Testimony of a Slow Learner

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, I thought I'd take a shot at writing a Testamonial. I was born into a Catholic family. I was an altar boy, studied my catechism, and went to church with my parents and older sister. Throughout High School I was more interested in girls than anything and began to question the Catechism as I couldn't connect the dots to my KJV bible. It seemed to me the Catholic Church had invented alot of doctrine that was not in my bible. I was a prolific reader ever since around Junior High School. I broke off from the Catholic church after High School, joined the Army (1965-68) and after alot of training schools, spent most of my time in SE Asia with the 1st Special Forces Group. When I received my discharge, I went to college on the GI Bill and became a petroleum engineer. I was reading the bible and alot of books on Christian apologetics. I felt an intuitive longing to find truth. I was still langouring in between belief and suspicion. I spent many years away from the church having fun as a competitive aerobatic pilot, sky diver, scuba rescue diver, sailing, fishing and hunting. I spent several years as a Deputy Sheriff/pilot in Oklahoma. I got married in 1975 and my wife and I had 2 boys and moved to Texas. I went to work as a Drilling Engineer for a major oil company and worked in 18 different countries over 30 years. About 15 years ago I finally reached the point where I became convinced of the truths of Christianity (slow learner). I accepted Christ as my Savior and repented my sins (as I still do daily). My conversion from apostate to Christian wasn't a flash of light or while drying the dishes. It was more like a slow cooking stew that simmered for a long trial before convincing me that it was done. I have attended many Christian church denominations and have become tired over the monotonous kindergarden level of preaching. I retired in 2008 and worked with the same company as a consultant until 2020. Now I am fully retired and 75 years old. I now study the bible, theology, apologetics and I ride my mountain bike every day and go fishing when I find time. I'm blessed in that our sons both built new homes within a few blocks of us. We get to see the grandkids alot and have family gatherings on holidays.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing that.
I love personal testimonies. This is what a Christian forum should be about. IMHO

I'm guessing you know what a wildcatter is? (Digger Barns)

/

Reactions: amadeus and Adrift

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seemed to me the Catholic Church had invented alot of doctrine that was not in my bible.

I felt an intuitive longing to find truth. I was still langouring in between belief and suspicion.

My conversion from apostate to Christian wasn't a flash of light or while drying the dishes. It was more like a slow cooking stew that simmered for a long trial before convincing me that it was done. I have attended many Christian church denominations and have become tired over the monotonous kindergarden level of preaching.

Sure we do! False doctrine. Why do you suppose Christ said in John 15:4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you? It's because we might not remain in him.

Do you think God will save us against our will?
Wow! So much of your testimony mirrors my own.

Thanks for sharing. What advice would you give to someone early in their journey?

Reactions: amadeus

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow! So much of your testimony mirrors my own.

Thanks for sharing. What advice would you give to someone early in their journey?
I would say to focus on the words of Jesus. Read both the Old and New Testaments. The New Testament does not replace the Old. It completes it. Read the Old Testament to better understand God and why He sent his Son. Don't allow yourself to be stiff-necked and proud just because you know a few things. Know that there are many who know more.