Spiritual warfare

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

chris_2012

Oct 29, 2012
A born again believer is always exposed to threats and attacks from the devil and his kingdom. Being born in Christ automatically makes us enemies to the devil and his kingdom. But the Bible has provided enough advice for us to do warfare against our enemy and his kingdom. Many are not aware of this or are not being able to use the spiritual weapons which have been offered to us, correctly and they become prey to the devil and his weapons. The Bible, through Ephesians 6:12 has informed us that “we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places”.Verses 13 -18 tell us how to put on the whole armour of God to face the challenges of the enemy. But putting on the whole armour is not enough for us to face and defeat all the enemy’s threats. This is only one of the strategies of spiritual warfare. The Bible has enough examples of spiritual warfare, breaking down Satanic strongholds, wiping out enemies and taking possession of the promises which God has given his people. I would like to describe one of the examples here. Jericho was promised to the Israelites by God, but it was strongly built and fortified to withstand any attack which would be made on it. There were also watchmen on the walls to check for any signs of attack on that city. It also had a huge and powerful army to defend it. These point to the Satanic fortifications and defence systems which are employed by the devil and his kingdom to withstand any attack which is made on them by God’s anointed people. Destroying Jericho and taking possession of it was the first step for the Israelites in conquering Canaan which was promised to them. But humanly there was no way for Jericho to be conquered. Joshua sought God’s advice for conquering Jericho and for taking it into possession. As per God’s advice, there was not to be any battle by using the human military strategies. But God gave Joshua valuable instructions for doing a spiritual warfare which could break down the strongest strongholds, fortified walls and cities and defeat the most powerful armies which were there on the face of the earth. The Israelites and their armies had only to make a circuit of the city, bearing the ark of God and blowing trumpets. For 6 days, they had to make only 1 circuit, but on the 7th day, they had to make 7 circuits. The armies of the living God had to be arranged in ranks to face the enemy. In the first rank were the warriors, a body of chosen men who did not have to conquer by their skills but by obeying the instructions which God gave them. So, obedience of God’s instructions is the prime requirement in spiritual warfare. 7 priests who blew trumpets, followed. This points to praises and worship. Praise is an effective weapon in spiritual warfare. (II Chron 20). The ark of God which was surrounded by divine glory was borne by priests who were dressed to denote their sacred office. So, following the 10 commandments is the next step in spiritual warfare. Then the army of Israel followed, which had put on the whole armour which is required for spiritual warfare. So, putting on the whole armour is the last and the most important step in spiritual warfare. When God’s instructions were followed, the seemingly incompassible city, Jericho fell down like a pack of cards. It was soon devoured, set on fire and taken into possession. All the idols and their groves were completely destroyed. (Joshua 6:1-16)
Fasting is another effective weapon against the enemy if it is taken up according to the instructions from the Bible. (Isaiah 58:6-12).
Prevailing prayer is another strong and mighty weapon which works against the enemy.

Reactions: dragonfly

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Amen Chris well written!

Just to note though - The ark of God is a representation of Christ in us, we being the temple where the living God now dwells[Holy Spirit].

Your Quote
The ark of God which was surrounded by divine glory was borne by priests who were dressed to denote their sacred office. So,following the 10 commandments is the next step in spiritual warfare.
The Holy Spirit teaches us how to live according to the word of God, so in that sense, you are correct...

Blessings!!!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
chris_2012 said:
A born again believer is always exposed to threats and attacks from the devil and his kingdom. Being born in Christ automatically makes us enemies to the devil and his kingdom. But the Bible has provided enough advice for us to do warfare against our enemy and his kingdom. Many are not aware of this or are not being able to use the spiritual weapons which have been offered to us, correctly and they become prey to the devil and his weapons. The Bible, through Ephesians 6:12 has informed us that “we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places”.Verses 13 -18 tell us how to put on the whole armour of God to face the challenges of the enemy. But putting on the whole armour is not enough for us to face and defeat all the enemy’s threats. This is only one of the strategies of spiritual warfare. The Bible has enough examples of spiritual warfare, breaking down Satanic strongholds, wiping out enemies and taking possession of the promises which God has given his people. I would like to describe one of the examples here. Jericho was promised to the Israelites by God, but it was strongly built and fortified to withstand any attack which would be made on it. There were also watchmen on the walls to check for any signs of attack on that city. It also had a huge and powerful army to defend it. These point to the Satanic fortifications and defence systems which are employed by the devil and his kingdom to withstand any attack which is made on them by God’s anointed people. Destroying Jericho and taking possession of it was the first step for the Israelites in conquering Canaan which was promised to them. But humanly there was no way for Jericho to be conquered. Joshua sought God’s advice for conquering Jericho and for taking it into possession. As per God’s advice, there was not to be any battle by using the human military strategies. But God gave Joshua valuable instructions for doing a spiritual warfare which could break down the strongest strongholds, fortified walls and cities and defeat the most powerful armies which were there on the face of the earth. The Israelites and their armies had only to make a circuit of the city, bearing the ark of God and blowing trumpets. For 6 days, they had to make only 1 circuit, but on the 7th day, they had to make 7 circuits. The armies of the living God had to be arranged in ranks to face the enemy. In the first rank were the warriors, a body of chosen men who did not have to conquer by their skills but by obeying the instructions which God gave them. So, obedience of God’s instructions is the prime requirement in spiritual warfare. 7 priests who blew trumpets, followed. This points to praises and worship. Praise is an effective weapon in spiritual warfare. (II Chron 20). The ark of God which was surrounded by divine glory was borne by priests who were dressed to denote their sacred office. So, following the 10 commandments is the next step in spiritual warfare. Then the army of Israel followed, which had put on the whole armour which is required for spiritual warfare. So, putting on the whole armour is the last and the most important step in spiritual warfare. When God’s instructions were followed, the seemingly incompassible city, Jericho fell down like a pack of cards. It was soon devoured, set on fire and taken into possession. All the idols and their groves were completely destroyed. (Joshua 6:1-16)
Fasting is another effective weapon against the enemy if it is taken up according to the instructions from the Bible. (Isaiah 58:6-12).
Prevailing prayer is another strong and mighty weapon which works against the enemy.
Speaking of armour. The reason that Saul's armour did not fit David when he fought Goliath is because David did not need carnal armour as Saul did. David just spoke the victory by using the STONE aka Word of God and God did the fighting for him. That is exactly how we are to fight our spiritual battles with the sWord in our mouths and God brings His promises to pass, for the angels harken to the Word of God to perform it.

1 Sam 17:39 And David girded his sword upon his armour, and he assayed to go; for he had not proved it. And David said unto Saul, I cannot go with these; for I have not proved them. And David put them off him.
40 And he took his staff (Rod/Word) in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag which he had, even in a scrip; and his sling was in his hand: and he drew near to the Philistine.
41 And the Philistine came on and drew near unto David; and the man that bare the shield went before him.
42 And when the Philistine looked about, and saw David, he disdained him: for he was but a youth, and ruddy, and of a fair countenance.
43 And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.
44 And the Philistine said to David, Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field.
45 Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
46 This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.
47 And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give you into our hands.
48 And it came to pass, when the Philistine arose, and came and drew nigh to meet David, that David hasted, and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine.
49 And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth.
50 So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a STONE(The Rock/The Word), and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David.
KJV

Blessings

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
We have no need to fear the enemy because when we have the indwelling and infilling of the Holy Ghost we have power to trample upon serpants and all the power of the enemy, power to bind the kingdom of darkness and its forces!
"Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you" (Luke 10:19)
"And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well." (Mark 16:17-18)
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7)
"Then he said to me, "This is what the LORD says to Zerubbabel: It is not by force nor by strength, but by my Spirit, says the LORD of Heaven's Armies." (Zechariah 4:6)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Welcome to Spiritual Warfare! :)

12059003.jpg

aussie

Feb 3, 2013
afaithfulone4u said:
Speaking of armour. The reason that Saul's armour did not fit David when he fought Goliath is because David did not need carnal armour as Saul did. David just spoke the victory by using the STONE aka Word of God and God did the fighting for him. That is exactly how we are to fight our spiritual battles with the sWord in our mouths and God brings His promises to pass, for the angels harken to the Word of God to perform it.

Just a point of interest.
afaithfulone4u said:
Saul was "head and shoulders" over all in Israel; David was a teen and a short led.
afaithfulone4u said:
More likely the reason the armour didn't fit.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
aussie said:

Just a point of interest.
afaithfulone4u said:
>>Saul was "head and shoulders" over all in Israel; David was a teen and a short led.
afaithfulone4u said:
More likely the reason the armour didn't fit.
Saul's armor was not tested. God's armor was tested. The Lord was David's armor and that "armor" was tested against the bear and the lion and many other things numerous times.

Today and always, our armor is still the Lord Jesus Christ.

We are told that if we put it (this armor) on we will be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. No other remedy is given to us to stand against the clever machinations of the enemy, except that we put on the full armor of God.

Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Let's break down the armor and see what each piece is. We are told that this battle we are in is not against flesh and blood, therefore we should know that it won't be physical armor.

Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Here are the different pieces of armor.
Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Eph 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;Eph 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith,wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

The Armor we Put On:

1. Belt of Truth
  2. Breastplate of Righteousness
  3. Gospel of Peace
  4. Shield of Faith
  5. Helmet of Salvation
  6. Sword of the Spirit

When we break these down we see that our weapons, which the Bible says are "mighty to the pulling down of (spiritual) strongholds", are indeed, not physical weapons. Physical weapons are useless in a spiritual battle. The spiritual realm is not physical and therefore cannot be affected by physical weapons. The spiritual realm does, however, affect us in this spiritual world. And what we do in this physical world does affect us spiritually. Nevertheless, we cannot use physical weapons such as guns or bows and arrows to vanquish a spiritual foe or procure a spiritual victory.

2Co 10:4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds.

So now we see what the individual weapons are but let me show you how to simplify it even more.

Here is a clue for you if you are overwhelmed at how to put on all of these weapons.

It is called the "simplicity of Christ".

2Co 11:3
But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
So, we are going to keep it simple, primarily because the Gospel of Jesus Christ is for all. If it was only for the intellectual then only educated people would be saved, but unfortunately, because the Gospel is so simple, it is usually the intellectuals that stumble over it's simplicity. Let's not stumble over the simplicity of the Good News.

Ok, back to each weapon.

First, the Belt of Truth. When you "put on" the Belt of Truth, you have to understand what is being referred to as Truth. Are we supposed to study all the false religions in the world in order to better separate what is false from what is true? Is this what will help us put on Truth?

This scripture should help. John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. If Jesus is the Truth, then is it possible that somehow we are to put on Jesus?

The Breastplate of Righteousness is next. How do we put this on? Maybe it is by doing righteous works you might say? What does the following scripture mean to you?

1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

This verse from the Old Testament will help you further to understand the Righteousness that you are to "put on".

Jer 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. If Jesus Christ is Righteousness, is it possible that we are to put on Jesus Christ?

The Gospel of Peace is the 3rd weapon we are to put on. How do you put on the "preparation of the Gospel of Peace". God's Word will give us the answer again.

Eph 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

So far we are seeing that Truth, Righteousness and Peace are a Person. They are weapons that culminate in the Person of Jesus Christ.

The 4th weapon is Faith (the Shield of Faith). We know if we have faith we can "move a mountain", but how to you come by this faith? How do you obtain it and then increase it? In Ephesians we see that even faith is a gift from God.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

And once again we even see that Faith is represented in the person of Jesus Christ.

Php 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

When God imparted Jesus Christ to you, and plunged you in Him, He plunged you into Faith.

That brings us to the Helmet of Salvation. I guess you are beginning to see by now that each spiritual weapon that we are told to put on, is referring to the person of Jesus Christ. So that means Salvation must be found in the person of Jesus Christ, also.

Let's see what God's Word says.

We see that God was trying to communicate to the Old Testament people that salvation was a Person.

Exo 15:2 The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.

Job knew WHO was Salvation.
Job 13:16 He also shall be my salvation: for an hypocrite shall not come before him.

David knew Who Salvation was.
Psa 27:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

And Peter knew that Salvation was a Person.
Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

And finally, the Sword of the Spirit. Well you may have guessed it already that Jesus is that Sword.
Rev 2:16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth. Yes, His Word that proceeds from His mouth is His Sword.

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

He is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of our hearts.

So, now we have all of these spiritual weapons and we see that all of these weapons actually point to Jesus Christ. Surprised? You shouldn't be. The more you walk with Jesus the more you will see that everything points to Him and any time you are being directed away from Him, alarms should go off in your head.

What can we conclude from all of these scriptures? We can conclude that to put on the whole armor of God is in reality to"put on" Christ. Is there a scripture for that? If there was, it would tie everything we have spoken about together in Christ.

I would say that Romans 13:14 is very much in keeping with the "simplicity that is in Christ".
But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Yes, put on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be clothed with righteousness and salvation. You are adorned with the the Lord and nothing else will suffice. Nothing or no one else can replace the Preeminent One.

Isa 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

Rom 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

The Scriptures don't talk about being baptized into a specific church organization, or being baptized into a particular tradition, but being baptized into Christ. Have you been baptized into Jesus Christ?

If you have been baptized into Christ then you are a new man and old things have passed away. And so, by faith we are to walk in newness of life and put on this new man daily, which is to walk in faith, in Christ, each day.

Eph 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. (The "new man" is Christ)

Col 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

Christianity is not about anything else, except a Person. The Person of Jesus Christ. Your walk before God revolves around Jesus Christ. Not any man and certainly not yourself. Our communion and fellowship with God the Father is through His Son. The Holy Spirit will always point and direct you to Jesus Christ. If you feel that attention in your life is being focused on man, or doctrines or organizations or anything else, then you need to realize that the Enemy is a foot and trying to deceive you into putting off the things that need to be put on and putting on the things that you should be putting off.

So, how do you remember to put on all of these different types of armor, everyday? It is the simplicity of Christ, again. Put on the Lord Jesus daily, walk in Him, abide in Him and look to Him in all things.

Axehead

Reactions: dragonfly

Axehead

May 9, 2012
afaithfulone4u said:

1 Sam 17:39 And David girded his sword upon his armour, and he assayed to go; for he had not proved it. And David said unto Saul, I cannot go with these; for I have not proved them. And David put them off him.
40 And he took his staff (Rod/Word) in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag which he had, even in a scrip; and his sling was in his hand: and he drew near to the Philistine.
41 And the Philistine came on and drew near unto David; and the man that bare the shield went before him.
42 And when the Philistine looked about, and saw David, he disdained him: for he was but a youth, and ruddy, and of a fair countenance.
43 And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.
44 And the Philistine said to David, Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field.
45 Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
46 This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.
47 And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give you into our hands.
48 And it came to pass, when the Philistine arose, and came and drew nigh to meet David, that David hasted, and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine.
49 And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth.
50 So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a STONE(The Rock/The Word), and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David.
KJV

Blessings
Also, Saul's armor was not tested or tried. In addition, it weighed David down. It was a fleshly burden trying to use it to fight spiritual battles.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It also showed that David did not need any help from the physical world to win a battle that was impossible to win in the natural. He had a different spirit than Israel's army, who looked upon Goliath and shuddered with fear. The battle was won in the spiritual because of David's disposition towards the God of Israel...then it was won in the physical....

Shalom!