Texas Town Allows Teachers to Carry Concealed Guns

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ruth

Jan 26, 2009
Lawmakers in at least five states say they will consider laws to allow teachers and administrators to carry firearms at school.
Supporters say it's a good way to protect children. But critics fear gun-carrying teachers could do more harm than good.
In tiny Wichita Falls, Texas, the Harrold Independent School District allows teachers with concealed handgun licenses to carry guns in the classroom.
The policy dates back to 2007. Harrold ISD Superintendent David Thweatt said he believes it has and will prevent a school shooting.
"My goal is that if someone comes in and tries to hurt my little ones that they are killed," Thweatt said.
One student said, "I like it because it kind of makes me feel safer because it's Harrold - we don't have a police station here."
Since the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings in Newtown, Conn., some members of Congress have begun pushing this solution: arm teachers as a first line of defense.
They believe such a plan could have saved lives in Newtown.
"I wish to God she had had an M-4 in her office locked up," Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, said.
http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2012/December/Texas-Town-Allows-Teachers-to-Carry-Concealed-Guns/

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I am an employee of a community college in central Florida. Currently our state supreme court (the same court that voted to spend a fortune on a new building they didn't need....) is deliberating on allowing properly licensed students to carry concealed weapons on campus.

Oddly the college employs a security team, which is only on duty at night - to protect the property. This despite clear evidence that all campus violence has occurred during daylight hours. Forget the people, our equipment will be protected......

I have repeatedly asked my department dean to allow us to simply lock doors that are accessible by the public - doors to areas that no student really needs to get into. Every year during a campus wide seminar series a movie from Homeland Security is shown. The movie states that the first step for security is to lock doors, yet my dean refuses to allow it. Apparently common sense has no part in higher education these days leastwise not on the part of the moron I work for...

Silent alarms and police notification is supposed to be installed. Instead we've got large flat screen TVs that relate the news on crawlers across the bottom of the screen - screens that display campus events on the larger panel. I'm sure that will deter any bad guy from mischief!

Should employees carry concealed weapons? I for one state for the record that there've been many days when I wanted to inflict lethal damage on my computer equipment. In regard to those that aggravate me - I'd rather simply have nothing to do with them. I've already torn out all my hair. What more can I do? (play solitaire for mental health during working hours? Absolutely! A little chocolate helps too.)

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

tgwprophet

Jul 9, 2011
Lehigh Acres, Florida
Seeing teachers with concealed weapons --- then after maybe a few pick pockets take them... open carry weapons just don't seem right. The feeling of a child looking at a teacher with a gun on her/his hip - seems more like some nazi oriented structure. All this and I am pro-guns for American Citizens.

A couple trained and armed janitors in the halls should be very effective and would not be so profound on children.