Symbology in the OT, Jacob’s Ladder

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm posting this in the bible Study for edification in the hope that it might help someone in their studies..

The apostle Paul wrote, “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope”.

I have always believed that the OT is the NT hidden, and the NT is the OT revealed. with that said, let's examine this Ladder of Jacob's dream.

Jacob’s Ladder, do it have any NT revelation, I believe so.
When I was a child, it was one of the first bible stories that caught my attention. A ladder that stretched from earth to Heaven. But now as an adult, this story has taken on some important revelation, that's in current events in our lives today. this story has enlighten my understanding of God plan of salvation even more.

What if I say that the story hold the foretelling of the coming of the Holy Spirit and his out pouring of Gifts.

Yes, as we study this account of Jacob life, it is telling us as the scriptures states, through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Here’s a few points of our hope

The account is taken from Gen 28:11- 22

Point #1. While Jacob was on his way in search of a bride, he, starting in verse 11 has an encounter, the setting is in the form of a dream. “he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep”.

I have highlighted some key words to examine.

There’s a lot of Symbology in just this one verse. Example.
The word “lighted” is the Hebrew word, H6293 פָּגַע paga` (paw-gah') v. which means,
1. to impinge, by accident or violence.
2. (figuratively) by importunity.
[a primitive root]
KJV: come (betwixt), cause to entreat, fall (upon), make intercession, intercessor, intreat, lay, light (upon), meet (together), pray, reach, run.

Impinge simply means to intervene, God is about to intervene or be an intercessor in the course of Jacob life. God is the intercessor who gives us "COMFORT". In times of trouble God is with us to comfort us through the trouble times. And Jacob is about to go thought some trouble times. Just as the time of Jacob trouble, so likewise the church “Israel”, who name was change from Jacob, is going through some trouble times.

Point #2. Jesus is "COMFORTER", And these time of trouble, (for the Church) is symbolized in the latter days/ the sun going down, or the end times. The sun was setting, darkness was approching, a time of trouble is ahead. God have the 911 on comforting his people in these trouble times, (see Ps 37:25).
The setting of the sun, Symbolize the prosecution of the Church/Jacob, Israel in the latter times. it started when our brother Stephen was martyred, and afterward, in full swing. (as was in the dark days of the Catholic church in it's inquesition). but it was so in the disciples day and times. Listen to John, when he was on the Island of Patmos... in jail. Rev 1:9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. another word for tribulation is "trouble", like in Jacob trouble.

Point #3. A certain place, and tarried there all night. the certain place were he tarried Symbolize for us Jerusalem, how do I know this? Acts 1:4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, (the certain place), but wait (this is his Tarry) for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.

Point #4. The pillow symbolize “COMFORT” the Comforter. In the definition of lighted, the kjv can translate this word as, make intercession, intercessor, come (betwixt), hence the intervention, or the intercession to keep us sealed with his Holy Spirit. even in a rough “stoney” places a times of troubles, or in evil time God will give comfort to his people. hence the out pouring of his Spirit that will be with us and in us until the end. In times of trouble, which is another word for tribulation. This is what the bible call Jacob trouble. But as Jacob made it through by God spirit, so will we.

Point #5. and laying down in that place, the laying down Symbolize “obedience” to God.
and to his sleep, it to have rest in Christ, be ye alive at his coming, or asleep in him at his coming. but to sleep is to be at rest in Christ.

This is just a few Symbolic revelation just in this one verse and I haven’t even gotten to the ladder itself.

I’ll post some more, but if anyone else have any revelation on Jacob’s Ladder please post it. Open for discussion.

this is for discussion and edification of each other.

Be blessed.

Reactions: bbyrd009

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Symbolism Point #6. Jacob Ladder

Gen 28:12 And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.

Jacob Dreamed, God is giving him an understanding by was of a dream that will communicate to him what he’s about to do. God also in the OT told us that he would do the same thing to us, by dreams. Joel 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions. (Here, the phrase old men is not meant in age, but in wisdom.)
Joel 2:29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit. (all Flesh, There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.)

behold a ladder set up on the earth. What do a ladder do? From our point of view, It get you from a lower place to a higher place. Here the identity of both places is the earth and heaven. but angels are ascending and descending on it, so the Ladder is Spiritual in nature, (keep that in mind).

Next, what do the term set here symbolize?.
SET: is the Hebrew word, H5324 נָצַב natsab (naw-tsaɓ') v.
to station, in various applications (literally or figuratively).
KJV: appointed, deputy, erect, establish, X Huzzah (by mistake for a proper name), lay, officer, pillar, present, rear up, set (over, up), settle, sharpen, establish, (make to) stand(-ing, still, up, upright), best state.

it connotes the same idea as the new testament word “set”, appoint or ordain, by God. This ladder is Spiritual in Nature, and is Ordained by God himself, (again see Joel 2:28 & 29 above).

Station means to put in or assign to a specified place for a particular purpose. A work of God, that has been “ORDAINED” of God, and “establish” by God. Saints of God are set aside for "particular purpose", or work of God. (the ladder is the Holy Spirit himself, signifying he is the WAY). For the Lord Jesus said, “I AM the WAY” the “TRUTH” and the “LIGHT”. he also said I will no leave you comforless, for I will come to you, and be in you, (see John 14:16-18). so Why use a LADDER in this Symbolism? As in nature it have set laws to follow, the same is so ordain of God in the Spiritual realms. In the natural, one cannot just run or jump up a latter to it's top in one instance, no, it must be done in order step by step. God's way is STEP, by STEP, other words the ladder is to ordered our steps, as the song say, Order “my” steps Lord.

It is the building of our FAITH whom the Lord Jesus, God, is the Author and finisher of, (not getting ahead of myself which the next verse clearly symbolize when he stands at the top of the ladder).

it take TIME to build one’s faith in God. Through trials and “tribulation”, (Jacob troubles), God who is the author and finisher of our FAITH is right there with us to carry us through. He’s our COMFORTER in trouble times. As in one topic title, “How God lead?”, it's by our obedience to his Word. the proverb rings true, Prov 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. as what happen in the Garden of Eden, the tree of Death. (hence this GRACE period we live in is time to consume the fruit of the Spirit). Instead of man building his “own” way to heaven/God, as they tried at Babel, let God build himself in you. Scripture, John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
The apostle is correct, 1Cor 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. let God build.

the pouring out of the gifts, that enable man to “overcome” in the time of troubles, as the definition states, for a particular purpose. OTHER WORDS IT’S GOD WAY NOT OUR WAY. “Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts”, Zech 4:6.

In our learning of God, step by step, which the Holy Ghost teaches, it gets us closer to God in understanding his ways, we grow in patience. The apostle Peter said it best by God,

2Pet 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pet 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pet 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pet 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Pet 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
2Pet 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
2Pet 1:11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

next time, Gen 28:13 And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed".

this Effects us even today, this dream hold many revelations.

be blessed.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Symbolism Point #6. Jacob Ladder

Gen 28:12 And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.

Jacob Dreamed, God is giving him an understanding by was of a dream that will communicate to him what he’s about to do. God also in the OT told us that he would do the same thing to us, by dreams. Joel 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions. (Here, the phrase old men is not meant in age, but in wisdom.)
Joel 2:29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit. (all Flesh, There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.)

behold a ladder set up on the earth. What do a ladder do? From our point of view, It get you from a lower place to a higher place. Here the identity of both places is the earth and heaven. but angels are ascending and descending on it, so the Ladder is Spiritual in nature, (keep that in mind).

Next, what do the term set here symbolize?.
SET: is the Hebrew word, H5324 נָצַב natsab (naw-tsaɓ') v.
to station, in various applications (literally or figuratively).
KJV: appointed, deputy, erect, establish, X Huzzah (by mistake for a proper name), lay, officer, pillar, present, rear up, set (over, up), settle, sharpen, establish, (make to) stand(-ing, still, up, upright), best state.

it connotes the same idea as the new testament word “set”, appoint or ordain, by God. This ladder is Spiritual in Nature, and is Ordained by God himself, (again see Joel 2:28 & 29 above).

Station means to put in or assign to a specified place for a particular purpose. A work of God, that has been “ORDAINED” of God, and “establish” by God. Saints of God are set aside for "particular purpose", or work of God. (the ladder is the Holy Spirit himself, signifying he is the WAY). For the Lord Jesus said, “I AM the WAY” the “TRUTH” and the “LIGHT”. he also said I will no leave you comforless, for I will come to you, and be in you, (see John 14:16-18). so Why use a LADDER in this Symbolism? As in nature it have set laws to follow, the same is so ordain of God in the Spiritual realms. In the natural, one cannot just run or jump up a latter to it's top in one instance, no, it must be done in order step by step. God's way is STEP, by STEP, other words the ladder is to ordered our steps, as the song say, Order “my” steps Lord.

It is the building of our FAITH whom the Lord Jesus, God, is the Author and finisher of, (not getting ahead of myself which the next verse clearly symbolize when he stands at the top of the ladder).

it take TIME to build one’s faith in God. Through trials and “tribulation”, (Jacob troubles), God who is the author and finisher of our FAITH is right there with us to carry us through. He’s our COMFORTER in trouble times. As in one topic title, “How God lead?”, it's by our obedience to his Word. the proverb rings true, Prov 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. as what happen in the Garden of Eden, the tree of Death. (hence this GRACE period we live in is time to consume the fruit of the Spirit). Instead of man building his “own” way to heaven/God, as they tried at Babel, let God build himself in you. Scripture, John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
The apostle is correct, 1Cor 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. let God build.

the pouring out of the gifts, that enable man to “overcome” in the time of troubles, as the definition states, for a particular purpose. OTHER WORDS IT’S GOD WAY NOT OUR WAY. “Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts”, Zech 4:6.

In our learning of God, step by step, which the Holy Ghost teaches, it gets us closer to God in understanding his ways, we grow in patience. The apostle Peter said it best by God,

2Pet 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pet 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pet 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pet 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Pet 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
2Pet 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
2Pet 1:11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

next time, Gen 28:13 And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed".

this Effects us even today, this dream hold many revelations.

be blessed.

Thank you for the edification. Jacob’s Ladder is one of the first passages I read in the word. This verse always caught my attention as I couldn’t understand Jacob’s response. Genesis 28:17 And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.

There is comfort in, as you pointed out above, the LORD stands at the top of the Ladder but also is ‘God with us’ in John 1:50-51 Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these. [51] And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

Genesis 28:20-22
[20] And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, [21] So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God: [22] And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

The two things we are told to be content with: ‘give me bread to eat’ and ‘raiment to put on.’ Be content if God gives you bread and a change of raiment. Zechariah 3:2-4 And the Lord said unto Satan, The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan; even the Lord that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire? [3] Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel. [4] And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.

There is only One that gives us a change of raiment. Only One bread that is from heaven. ‘this stone’ as Jacob’s pillow that becomes the pillar with oil poured on it...Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

Isaiah 28:16
[16] Therefore thus saith the Lord God , Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone , a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the edification. Jacob’s Ladder is one of the first passages I read in the word. This verse always caught my attention as I couldn’t understand Jacob’s response. Genesis 28:17 And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.

There is comfort in, as you pointed out above, the LORD stands at the top of the Ladder but also is ‘God with us’ in John 1:50-51 Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these. [51] And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

[20] And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, [21] So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God: [22] And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

The two things we are told to be content with: ‘give me bread to eat’ and ‘raiment to put on.’ Be content if God gives you bread and a change of raiment. Zechariah 3:2-4 And the Lord said unto Satan, The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan; even the Lord that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire? [3] Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel. [4] And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment.

There is only One that gives us a change of raiment. Only One bread that is from heaven. ‘this stone’ as Jacob’s pillow that becomes the pillar with oil poured on it...Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

[16] Therefore thus saith the Lord God , Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone , a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.
Thank you for your response.
you asked, "How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven". when sinful man meet the Holy God, yes a fear come over us. just like Isaiah, he was undone. Isa 6:5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts. we all are unclean in Adam, sinners. here is his fear, Lev 19:30 Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD. the place or house of God must be reverence, but even the heavens are NOT clean enough, so Jacob being a sinner was afraid. but this is where God comfort us and his coming to Jacob. "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding", Prov 9:10. Jacob knew he was unworthy, but not God. just like Isaiah, and us, he, God, clean us up. at the gate of heaven, no unclean can enter.

yes, God, JESUS, is with us now and in us NOW, John 14:17 & 18. and he has given us GIFTS.

and yes, be content with, both natural and Spiritual. spiritually, the bread is the word of God, and his garment is Righteousness

pillow that becomes the pillar with oil poured on it
the Stone, the oil poured, Why are you getting ahead of me ....... (smile).

Therefore thus saith the Lord God , Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone , a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

yes the stone that the builders rejected, that become the corner, the foundation,
Matt 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Matt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

now who is the ROCK? let there be no confustion,
1Cor 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

yes, Christ the Rock, and he's the OIL (the Holy Spirit), that was poured out on Pentecost. man, man, man, see VictoryinJesus how you brought that point out about JESUS as the Holy Spirit.

this is why God said, forsake not the assembly of the Saints.

be blessed.

now a slap on the hand, follow the script, and don't jump ahead .. ok ..... (smile), with LOVE in Christ Jesus.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jacob’s ladder is also a symbol of the Cross, being made out of wood and having Christ God affixed upon it. Through the Cross, Christ has opened a pathway for us to heaven. We climb it by crucifying our passions and desires (Galatians 5:24). Put another way, we climb it by acquiring the Christian virtues the steps as it were, the opposite of the passions (vices) we crucify. In place of gluttony and lust, self-control and chastity. In place of anger, meekness. In place of remembrance of wrongs and hatred, forgiveness and compassion. In place of avarice, charity. In place of vainglory and pride, humility. Etc.

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
th
Jacob’s ladder is also a symbol of the Cross, being made out of wood and having Christ God affixed upon it. Through the Cross, Christ has opened a pathway for us to heaven. We climb it by crucifying our passions and desires (Galatians 5:24). Put another way, we climb it by acquiring the Christian virtues the steps as it were, the opposite of the passions (vices) we crucify. In place of gluttony and lust, self-control and chastity. In place of anger, meekness. In place of remembrance of wrongs and hatred, forgiveness and compassion. In place of avarice, charity. In place of vainglory and pride, humility. Etc.
thanks, good points.

I'll add this to my data base.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Symbology Point #7. Jacob Ladder.

These next two verses I would like to but together.
Gen 28:13 And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;
Gen 28:14 And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt
spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.

The LORD stood above the Ladder”. Standing is Signifying that the Lord is working, God/Jesus/the Holy Spirit is not only leading him, but working in him. The Lord Jesus, God, he assures Jacob just as he assures his grandfather Abraham, that his seed, and not seeds as in many, will inherit the promise. This eliminates any notion of a replacement theology, but supports a Reconciliation/Restoration theology of all mankind.

the land whereon thou liest
The Land here is the promise land, not just a piece of physical land, no, but a rest in Christ Jesus. "liest" or lay is symbolism for rest. and as said this rest is in Christ Jesus. and the Lord Jesus is the center of attention. it’s all about location, where the center of God’s government will be centered at here on earth. For the seed (all people will inherit the earth, the whole earth). God makes it clear as to own the land/earth. A Psalm of David. The earth is the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. So this fighting over some piece of physical land in the middle east is senseless, and evil.

"and thou shalt spread abroad"
as was with the people of Babel, God spreaded, or scattered them to all four corners of the earth “confused”. but within Jacob, his, God “seed”, (this is why the Lord was standing, his work of Grace is in the SEED to come), they will not be confounded, nor ashamed, nor confused.
Supportive scripture,
Isa 45:15 Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour.
Isa 45:16 They shall be ashamed, and also confounded, all of them: they shall go to confusion together that are makers of idols.
Isa 45:17 But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end. (the scriptures are clear).

this spreading, or scattering came about from the stoning/Death of our brother Stephen,
Acts 8:1 And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.
Acts 8:2 And devout men carried Stephen to his burial, and made great lamentation over him.
Acts 8:3 As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison.
Acts 8:4 Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word.

to thee will I give it, and to thy seed
The Symbology here is clear, it is the Restoration of all mankind in Christ Jesus, (the SEED). supportive scripture, Rom 4:16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all. (one need to read that again, NOT to the Jews Only, but the promise is to all people of God)
Rom 4:17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
Rom 4:18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations; according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.

This is backed up in Gal 3:16
Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. (that needs to be read again).
Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

The seed is Christ and we all must be in him, Jews and Gentiles.

Eph 2:18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
Eph 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
Eph 2:21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
Eph 2:22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
the land whereon thou liest
The Land here is the promise land, not just a piece of physical land, no, but a rest in Christ Jesus. "liest" or lay is symbolism for rest. and as said this rest is in Christ Jesus. and the Lord Jesus is the center of attention. it’s all about location, where the center of God’s government will be centered at here on earth. For the seed (all people will inherit the earth, the whole earth). God makes it clear as to own the land/earth. A Psalm of David. The earth is the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. So this fighting over some piece of physical land in the middle east is senseless, and evil.

What God promised Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is the whole earth, renewed in righteousness. The land has nothing to do with God's promises to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, except the solemn sign covenant that God entered into with Abraham to confirm that when his descendants had dominion over the area of land described in this solemn covenant, that they will be reassured that they will inherit the whole earth at some time in the distant future from when God entered into the covenantal promises to Abraham , Isaac and Jacob.

Jacob is also told that his descendants would be scattered to the four compass points and because you have been scattered to all the points on the earth, that they will be a blessing top all of the people of the earth. As such, the descendants of Jacob cannot be gathered in one place on the earth like the Land of Canaan and the land around Canaan.

Our understanding of God's covenantal promises is very poor because we focus on what benefit that we might gain rather than on how we will bless the nations around where we reside. We and Israel cannot be a blessing to all of the people of the world if we are concentrated in a very small area of the earth .

Shalom.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

:) on point

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What God promised Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is the whole earth, renewed in righteousness. The land has nothing to do with God's promises to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, except the solemn sign covenant that God entered into with Abraham to confirm that when his descendants had dominion over the area of land described in this solemn covenant, that they will be reassured that they will inherit the whole earth at some time in the distant future from when God entered into the covenantal promises to Abraham , Isaac and Jacob.

Jacob is also told that his descendants would be scattered to the four compass points and because you have been scattered to all the points on the earth, that they will be a blessing top all of the people of the earth. As such, the descendants of Jacob cannot be gathered in one place on the earth like the Land of Canaan and the land around Canaan.

Our understanding of God's covenantal promises is very poor because we focus on what benefit that we might gain rather than on how we will bless the nations around where we reside. We and Israel cannot be a blessing to all of the people of the world if we are concentrated in a very small area of the earth .

Shalom.
Good point

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all.

Symbology Point #8. Jacob Ladder.

Gen 28:15 And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of.

"I am with thee"
In times of trouble, (Jacob trouble), or tribulation, God, the Lord Jesus is with us. This is the whole purpose of his NAME, God’s name. Emmanuel, “God with us”. question, How is God with us? By his Spirit, in and out of flesh. IN FLESH, Supportive scriptures, Luke 2:25 And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.
Luke 2:26 And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ”.
This word “consolation” here in verse 25 is G3874 παράκλησις paraklesis (pa-ra'-klee-sis) n.
1. an imploration, entreaty (urgent request (for mercy or help)).
2. an exhortation (urgent counsel, encouragement, or caution).
3. a comfort, solace.
[from G3870]
KJV: comfort, consolation, exhortation, intreaty

Looking at all three definitions, 1. someone who is a Helps is a Helper. 2. someone who is a counsel is a Counsellor, an advocate, or Mediator. 3. someone who is a comfort is a “COMFORTER”.

to make it simple this “consolation” here is the Holy Ghost/God in Flesh, just as Matthews said, “Emmanuel” God with us, how? in flesh.

Now that God accomplish his mission on sin in the flesh, (he removed sin/iniquity in one day, Zechariah 3:9) he will not leave us “comfortless” he returned to us after his Ascension into heaven (Acts chapter 1) without flesh, as the “ANOTHER” Comforter, hence the asending, and descending on this ladder. scriptures.
John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; ("another" here, as I been saying is G243 Allos, the numerical Difference, but the same "sort". meaning the same person in another "form" as Phil 2:6 states). hope people will get this before it's too late.

John 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

as God/JESUS, Jacob that he will not leave him, so als with his seed, in christ. By God being in Spirit, the out pouring of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost, God indwells us and is with us all the time, he will never leave us just as he promise Jacob that he would not leave him, likewise his seed in c.comhrist US. man oh man what a Symbology, here, DREAM fulfilled.

"and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest"
God has Preserved his people wherever they go by his Spirit. scripture,
Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
Amen.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There were 15 steps that led into the temple in Jerusalem. There were also 15 psalms (Ps. 120-134) called "the psalms of ascent" and these would be ascended one by one to the singing of the appropriate psalm.

This was to symbolize the steps to maturity of a saint.

If we look at the content of the psalms in question....we see that by Ps. 131 the person is finally weaned of his own life...

How did the Jews arrive at that number of steps?

I don't know. Except that this is what is in the bible for all to read about. So I take this to mean that there are 15 phases in the life of a saint...15 transitions to maturity.

Now back to Jacob's ladder. Would it be unreasonable to suggest that there were perhaps 15 steps there as well?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There were 15 steps that led into the temple in Jerusalem. There were also 15 psalms (Ps. 120-134) called "the psalms of ascent" and these would be ascended one by one to the singing of the appropriate psalm.

This was to symbolize the steps to maturity of a saint.

If we look at the content of the psalms in question....we see that by Ps. 131 the person is finally weaned of his own life...

How did the Jews arrive at that number of steps?

I don't know. Except that this is what is in the bible for all to read about. So I take this to mean that there are 15 phases in the life of a saint...15 transitions to maturity.

Now back to Jacob's ladder. Would it be unreasonable to suggest that there were perhaps 15 steps there as well?
thanks for that, I'll take note of IT.

also the apostle Peter gave us 7 thing to add to our Faith,

again thanks.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all.
Symbology Point #9. Jacob Ladder.

Gen 28:16 And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not.

Jacob "awaked" out of his sleep. the devil has put a many of Christian asleep, believing false doctrine, and making tradition of themselves. many don't know what or who to believe. but many Christians are coming out of sleep, being blinded by false prophets.
Rom 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded
Rom 11:8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.
and it is the Lord who is awaking many out of sleep, not the resurrection of the dead, but those who are Spiritually dead in knowledge and understanding.

Gen 28:17 And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.
a. afraid. once Christian see the light the "fear" or the deep respect for God in saving, and protecting us in the time of our igorance, we can appreciate the work of God in us, and how close we came to utter destruction. Correction or the chastisement of God puts us in his house as sons.
Heb 12:5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
Heb 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Heb 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
Heb 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
b. the gate of heaven. a gate symbolize a beginning, or at the beginning. as with a door one enter into something or somewhere else. a NEW BEGINING, “FEAR GOD”. which is,
Prov 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Gen 28:18 And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it.
a. rise up is Christ in the moring, the DAY STAR rise in us.
2Pet 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: supportive scripture,
Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star".
b. the stone, 1Pet 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
c. for a pillar, or a comfort to our stoney heart until we come into the knowledge of the Son.
1Cor 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

d. and this unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, is made possible by the out pouring of the Holy Spirit
Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Gen 28:19 And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first.
a. the House of God is in Christ Jesus, where the Comforter God himself is author and finisher of our faith hence the promise being fulfilled.
b. the city Luz, a city is walled, protection, and Luz "as growing there" christian growth under the protection of God. amen.