The Book Of Revelation Is Not Literal Or Partial Literal

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
The Book of Revelation is not a literal book, it is not even a partial literal, and no where in its pages is there any mention of this yet God’s people do there best to literalize the most spiritual book in the whole Bible.

Revelations 1:1
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass (not 2000 years); and he sent and signified (signs and symbols) it by his angel (messenger) unto his servant John:

John was in Spirit on the Lord’s Day; this makes the Revelation a spiritual book; not literal, not carnal, not half prophetic. Revelation or the unveiling of Jesus Christ; it is the most spiritual Book in all the Bible; and as I just said I always put Genesis in second place. It is a book full of hidden spiritual symbolisms and for those who have the spiritual eyes or ears to see or hear it. (notice those with spiritual eyes are singular; God is not calling system, he never has; He calls people, ecclesia or the out called.)

lecoop

May 21, 2008
The Book of Revelation is not a literal book, it is not even a partial literal, and no where in its pages is there any mention of this yet God’s people do there best to literalize the most spiritual book in the whole Bible.

The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass (not 2000 years); and he sent and signified (signs and symbols) it by his angel (messenger) unto his servant John:

John was in Spirit on the Lord’s Day; this makes the Revelation a spiritual book; not literal, not carnal, not half prophetic. Revelation or the unveiling of Jesus Christ; it is the most spiritual Book in all the Bible; and as I just said I always put Genesis in second place. It is a book full of hidden spiritual symbolisms and for those who have the spiritual eyes or ears to see or hear it. (notice those with spiritual eyes are singular; God is not calling system, he never has; He calls people, ecclesia or the out called.)

I wonder of you walk around, or drive around backwards all day? We ALWAYS approach scripture as litteral unless common sense tells us other wise - NOT the other way around. With your argument, God is a spirit, so His word is spiritual, so ALL scripture must be considered some kind of allegory or deep spiritual truth.

By the way, it says John was in the spirit on the Lord's day.......Did you NOT just take that phrase literally? HOW do you know that it what it means? By your own argument, it could mean that John was swimming in a deep river, or maybe just reading the book of Daniel. You see, when you start down your road, any scripture means anything to everyone. That is NOT what God intended.

When it says, I John, your fellow servant in the tribulation (My paraphrase from memory) we see that John considered himself in "the tribulation." NOT I John ...in tribulation. So if there is "THE tribulation," then it started way back then.

That is an example of taking a scripture for exactly what it says.

Coop

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
First of all I am not speaking of me driving anywhere, nor am I am speaking of anything I do in the natural realm, we are speaking of the most spiritual book in the whole Bible. What does common sense have to do with that is spiritual, common sense is a awesome earthy way of doing things seeing things hearing things, I must use common sense in my every day funtion when I drive my car, when I am at work but this has nothing to do with that is spiritual.

Nor did I put the words in God’s Word that declares John was in spirit, neither did I write the literal words of the first verse of this most spiritual book in the whiole Bible. Just because somethiing is written literal does not mean we have to take it literal, on the contrary how can we as human, carnal earthy being understand something spiritual unless God writes it down in a literal text. But the message is an inward message not an outward message.

You are wrong spiritual things do not mean anything to anyone, spiritual things have a message to those who have ears to hear, if you do not have ears to hear you are right many hear things that are not spiritual.

Yes John’s tribulation was probably literal, but it was also very spiritual. Acts 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

NT:2347
thlipsis (thlip'-sis); from NT:2346; pressure
And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks, and in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks one like unto the Son of man" (Rev. 1:12-13).
The candlestick realm is the Church realm! THAT’S WHERE THE MESSAGE IS! The message is not out there, not from Christ in some far-off heaven somewhere, not from an angel from heaven, not from Christ outside of us. The message is within. The voice of the Son of God is the voice in the Churches, within those in the churches who are walking in the Spirit and seeing and hearing by the Spirit. Weren’t nearly all of us in the churches when first we heard the Voice? It’s among us! It’s in our midst! The kingdom of God is within you! The Spirit of the Son is within you! God dwelleth in you! The Holy Ghost is within you! The word of Christ dwelleth richly in you! The anointing abideth within you! The voice of the Son of God is heard from within
I wonder of you walk around, or drive around backwards all day? We ALWAYS approach scripture as litteral unless common sense tells us other wise - NOT the other way around. With your argument, God is a spirit, so His word is spiritual, so ALL scripture must be considered some kind of allegory or deep spiritual truth.

By the way, it says John was in the spirit on the Lord's day.......Did you NOT just take that phrase literally? HOW do you know that it what it means? By your own argument, it could mean that John was swimming in a deep river, or maybe just reading the book of Daniel. You see, when you start down your road, any scripture means anything to everyone. That is NOT what God intended.

When it says, I John, your fellow servant in the tribulation (My paraphrase from memory) we see that John considered himself in "the tribulation." NOT I John ...in tribulation. So if there is "THE tribulation," then it started way back then.

Coop

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
I am sorry you like most get so offended what God’s Word not my opinion declares; I did not write the Book of Revelation; I read its Word’s and let the words dictate to be what is being said by God’s Holy Spirit with in me; not by some religious order or system.

No one has ever said the seven churches were not real, were not establish in Asia; you see that what makes it so interesting is they were literal; BUT….they are very spiritual also, that deep hidden message right in front our eyes and our religious eyes did not see it.

Pro. 25: 2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter.
God always hides His spiritual
1. EPHESUS - APOSTOLIC CHURCH
2. SMYRNA - MARTYR CHURCH
3. PERGAMOS - STATE CHURCH
4. THYATIRA - PAPAL CHURCH
5. SARDIS - REFORMATION CHURCH
6. PHILADELPHIA - MISSIONARY CHURCH
7. LAODICEA - APOSTATE CHURC

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
Before considering the significant and momentous events occurring under the sixth seal, it will be advantageous to first review one important principle that will greatly aid our understanding of almost all the scenes we behold not only under the sixth seal, but throughout the remainder of the book of Revelation. I would draw your attention to the fact that the vast majority of the events in the book take place in one of three dimensions: HEAVEN, EARTH, and SEA. These are, of course, symbolical and prophetical terms! They represent states of being, life-styles, levels of consciousness, spheres of existence, and dimensions of life within each of us.

THE SEA
The lowest of these three realms is the sea. Throughout the book of Revelation a number of things transpire in the sea. A few of them are as follows. “And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and a third part of the sea became blood.” “I stood upon the sand of the sea, and I saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns.” “And the sea gave up the dead that were in it.” “Woe to the inhabiters of the sea, for the devil is come down unto you.” “And I saw a new heaven and a new earth…and there was no more sea.”

Throughout the scriptures the sea is a type of the inner storms and turbulent nature of the Adamic man. The prophet Isaiah penned these inspired words: “The wicked are like the troubled sea, which cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt. There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked” (Isa. 57:20-21). Jude also described wicked men when he said, “These are raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame” (Jude 13). The beloved John, on the isle of Patmos, had a vision of a great whore sitting on many waters. The angel revealed the meaning of the many waters, saying, “the waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues” (Rev. 17:15).

The natural sea is a great deep, an abyss (Gen. 1:2; 7:11; 8:2; Deut. 8:7; 33:13). The Psalmist wrote of this abyss of the wickedness of man, “They search out iniquities; they accomplish a diligent search: both the inward thought of every one of them, and the heart is D-E-E-P (an abyss)” (Ps. 64:6). To the enlightened mind of David the depth of iniquity of which the human heart is capable is so great that it is beyond the ability of man to comprehend. The heart of man is an unfathomable depth, or, as Jeremiah observed, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?” (Jer. 17:9). While John the Revelator saw a beast (bestial nature) rising out of the sea (abyss, depth) of humanity, Jesus expressed the same truth thus: “For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed all these evil things!”

No one can dispute the fact that it is this restless, turbulent, raging, evil heart of the fleshly man that inspires every evil and devilish perversion, and has filled the world with ever increasing confusion, faithlessness, immorality, falsehood, fraud, hatred, violence, greed, cruelty, strife, wars, bloodshed, and oppression. There are wars and rumors of wars and terrorism that strike fear into the hearts of men. Among the ruthless surging tide of unbridled crime, drugs, rebellion, illicit sex, disease, suffering, abuse, poverty, - 2 - sorrow, and injustice, we hear the groans of the dying. The whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain! Men‟s hearts are failing them for fear in looking after those things which are coming upon the earth. It is more than a raging sea of evil — it is a virtual tsunami of self-destruction! As we look at the sad earth today, it is plain for every eye to see that, flowing from the corrupt minds of the corrupt rulers of every corrupt government on earth, taught in the schools, practiced in business and in the courts, and propagated by the media and Hollywood, we find the evil fruit of sin and death manifesting itself. Everywhere on the planet mankind is being overwhelmed by its evil until the earth is filled with violence and the thoughts and imaginations of men‟s hearts are only evil continually.

The natural man is not getting better, as some affirm. The unregenerate man, old Adam, is corruptible. That means not only that he is dying, but that he is continually being brought into a worse state and inferior condition leading to destruction. He is on a never-ending downward spiral into oblivion. Is not this the terrible danger of the hour in which we live — enough bombs stockpiled to not only blow planet earth to smithereens but twenty more like it! And all in the hands of unpredictable, corruptible men, and terrorists everywhere on the prowl. You may suffer from the illusion that human nature has improved during the past sixty-five years since the horror of the Holocaust and the savage warfare in which fifty million men, women, and children were blown into eternity, but you are mistaken. Human nature never improves, old Adam can never reform, for his is a corruptible nature, growing steadily more vicious, deceitful, and immoral.

For us the seashore is a place of vacation, and a cruise across the sea is for many the dream of a lifetime. Not so for the ancients! To them the sea symbolized chaos and destruction and unrest. One description of this is found in Psalm 107:23-30. These things, gathered together in the concept of the hostile sea, represent a part of human existence. The disquiet that goes on in many souls is sometimes almost beyond bearing. Friend, have you ever heard someone who has passed through mental or emotional torment speak of its hell? Have you ever seen the quivering jaw of someone crying bitter tears after having taken all that a human being could be expected to endure? Have you ever tried to encourage someone who is in an impossible corner of life with absolutely no exit to be seen? Have you ever stood beside someone and felt by way of empathy a groan of inner misery so deep that it cannot even find its way into words? Some of you have known dear people who have so suffered. Some of you have experienced some of these things yourselves! But there is a place — a place in God‟s new heaven and in God‟s new earth, in the realm of the Spirit, where the anguish represented by the sea exists for us no more! “And there shall be no more sea.” Thank God!

Shelli

Nov 13, 2007

Coop

So sorry to see you as a "believer" depending on common sense, when it is uncommon sense which God wants us to have when knowing Godliness and performing service to Him.

No wonder Christendom today is full of nominal and impotent "believers." They like common sense.

Look at it this way if you wish: Did Jesus do or say anything which was "common sense?" Lol. Did you want ot be like Him, or not ... ? Lol.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada

Benoni

I encourage you to learn some basic theology and how to properly read scripture. You have chosen Revelation (Not easy to understand) but here are a couple of pointers I hope you find helpful:

=== First you said .... "which must shortly come to pass (not 2000 years)" .... this is correct and is from Rev 1:1

=== But you missed this .... "Write, therefore, what you have seen, what is now and what will take place later." ... these are some key words that assist in structuring Revelation. They are from Rev 1:19

At another time you may also wish to do a search of the phrase "after this" used in the book of Revelation. The NIV Translation shows 6 different times. You may find this helpful also as you try to structure Revelation.

In regard to your comment "John was in the Spirit" , I think that is referring to his being taken (in the spirit) to see the vision of the future. And yes , a lot of it is spiritual (shows activities in the spiritual realms) but there is also clearly a cause and effect down here on earth as well.

Best wishes with you're studies Benoni , and don't worry if you cannot completely understand all of Revelation , none of us can.

Martin

gumby

May 29, 2009
The book of revelation i would say is the hardest book to study in the bible, however i must intervene here by saying that revelation means to be revealed or to make known. Now has evrything been known? no theres still alot more to be revealed hence the title relevaltion. Gods message is plain about this subject you either beleive or you dont theres no gray area, 1st John 5:10 and John 3:18.

God bless

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
The book of revelation i would say is the hardest book to study in the bible, however i must intervene here by saying that revelation means to be revealed or to make known. Now has everything been known? no there's still allot more to be revealed hence the title Revelation. Gods message is plain about this subject you either believe or you dont theres no gray area, 1st John 5:10 and John 3:18.

God bless
I agree gumby the very name means to reveal God didnt want revelation a secret from us ... In fact its was written in a veiled manner as to keep it hidden until our generation
Dan 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, [even] to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased

between people trying to understand it through the reformers or trying to make it a spiritual book alone or a history book
or a book about only Christians. ect ect. Seems to me all we ever hear is the same ole opinions.
Yet I do believe God wants it understood I just think we need to forget all we have heard from men.
I think many of us have bits and pieces of it right just need to find the Key to make all the pieces fit together

I have recently been shown some clues to understanding Rev. not necessarily all the answers to every little thing but as to the structure /order of how we are to understand it ...If we don't know how the frame work is meant to go we cant put the puzzle together
the Key to Revelation and its frame work is the trumps. A trump heralds the action to begin no action can take place until a trump is sounded. the seals Vials are not trumpets they are details of what will occur when the action begins Revelation tells a little about what happens before the action and how the action Ends
All the rest is details about the action every action begins with a trump its all hung on the structure of the 7 trumpets

The seals are an overview they will be fulfilled but within the trumps the action can not occur until the trumpet blows.
I know some will disagree but until we stop trying to fit Revelation into the same ole square holes and look at it with new eyes we are doomed to the same old arguments we have all had.

If anyone is interested in taking a new look at Revelation I would be glad to have a discussion on what I was given and see if we can work to put it all together on the other hand if you just want to continue the same old arguments an opinions we all had and heard many times continue on..... :)

gumby

May 29, 2009
I agree gumby the very name means to reveal God didnt want revelation a secret from us ... In fact its was written in a veiled manner as to keep it hidden until our generation
Dan 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, [even] to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased

between people trying to understand it through the reformers or trying to make it a spiritual book alone or a history book
or a book about only Christians. ect ect. Seems to me all we ever hear is the same ole opinions.
Yet I do believe God wants it understood I just think we need to forget all we have heard from men.
I think many of us have bits and pieces of it right just need to find the Key to make all the pieces fit together

I have recently been shown some clues to understanding Rev. not necessarily all the answers to every little thing but as to the structure /order of how we are to understand it ...If we don't know how the frame work is meant to go we cant put the puzzle together
the Key to Revelation and its frame work is the trumps. A trump heralds the action to begin no action can take place until a trump is sounded. the seals Vials are not trumpets they are details of what will occur when the action begins Revelation tells a little about what happens before the action and how the action Ends
All the rest is details about the action every action begins with a trump its all hung on the structure of the 7 trumpets

The seals are an overview they will be fulfilled but within the trumps the action can not occur until the trumpet blows.
I know some will disagree but until we stop trying to fit Revelation into the same ole square holes and look at it with new eyes we are doomed to the same old arguments we have all had.

If anyone is interested in taking a new look at Revelation I would be glad to have a discussion on what I was given and see if we can work to put it all together on the other hand if you just want to continue the same old arguments an opinions we all had and heard many times continue on..... :)

i cant speak for evryone but im up for new ideas :)

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
I have not been on the forums in a while but I came back today and began surfing over many of the topics.

Benoni, it seems practically every topic you have started seems to go against scripture and God's truth. I hope that you are not as wrong in all of your beliefs as the ones you post about on here. I pray that God opens your eyes to the truth, and that you start to see the Bible for what it really says and not the swayed opinions that you have derived from only God knows where.

Revelation has a whole lot of literal parts in it! Are there a lot of spiritual aspects as well? Of course! However, to say that "nothing" in the book of revelation is literal is a lie, and a sign of true ignorance when it comes to the truth in God's Word. I will post some verses later that have literal references in other parts of the Bible that back them up, and hopefully you will see that there are many literal meanings in revelation. If you do not see that then you will be missing out on many truths that are there for the Christian to see.

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
What you are confused about is religious truth and Biblical truth. If I am posting something not based on scripture please show me. You claim the Book of Revelation has literal parts, of course it does. How can you see or preceive the spiritual unless it is written literally; but the meaning is spiritual ask John. He was in spirit on the Lord's day. Now please show me where it says John was being literal, or is that just your bias opinion?

Just because you do not agee with me does not mean what I post is wrong. Please let us discuss God’s Word and let God’s Word decide not your opinion. God has opened my eyes, perhaps he will use me to help open your eyes to the truth of scipture. I know what the Bible says and it surely does not say what the ten thousand daughters of Babylon declare.

You speak of true ignorace, what a personal attack. You cannot back you claim with God’s Word so you call names? Please post your verses and we will have a deep discusssion based on what God’s Word declares. I will be missing nothing when it comes to the literal for the letter killeth.

I have not been on the forums in a while but I came back today and began surfing over many of the topics.

Benoni, it seems practically every topic you have started seems to go against scripture and God's truth. I hope that you are not as wrong in all of your beliefs as the ones you post about on here. I pray that God opens your eyes to the truth, and that you start to see the Bible for what it really says and not the swayed opinions that you have derived from only God knows where.

Revelation has a whole lot of literal parts in it! Are there a lot of spiritual aspects as well? Of course! However, to say that "nothing" in the book of revelation is literal is a lie, and a sign of true ignorance when it comes to the truth in God's Word. I will post some verses later that have literal references in other parts of the Bible that back them up, and hopefully you will see that there are many literal meanings in revelation. If you do not see that then you will be missing out on many truths that are there for the Christian to see.

rob

Sep 2, 2009
As the last book of the Bible, Revelation is the conclusion, completion, and consummation of the entire divine revelation, the whole Bible. The seeds of most of the truths of the divine revelation were sown in Genesis, the first book of the Bible. The growth of all these seeds is progressively developed in the succeeding books, especially in the books of the New Testament, and the harvest is reaped in the book of Revelation. Hence, most of the things covered in this book are not absolutely new but are in the preceding books and are perfected in this book, the focus of which is the unique, ultimate revelation of Christ, the particular, consummate testimony of Jesus, and the universal, eternal economy of God.
This book is a book of prophecy--- not prophecy merely in words but in visions revealed to the seer. In the eyes of God, all the things prophesied in this book have already taken place. Thus, all were shown to the seer, vision after vision. Therefore, most of the verbs used in this book are in the past tense.
The whole Bible reveals Christ; the book of Revelaltion especially, as the conclusion, completion, and consummation of the whole Bible, is "the revelation of Jesus Christ." Although this book also reveals many other things, the focus of its revelation is Christ. Several aspects concerning Christ, such as the vision of Christ as the High Priest in the midst of the churches, caring for them in love yet with a judging attitude (v v. 13-16), the vision of Him as the Lion-Lamb in the midst of God's throne and of the four living creatures and in the midst of the twenty -four elders of the universe, opening the seven seals of God's universal administration (5:1 - 6:1), and the vision of Him as "another strong Angel" coming down out of heaven to take posssession of the earth (10:1-8; 18:1), etc., were never unveiled as they are in this book.
The revelation of this book is composed mainly of signs, i.e., symbols of spiritual significance, such as the seven lampstands, signifying the churches; the seven stars, signifying the messengers of the churches (v. 20), etc.
Even the New Jerusalem is a sign, signifying the ultimate consummation of God's economy (chapters 21--22), This book, then, is a book of signs through which the revelation is made known to us.
John's Gospel is a book of signs signifying how Christ came to be our life to produce the church, His bride. John's Revelation is a book of signs showing how Christ is now caring for the church and how He is coming to judge and possess the earth and bring the church, His bride, into God's full economy .........................................................................

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
BIG AMEN

As the last book of the Bible, Revelation is the conclusion, completion, and consummation of the entire divine revelation, the whole Bible. The seeds of most of the truths of the divine revelation were sown in Genesis, the first book of the Bible. The growth of all these seeds is progressively developed in the succeeding books, especially in the books of the New Testament, and the harvest is reaped in the book of Revelation. Hence, most of the things covered in this book are not absolutely new but are in the preceding books and are perfected in this book, the focus of which is the unique, ultimate revelation of Christ, the particular, consummate testimony of Jesus, and the universal, eternal economy of God.
This book is a book of prophecy--- not prophecy merely in words but in visions revealed to the seer. In the eyes of God, all the things prophesied in this book have already taken place. Thus, all were shown to the seer, vision after vision. Therefore, most of the verbs used in this book are in the past tense.
The whole Bible reveals Christ; the book of Revelaltion especially, as the conclusion, completion, and consummation of the whole Bible, is "the revelation of Jesus Christ." Although this book also reveals many other things, the focus of its revelation is Christ. Several aspects concerning Christ, such as the vision of Christ as the High Priest in the midst of the churches, caring for them in love yet with a judging attitude (v v. 13-16), the vision of Him as the Lion-Lamb in the midst of God's throne and of the four living creatures and in the midst of the twenty -four elders of the universe, opening the seven seals of God's universal administration (5:1 - 6:1), and the vision of Him as "another strong Angel" coming down out of heaven to take posssession of the earth (10:1-8; 18:1), etc., were never unveiled as they are in this book.
The revelation of this book is composed mainly of signs, i.e., symbols of spiritual significance, such as the seven lampstands, signifying the churches; the seven stars, signifying the messengers of the churches (v. 20), etc.
Even the New Jerusalem is a sign, signifying the ultimate consummation of God's economy (chapters 21--22), This book, then, is a book of signs through which the revelation is made known to us.
John's Gospel is a book of signs signifying how Christ came to be our life to produce the church, His bride. John's Revelation is a book of signs showing how Christ is now caring for the church and how He is coming to judge and possess the earth and bring the church, His bride, into God's full economy .........................................................................