The challenge in Christianity is not to love Jesus, it's to love Judas.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

laBonhomme

Nov 25, 2023
Western Cascades
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the stated penalty in the law? Seems the natural consequence of the deed is enough.
And why would God not have mercy on one who has determined they are better off not remaining in the land of the living?

/
Don't worry, homie, the anti-Suicide law doesn't apply to you. It's a religious French law from before the revolution, which separated the French church from the French state, as is de rigour in a modern republic.

The jurisprudence of it included the fact that God created the world good, so if you kill yourself to escape it this shows that you are against God. As for your question about whether the natural consequence is enough, you seem to have some nonlinear thought in that sentence. What's your problem with death, seeing that you think the world can be so miserable that you'd commit homicide to try to escape it? You don't believe in Hell anyway, so obviously if the person dies, in your mind nothing further happened to him.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The jurisprudence of it included the fact that God created the world good, so if you kill yourself to escape it this shows that you are against God.
That seems like a total disregard for what brings a person to that point. Not a random thoughtless act. An indication that something is terribly wrong. And likely has nothing to do with the victim's position toward God.

As for your question about whether the natural consequence is enough, you seem to have some nonlinear thought in that sentence.
Capital punishment is death. Nothing can be inflicted beyond that.

What's your problem with death, seeing that you think the world can be so miserable that you'd commit homicide to try to escape it? You don't believe in Hell anyway, so obviously if the person dies, in your mind nothing further happened to him.
My issue is with the apparent disregard for what brings a person to that point. (as stated earlier) Treatment for attempted suicide is telling.

We will all die, and certainly something further will happen to everyone in the afterlife.
There will be judgment, correction, restoration, and redemption for all.

1 Corinthians 15:22
For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

/

Cyd

Nov 10, 2023
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I know. Judas is said to have repented, but the forgot to repent to Jesus, who was dead on the cross by then. Also, he's supposed to have repented in the temple, but he had a bad attitude about it, the narrative sates that he threw the money on the floor and left, which isn't how repenting is done in the temple, the laws of confession and sacrifice are in Deuteronomy.

The most important thing about that scene is that it's the basis of the law against suicide.
The fact that Judas threw the silver to me makes me wonder if they deceived Judas. Repenting is to God to me.. are you saying that no person can be or was ever saved in the OT? God is the same changes not.. Salvation to me was there in the OT people led wrong is all. Messiah said as I have said before.. with red neon lights flashing haha Mt 22:37-40 do you not believe this, that is law you state, who are we to say Judas didn't feel that way? Plus the disciples and following Messiah. He told them to stay under the Pharisees Mt 23:1-3 to much is missing for me to judge it plus as said he was called friend. Plus a scripture pointed out to me this a.m. it was Peter that Messiah said get thee behind me satan to not Judas.

Last edited: