• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theophilus

Nov 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For thousands of years everyone regarded the earth as the center of creation and believed that the sun, moon, and stars revolved around it. Early in the 16th century Nicolaus Copernicus proved that this belief was wrong and that the earth revolved around the sun.

The Bible tells us that this earth will someday be destroyed by fire and replaced by a new one.

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
Revelation 21:1 ESV

This new earth will become God’s dwelling place.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God."
Revelation 21:3 ESV

We know that the world we live in now is not the center of the universe but I think it is possible that the new earth might be. After all it will be God’s dwelling place. Perhaps the erroneous belief that many held in the past will become the truth.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For thousands of years everyone regarded the earth as the center of creation and believed that the sun, moon, and stars revolved around it. Early in the 16th century Nicolaus Copernicus proved that this belief was wrong and that the earth revolved around the sun.

The Bible tells us that this earth will someday be destroyed by fire and replaced by a new one.

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
Revelation 21:1 ESV

This new earth will become God’s dwelling place.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God."
Revelation 21:3 ESV

We know that the world we live in now is not the center of the universe but I think it is possible that the new earth might be. After all it will be God’s dwelling place. Perhaps the erroneous belief that many held in the past will become the truth.

I disagree that the scriptures say planet Earth will be destroyed by fire, and replaced with a new one.
The scriptures have used phrases like new heaven and new earth when dealing with Israel when Jehovah God was freeing them from the yoke of the Babylonian Empire and helping them to rebuild Jerusalem and its temple. The phrase New heaven and new earth should not thought of as God destroying the physical universe including earth and recreating a new one.

Hundreds of years before John’s day, Jehovah had said to Isaiah: “For here I am creating new heavens and a new earth; and the former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart.” (Isaiah 65:17; 66:22) This prophecy was initially fulfilled when faithful Jews returned to Jerusalem in 537 B.C.E. after their 70-year exile in Babylon. In that restoration, they formed a cleansed society, “a new earth,” under a new governmental system, “new heavens.” The apostle Peter, however, pointed to a further application of the prophecy, saying: “But there are new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to his promise, and in these righteousness is to dwell.” (2 Peter 3:13) John now shows that this promise is fulfilled during the Lord’s day. “The former heaven and the former earth,” Satan’s organized system of things with its governmental structure influenced by Satan and his demons, will pass away. The turbulent “sea” of wicked, rebellious mankind will cease to exist. In its place will be “a new heaven and a new earth”—a new earthly society under a new government, God’s Kingdom.

New Jerusalem is the bride of Christ, made up of the anointed Christians who remain faithful to death and who are raised to become kings and priests with the glorified Jesus. (Revelation 3:12; 20:6) Just as earthly Jerusalem became the seat of government in ancient Israel, the magnificent New Jerusalem and her Bridegroom make up the government of the new system of things. This is the new heaven. The ‘bride comes down out of heaven,’ not literally, but in the sense of directing attention to the earth. The Lamb’s bride is to be his loyal helpmeet in operating a righteous government over all mankind. A blessing indeed for the new earth!

Also, mankind can't literally see God and live. So God will not literally live with mankind when the scriptures say the dwelling place with God, will be with man.

When Jehovah made the Law covenant with the then new nation of Israel, he promised: “I shall certainly put my tabernacle in the midst of you, and my soul will not abhor you. And I shall indeed walk in the midst of you and prove myself your God, and you, on your part, will prove yourselves my people.” (Leviticus 26:11, 12) Now Jehovah is making a similar promise to faithful humans. During the thousand-year Judgment Day, they will become a very special people to him.
No one literally saw The True God Jehovah when he made the law covenant with Israel, yet the scriptures say God was in the midst of them and walked in their midst.