The Devourer

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Devourer.

Matthew 23: 14 Woe unto you, scribes, and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

The devourer is the flesh. Flesh provoked by the father of all corruptible flesh: satan.

James 1: Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. The when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Like with Judas, satan tempts and man is drawn away of his own lust: the flesh. Bringing forth sin, then death.

Exodus: Thy right hand, O Lord, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O Lord, hath dashed in pieces the enemy. (Who is the right hand?)

And in the greatness of thine excellency thou hast overthrown them that rose up against thee: thou sentest forth thy wrath, which consumed them as stubble.

And with the blast of thy nostrils the waters were gathered together, the floods stood upright as an heap, and the depths were congealed in the heart of the sea.

The enemy said, I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil; my lust shall be satisfied upon them; I will draw my sword, my hand shall destroy them.

Thou didst blow with thy wind, the sea covered them: they sank as lead in the mighty waters.

Who is like unto thee, O Lord, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?

Thou stretchedst out thy right hand, the earth swallowed them. (Who is the right hand?)

Thou in thy mercy hast led forth the people which thou hast redeemed: thou hast guided them in thy strength unto thy holy habitation.

The people shall hear, and be afraid: sorrow shall take hold on the inhabitants of Palestina.

Then the dukes of Edom shall be amazed; the mighty men of Moab, trembling shall take hold upon them; all the inhabitants of Canaan shall melt away.

Fear and dread shall fall upon them; by the greatness of thine arm they shall be as still as a stone; till thy people pass over, O Lord, till the people pass over, which thou hast purchased.

Thou shalt bring them in, and plant them in the mountain of thine inheritance, in the place, O Lord, which thou hast made for thee to dwell in, in the Sanctuary, O Lord, which thy hands have established.

The Lord shall reign for ever and ever.

Malachi 3: 11 And I will rebuke the devourer (the flesh) for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts.

2 Corinthians Seeing that many glory after the flesh, I will glory also. For ye suffer fools gladly, seeing ye yourselves are wise.

THE FLESH rebuked by the Spirit: Matthew 16 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Peter’s flesh was rebuked by the Spirit for saying to the Lord “you are not going to fulfill the work of the Spirit. I would rather prevent billions of people from having salvation, and keep you here for my sake." The lust of the flesh. The devourer. Yet, unlike Judas (the one the Spirit referred to as “the son of perdition") Peter was tempted by the flesh, rebuked, and then comforted in: Luke 22, “the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou are converted, strengthen thy brethren."

The Lord understood how the adversary works; tempted in the flesh in the wilderness yet overcoming and victorious by the Spirit: (Luke 4) And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

The unrelenting nature of the flesh: Peter’s flesh is rebuked by the Spirit once again in Galatians 2: But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed. For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

Peter stood blamed, in some translations: condemned. Peter stood condemned. Not condemned to hell. Condemned in fault. Condemned in the flesh. Because he rejected the gentiles...not wanting to suffer persecution from the Jews. The lust of the flesh leading.

Not Paul, but the Spirit in Paul was eager to rebuke the flesh.

Peter is the first pope of the Roman Catholic Church. A man tempted by Satan and enticed in the flesh, same as us. A man used to declare Christ. But still a man.

The spiritual church is built and anchored in Peter’s declaration of “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.” The spiritual church is Spirit. The Word is Spirit. The Church is not corruptible flesh, or contained within in a building. How could the church be built on man... Peter?

The church is built on Christ. Spirit.

Matthew 16: 18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

the gates of hell shall not prevail against…SPIRIT.

Corruptible flesh has nothing to do with it. Yes, one day, our flesh will be glorified and we will receive a new glorified body. YOU are also a part of the spiritual church if the Father reveals that Christ IS: "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God."

The Catholic papacy operates in the flesh. Not spirit. The Catholic papacy promotes flesh. They prevent people from receiving Christ so they can glory in the flesh, so they can glory in what man can do, so man (lust) can get more of what he wants…which is more of this world. The cup is shiny; “inside are dead bones”. Love does not seek His own.

The Spirit provokes a man to love.

Satan provokes a man to flesh.

Matthew 23: 14 (new international version) Woe unto you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.”

Speaking of Christ:

Luke 4: 32 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.

Luke 15: 30 But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 23: 14 Woe unto you, scribes, and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

The devourer is the flesh. Flesh provoked by the father of all corruptible flesh: satan.
On Point, and correct. that's why satan is called a dragon, because he devour his prey whole. just like some snakes, which also the devil is called, which also are poisonous. yes, those Pharisees, and scribes, those snakes that "evil" generation. scripture, Luke 3:7 "Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?". for the devil comes but to steal, kill, and destroy.

in agreement with you on Christ, a good devouring is sometimes needed. scripture, Revelation 11:5 "And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed". GLORY to God. the word of God is a fire in the mouth of his chosen. Jeremiah 5:14 "Wherefore thus saith the LORD God of hosts, Because ye speak this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them".

Good post V, and may God bless you.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone that attempts to restore the torn veil between The LORD (in flesh Jesus Christ) and His body by works of the flesh is in promotion of the Harlot. The whore we are called to come out of. Which would be ANY doctrine that is in opposition with the freedom of Jesus Christ.

Fellowship has been restored.

"It is finished."

There are countless doctrines that promote self. Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to have fellowship with GOD. David foresaw The LORDs work "it is finished" and they waited on the promise. Noah. Moses. Enoch...

Faith.
Restored relationship through Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Helen and 101G

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus
you know, while reading your posting this verse stood out:

Fear and dread shall fall upon them; by the greatness of thine arm they shall be as still as a stone; till thy people pass over, O Lord, till the people pass over, which thou hast purchased.

the souls that are coming to the Lord today since Jesus ascended are doing just that, what is to come, is being held back until the last soul crosses.

someone I know pointed this out some time back that when Jesus was doing this:

Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. 17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, 18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, 19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. 20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears. 22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?

if you notice, He stop in the middle of the verse, it reads like this:

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; 2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

so the point is that the acceptable year of the Lord is proclaimed, but the day of vengeance of our God isn't proclaimed yet. hence that is being held back, until the last soul crosses. we are essentially standing in the middle of the fulfillment of that statement.

that might be a little off subject, but hey, why not.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@V, notice this if you will. another word for devour is consume. and our God is a consuming Fire that destroys the wicked, his enemies. it is in this fashion that the wicked must be killed. listen to Revelation 11:5 "And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed". now this is a game changer, because the two witness are John the baptist, and the Lord Jesus the Christ which I have assessed and confirmed. and the FIRE is metaphorically spoken of as the Word of God. scripture, Jeremiah 5:14 "Wherefore thus saith the LORD God of hosts, Because ye speak this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them".
this have been in the back of my mind for years as how the fire of God is metaphorically spoken of as the Word of God. and it is the word of God who bring wrath that is yet to come. so this open up to me a new avenue to go down. I'm going to go to the Lord with this first.

be blessed.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus
you know, while reading your posting this verse stood out:

the souls that are coming to the Lord today since Jesus ascended are doing just that, what is to come, is being held back until the last soul crosses.

someone I know pointed this out some time back that when Jesus was doing this:

Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. 17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, 18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, 19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. 20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears. 22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?

if you notice, He stop in the middle of the verse, it reads like this:

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; 2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

so the point is that the acceptable year of the Lord is proclaimed, but the day of vengeance of our God isn't proclaimed yet. hence that is being held back, until the last soul crosses. we are essentially standing in the middle of the fulfillment of that statement.

that might be a little off subject, but hey, why not.

I understood and no, it is not off topic. If it is off topic: it is still discussing Him.

The call to repentance:
Zephaniah 2:1-3 KJV
[1] Gather yourselves together, yea, gather together, O nation not desired; [2] Before the decree bring forth, before the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of the Lord come upon you, before the day of the Lord's anger come upon you. [3] Seek ye the Lord , all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the Lord's anger.

And then this you spoke as of as being not yet proclaimed?
The future of Jerusalem:
Zephaniah 3:8-9 KJV
[8] Therefore wait ye upon me, saith the Lord , until the day that I rise up to the prey: for my determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them mine indignation, even all my fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of my jealousy. [9] For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord , to serve him with one consent.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DPMartin:

I read this yesterday:
Isaiah 51:10-11 KJV
[10] Art thou not it which hath dried the sea, the waters of the great deep; that hath made the depths of the sea a way for the ransomed to pass over? [11] Therefore the redeemed of the Lord shall return, and come with singing unto Zion; and everlasting joy shall be upon their head: they shall obtain gladness and joy; and sorrow and mourning shall flee away.

Isaiah 51:22-23 KJV
[22] Thus saith thy Lord the Lord , and thy God that pleadeth the cause of his people, Behold, I have taken out of thine hand the cup of trembling, even the dregs of the cup of my fury; thou shalt no more drink it again: [23] But I will put it into the hand of them that afflict thee; which have said to thy soul, Bow down, that we may go over: and thou hast laid thy body as the ground, and as the street, to them that went over.

speaking of crossing over: Isaiah 51: 10-11. Was the parting of the sea giving us a clear picture/foreshadow of the ransomed crossing over, and what comes once God no longer restrains?

Last edited: