The Christian Exodus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“For I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, and all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ. Nevertheless, with most of them God was not pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness. Now these things took place as examples for us, that we might not desire evil as they did. Do not be idolaters as some of them were; as it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink and rose up to play.” We must not indulge in sexual immorality as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in a single day. We must not put Christ to the test, as some of them did and were destroyed by serpents, nor grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed by the Destroyer. Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come. Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.” (1 Corinthians 10:1–14, ESV)

These verses are an incredibly powerful section of Scripture that portrays a link between the Exodus and the Christian life. Paul challenges the church in Corinth to be on the alert of things that are leading them astray and links those traps to the same types of stumbling blocks the Israelites faced in the wilderness that led to their demise. Lets look at some of the connection the NT makes with the Exodus and the Christian life, some of which are portrayed above.

Egypt = Sin
Just as Israel escaped slavery to Egypt to go out and form a new covenant with God, so Christians escape slavery from sin in the new covenant in Christ. Jesus said, "Anyone who sins is a slave to sin. But when the Son sets you free, you are free indeed." Jesus was God's Son who was led out of Egypt. When we are in Christ we too are set free from sin.

Red Sea = Baptism
The Israelites were "baptized" into Moses which purposefully provides a bridge from the Red Sea to Christian baptism. Our passage through water depicts our escape from captivity and opens the way to a new life.

Pillar of Cloud = Holy Spirit
The Israelites were led through out of captivity and through the wilderness each day by the cloud and fire. Just as they were "under the cloud" so we are to be under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Manna = Body of Christ
The Israelites were freely given sustenance by God's grace in the midst of the wilderness each day to provide for all their needs. Jesus' flesh is "true food" and as Paul says here is "spiritual food." It is food provided by God to sustain his people in their journey. Christ is sufficient. Let us be warned of grumbling that this provision is not enough or that we seek better provision elsewhere! (see also John 6).

The Rock = Christ
Christ/God (another important concept revolving around Christ's divinity) was the Rock providing the drink for the Israelites according to Paul. This provision followed them as they journeyed in the hot desert. This sheds all new light on why God was so angry that Moses struck the rock in order for it to provide water and would not allow Moses into the Promised Land as a result. Indeed, Christ was struck and from his side "blood and water flowed."

The Water = Blood of Christ/Holy Spirit
Jesus declared that his blood is true drink. Communion points to eating and drinking this spiritual food and drink which represents the body and blood of Jesus. Also, Jesus declared that anyone who was thirsty was welcome to come and drink. Those who would come to him would have "streams of living water" flow from within them (which John said refers to the Holy Spirit).

Joshua/Jeshua (Jesus)
It wasn't Moses that led the people into the Promised Land. It was Joshua/Jeshua. When everyone else failed to trust God in the seemingly overwhelming odds, Joshua was one of two who didn't and was appointed to lead God's people into the land as a result.

Promised Land/New Jerusalem (Heaven)/Jesus
Hebrews makes it clear that Joshua did not give people the "rest" they sought. Rather, God's word pointed to another rest that we can enter in. While the rest of the Promised Land kept the people from wandering in the desert anymore, it was only a figure of the true rest to come. In Christ we can rest from our labors and enter into that rest. We find rest in Christ. We are not saved by our works, but enter the land of Promise by finding rest in the righteousness of Christ.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Very nice.

Except that the church today is running toward forbidden associations and embracing wickedness rather than rejecting it.

Everything you've written is true. Everything you've written is an indictment against the institutional church today.

And we are seeing God's judgment in that the Holy Spirit is withdrawing it's blessing and attention and ministry from it.

Let the reader be aware that though God will forgive seventy times seven of the sins of man, He will NOT forgive the sins of a corrupt institution.
Nowhere in scripture does it promise endless forgiveness to institutions. Quite the reverse, judgment - severe judgment - is promised upon those religious groups and nations that deny God and His righteousness.

The Great Apostacy, spoken of in the pages of Holy Writ, is upon us this day. May God have mercy upon us.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Feb 12, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can use many passages of the Old testament and compare them to the Christian walk, it all foreshadowed the coming of Christ and the Christian walk with Him.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood

You seem to be magnifying some thing here that is a matter of fact. Jesus fulfilled the Torah therefore if you want to know what it is He fulfilled, it might be wise to look into it. The Torah is the belief system for those who the Lord God walks with, that again Jesus fulfilled. And since we are to be fulfilled in Christ, then the Torah is significant. If you remember there where men walking after Jesus was crucified and when the Lord walked with them pointing out that which was fulfilled, according to them their hearts were burning. You would be amazed just how much wisdom and understanding is in the reading of the Torah in the relationship of Christ’s fulfillment thereof.

The advantage we have in the knowledge of Christ is that we don’t need to interpret the Torah, because Jesus is the interpretation thereof.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DPM,

I am not sure I follow you. Did my comments come across as a repudiation of the Torah? All of the analogies I used are based out of explicit texts in the NT that compare the Christian life to the Exodus, so I am not proposing anything here that is not explicitly or implicitly referenced in the NT.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
DPM,

I am not sure I follow you. Did my comments come across as a repudiation of the Torah? All of the analogies I used are based out of explicit texts in the NT that compare the Christian life to the Exodus, so I am not proposing anything here that is not explicitly or implicitly referenced in the NT.

Why? Was it your intention to repudiate the Torah? Should I call the easily offended for the Torah forgivers for you? Are you suffering from some kind of don’t offend paranoia or something? What the matter? Don’t you know that Exodus is in the Torah? By the way, who uses the word repudiate anyway, when something like reject or disregard would be sufficient?

This is the only site that has people that use threads that are designed for discussions, and treat it like its for blogging and what they post shouldn’t be responded to. If you don’t want to talk about what you’ve posted, start a blogging section.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DPM,

I am truly bewildered by your comments. I really have no idea what you are talking about. I am glad you responded and am trying to engage in conversation. I am asking questions because I really do not understand what you are trying to say. My comments were based out of Paul's quote in 1 Corinthians and how he draws comparisons between the Exodus and the Christian life. Your comments appeared as if you thought I was minimizing the Torah. Perhaps that is not what you meant, but I don't know. That is why I was asking a sincere question.

I don't know what I have done to create this kind of angst (is it okay if I use that word?). Also, for your information, I am quite familiar with how this site works which is why I posted this under "Bible Study" and also happens to be why I help moderate it.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What denominational system? I haven't referenced any denomination in this post that I am aware of. I was discussing a text in 1 Corinthians and was not trying to suggest anything in this OP about denominationalism or any particular denomination. Sorry if my OP was misleading.