight Denver.Personally I have disliked some of the new and improved forum versions. Often there are more gimicks and gadgets but the important stuff gets ruined.For example (for a while) when we quoted another poster the two posts combined to look like one and the message came out the exact opposite of what we were trying to say. I even find now when I log on and go to new posts , many new posts are not included. Whoever tried to tell you these changes were new and improved , should be kicked out of the computer business.Truth is , it looks like they are kicking themselves out of business.I am involved in several other forums (aviation , law enforcement etc.) that have worked perfectly for many many years. Very user friendly , and low cost. One of the better ones , in my opinion uses .... Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Not sure if any of that helps you Denver , all I know is I like the old unimproved forums better.Martin W.Here is a quick glimpse of one forum , this guy builds curved staircases for a living and is building his own turbine helicopter.This thread has 90,000 views , lots of photos , and no moderators. We could take lessons.http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15817&page=95

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks you two!Yes, the other option is simply to move to open source software, and that is an emerging idea for me. All I want is security and usability for our members, the rest I can deal with on my own one way or another.Let me ask you folks this -- would any of you be interested in a private beta test on forum software? Basically all I would need is for you to make a few posts, check some things out, and let me know what you think.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't take the company up on the sale offer; I missed it because I gave it one more day and thought it was up tonight. The price has now gone up $30.However, they have now released a beta of the forum software. I admittedly did not expect that to happen, so I would consider that a positive for them.I'm just not sure, beta testing information has been sent out to those who volunteered thus far.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Other than a few little inconveniences I reported to you, I found it works fine and In some ways I like it better than this one ..I think its more user friendly, at least thats my opinion

jonick

Aug 6, 2009
what I heard from sustomer service if your license are current you do not have to buy for 4.0 but after that you can't

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just an update here; after literally more than a week of agonizing over the decision, I stuck with the same software. We were able to secure a copy for the original special price, so that keeps us paid up for a good year or two now. I wanted to say thanks to a couple, namely Christina and gervais for their help! The good news is that we'll be able to restore the long-awaited member blogs. The format of the website is going to change up a bit, but I'll hold off on details until we start actually working with the next version. It's still in beta, so we have a little bit of time.