Sola Scriptura - foundational to Protestantism - and to good Bible doctrine

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The SDA collaborated with the Nazis and were granted liberties to preach their gospel, because it was compatible with Geobbles propaganda. 3,000,000 Polish Catholics, 3,000,000 Jews and over 1000 priests and ministers were killed in Poland alone, while the "evil" Vatican saved 860,000 Jewish lives.

10,000 Bible Students were sent to the camps for the crime of standing up for their convictions. There are no records of SDA's in the holocaust archives. They were busy spending 30 pieces of silver.

BobRyan, I'm sure you are a nice guy, and try to be a good Christian. But I have the utmost contempt for the SDA, contrary to my Church that tells me I shouldn't.

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The SDA collaborated with the Nazis

"the SDA"????

At some point - will you express an interest in the Bible over pure spin-doctoring??

Consider the topic of this thread - and the value that the actual Word of God has... for just a moment ... if possible.

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Geobbles propaganda. 3,000,000 Polish Catholics, 3,000,000 Jews and over 1000 priests and ministers were killed in Poland alone,

How sad.

Now as to the topic of this thread and the actual Bible. Is the Word of God of so little value in your view that "any ol' topic will do" as a substitute??

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You magnify bad traditions, and ignore good traditions.

you are "projecting" again... stick with the actual topic of the thread.

The sola-scriptura topic.

Start by reminding yourself that your creative writing is not at the level of a Bible study of an actual Bible topic.

Start by reminding yourself that the post you were supposedly responding to - was this very substantive post.
========================================

The "sola scriptura" teaching of Acts 17:11 is not only foundational to Protestantism - it is also foundational to good Bible doctrine.

"They studied the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken to them by the apostle Paul - were SO" Acts 17:11

1. The Bible was their standard by which all doctrine was to be tested.
2. Those who were "doing the testing" in Acts 17 were not even Christians - yet they could do it accurately.
3. They are approved for doing it.
4. The one being tested was an Apostle and that is the highest level in the Christian church for any human to ever have had.

Gal 1:6-9 "Though we (Apostles) or an angel from heaven should preach to you a different Gospel - let him be accursed"

By contrast Mark 7:6-13 is an example where Christ said some traditions were failing the sola scriptura test... and so those traditions should be rejected.

Sola Scriptura
Formal versus Material Sufficiency

There is a very critical distinction to always keep in mind when discussing the topic of Sola Scriptura. This distinction determines whether the doctrine of Sola Scriptura is true or not.

Indeed. We call it "the Bible" -- and "paying attention to the bible".

In fact --- exegesis.

Have a try at it -- I think you will enjoy it.

==================================

No wonder Christ slams the magesterium of his day "sola scriptura"
Mark 7:6-13
6 And He said to them, “Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:

‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
. After the war, the Adventist German leadership reacted by closing ranks and resisted all outside pressures from the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists to denounce or proscribe their perceived errors.

And of course the global Adventist church has as its leadership - the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
not "Seventh-day Adventist German leadership"

Since you only appear to be on this thread to "Quote Adventist" sources...

Here is one for you -- the very "German Adventists" about which you love to derail this thread topic

from https://www.adventistreview.org/chu...n-germany-apologize-for-stance-in-world-war-i
Adventist Leaders in Germany Apologize for World War I Stance
The apology, read at a rare gathering of the two dissenting sides of the German church, signals a possible step toward reconciliation.
By Denis Kaiser, reporting from Friedensau, Germany

A hundred years after World War I created a split among German Seventh-day Adventists that remains to this day, the church’s two unions in Germany have apologized for the combative stance taken by church leaders during the war and for their treatment of dissidents who left to create the Seventh-day Adventist Reform Movement.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's a matter of credibility. SDA's can't even agree on their own history. I have no way of knowing when you are using the same words as me, but with a drastically different meaning, or when you are not. It's standard SDA methodology. It's dishonest. You made the first rule: stay on topic. I'll make the second rule. Keep the Pope out of the discussion.
First point: If the Bible is the sole rule of faith, logically there would be a rule listing of what books belong in it. Either the list is a matter of faith or it isn't. Let's just stick to the NT for the sake of brevity. Chapter and verse(s) please.
Let's save time. There is no verse. Sola scriptura is not in the Bible...anywhere. It's a principle imposed into text that the text doesn't say in the first place. SS has no history before the 16th century. SS has never worked. Having thousands of "sole rules" is an oxymoron, a mathematical impossibility. I accept material sufficiency of scripture as opposed to your formal sufficiency of scripture. I expect you to have a reasonable grasp of the 2 sufficiencies, I am not going to explain it twice.
Martin Luther invented SS.
He also believed many Catholic distinctives. I believe what has been handed down from the Apostles, you believe whatever you choose.

bible alone.jpg

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let's save time. There is no verse. Sola scriptura is not in the Bible...anywhere.
Actually there are 176 verses just in Psalm 119 which are all devoted to Sola Scriptura. But it you were to believe this Psalm, you would depart from Rome in a hurry.

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. (v 89)

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "sola scriptura" teaching of Acts 17:11 is not only foundational to Protestantism - it is also foundational to good Bible doctrine.

"They studied the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken to them by the apostle Paul - were SO" Acts 17:11

2. Those who were "doing the testing" in Acts 17 were not even Christians - yet they could do it accurately.
4. The one being tested was an Apostle and that is the highest level in the Christian church for any human to ever have had.

Gal 1:6-9 "Though we (Apostles) or an angel from heaven should preach to you a different Gospel - let him be accursed"

By contrast Mark 7:6-13 is an example where Christ said some traditions were failing the sola scriptura test... and so those traditions should be rejected.

It's a matter of credibility...
Let's save time. There is no verse. Sola scriptura is not in the Bible...anywhere.

Hint: if you are searching for credibility - start by actually reading the OP before wildly speculating that those texts do not exist. (aside from a few pointless rants against the Adventist denomination you have had a hard time being focused on the actual Word of God ... rather than complaining about it as if those scriptures were all "written by Ellen White")

lets read the actual OP --

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I accept material sufficiency of scripture as opposed to your formal sufficiency of scripture.

Would have been a bit more impressive had you demonstrated inclination to look at the actual texts under discussion.