The Attributes of God 3

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is Immutable, Does not Change

"God is not a human being, that he should lie, or a mortal, that he should change his mind. Has he promised, and will he not do it? Has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?" (Num 23:19 NRSV)

"They will perish, but you endure; they will all wear out like a garment. You change them like clothing, and they pass away; but you are the same, and your years have no end." (Ps 102:26-27 NRSV)

"Every good endowment and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." (Jas 1:17 RSV)

"People swear by what is greater than themselves, and making a statement on oath sets a limit to what can be called in question; and so, since God desired to show even more clearly to the heirs of his promise how immutable was his purpose, he guaranteed it by an oath." (Heb 6:16-17 REB)

God is Benevolent, showing a 'Common Grace' to All

"The Lord is gracious and compassionate, long-suffering and ever faithful. The Lord is good to all; his compassion rests upon all his creatures." (Ps 145:8-9 REB)

"so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous." (Matt 5:45 NRSV)

"In past generations he allowed all the nations to follow their own ways; yet he has not left himself without a witness in doing good—giving you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, and filling you with food and your hearts with joy.” (Acts 14:16-17 NRSV)

God is Love

"So we have known and believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and those who abide in love abide in God, and God abides in them." (1John 4:16 NRSV) "God is love" also 1 John 4:8

"But God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us." (Rom 5:8 NRSV)

"I reprove and discipline those whom I love. Be earnest, therefore, and repent." (Rev 3:19 NRSV)

"God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that everyone who has faith in him may not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16 REB) *There are some verses that speak of God hating persons, Rom. 9:13; Mal. 1:3; Prov 6:16-19

God is Faithful and True

"It was not because you were more numerous than any other people that the LORD set his heart on you and chose you—for you were the fewest of all peoples. It was because the LORD loved you and kept the oath that he swore to your ancestors, ..." (Deut 7:7-8a NRSV)

"if we are faithless, he remains faithful— for he cannot deny himself." (2Tim 2:13 NRSV)

"God is to be trusted, and therefore what we tell you is not a mixture of Yes and No." (2Cor 1:18 REB)

"in the hope of eternal life that God, who never lies, promised before the ages began—" (Titus 1:2 NRSV)

"Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who has promised is faithful." (Heb 10:23 NRSV)

"...they cried out with a loud voice, “Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long will it be before you judge and avenge our blood on the inhabitants of the earth?” (Rev 6:10 NRSV)

God is Just and Holy

"the fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the LORD are true and righteous altogether." (Ps 19:9 NRSV)

"They shall celebrate the fame of your abundant goodness, and shall sing aloud of your righteousness." (Ps 145:7 NRSV)

"O LORD, God of Israel, you are just, but we have escaped as a remnant, as is now the case. Here we are before you in our guilt, though no one can face you because of this.” (Ezra 9:15 NRSV)

"And I heard the altar respond, 'Yes, O Lord God, the Almighty, your judgments are true and just!'” (Rev 16:7 NRSV)

These are major attributes as I find them in Scripture and you will see there is an interaction between them. How can he be omnipresent or immense if he has a body? Next I'll address how the attributes come into a discussion of "the problem of evil", or the matter of God having body parts like "arms". Then I wish to go into some basic things so connected to the attributes; the decree, plans, acts of God, purpose, etc.