Spare The Rod, Spoil The Child?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do You Believe In Corporal Punishment?

• Total voters

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's your take on coroporal punishment? I actually agree with it as long as it isn't over used and is done with a bare hand to the bottom and no wooden spoon or belt is used.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's your take on coroporal punishment? I actually agree with it as long as it isn't over used and is done with a bare hand to the bottom and no wooden spoon or belt is used.
There may certainly be too little or too much given in the best interest of the child. No matter how severe the offense of the child, love needs to be shown along with the necessary punishment.

Reactions: April_Rose

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's all about ceremony over severity.

The ceremonial spanking is a great way to fully communicate with a child that they have committed the ultimate crime in the household.

Otherwise it's just another lecture they tune out.

Reactions: April_Rose

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Attempt to spank me and find out.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sparing a rod though....
Isn't that what scripture says?
Meaning that you should use one.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sparing a rod though....
Isn't that what scripture says?
Meaning that you should use one.

I always took it to mean if you spare the rod you spoil the child though but perhaps I'm mistaken.

UnrulyBeauty

Oct 11, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My answer is no.

I was spanked a lot as a child, and it did nothing but make me terrified of my parents. It made me learn to lie and sneak, and if I did something wrong, I was petrified of them finding out, and I'd be wracked with guilt and much more vulnerable to bad influences, because I never felt I could go to them.

I never spanked my son. He's a young adult now. He is the most polite, well-behaved, respectful, thoughtful young man you could ever meet.

The proof is in the pudding.

Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My answer is no.

I was spanked a lot as a child, and it did nothing but make me terrified of my parents. It made me learn to lie and sneak, and if I did something wrong, I was petrified of them finding out, and I'd be wracked with guilt and much more vulnerable to bad influences, because I never felt I could go to them.

I never spanked my son. He's a young adult now. He is the most polite, well-behaved, respectful, thoughtful young man you could ever meet.

The proof is in the pudding.
I know precisely what you are talking about there Nerd-girl...
What you did is still called discipline...
You used various techniques like redirection, time outs, not setting up the child to lie...that sort of thing.

Did the same with my son... fairly well behaved...I just wish he would date more, get married, and then make me some grandkids.