the difference in faith and beliefs

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"faith" in Scripture is often (and on purpose, imo) translated "belief," but beliefs are not faith, even though one might have faith in their beliefs. So the relationship is not always clear.
I'll go dig up the relevant Strong's if no one beats me to it. Faith is "pistis" and beliefs are usually from paradosis, but may also be from leqach, and maybe others.

This search of "belief" will highlight how often "faith" is actually translated "belief," if you follow the links for any of the vv listed, as i will do for the first one here for example;

2Thess2:13
But we must always thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God has chosen you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and through belief in the truth. 2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as firstfruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.

wherein we can see in the Lex for the verse that the truer reading would be "faith in the truth."

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
good subject bbyrd009

in the KJV OT faith is only found twice, were as faith is found in the NT 245 times, but trust is found in the OT 107 times and in the NT 27 times.

trust is a part of the English word faith

primary definition in the OED, the use of this definition in England goes back to 1300 ad:

I. Belief, trust, confidence.

1. a. Confidence, reliance, trust (in the ability, goodness, etc., of a person; in the efficacy or worth of a thing; or in the truth of a statement or doctrine). Const. in, †of. In early use, only with reference to religious objects; this is still the prevalent application, and often colours the wider use.

that's where you want to start from. also you can go to the lexicon of Hebrew to English and also Greek to English there is one online specifically for the bible (sorry don't remember where it is), but you might also take into consideration, if my memory serves, the translators also used the Latin translation in their work.

anyways the reason for knowing the use/definition of the word in its origin culture and the same culture that translated it is simply to have some understanding of what the translators were thinking. that's important because they knew much more about the language then we will ever know, but to put it simply faith is the culmination of belief and trust

if you don't trust some one then you won't believe a single thing they say, whether it be true or not.
but on the other hand if you believe something is true, then you will act on it, therefore trust what you believe.

the garden and who put what trust into what ever who said has everything to do with what happened afterwards. because they acted on what they believed to be true.