The Doctrine of Baptisms

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Doctrine of Baptisms:
(Hebrews 6:2)

Baptisms God does upon us after we have received God’s grace through faith:
(According to His Word):

#1. The Holy Spirit baptizes us into Jesus Christ and the church at salvation “For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body...” (1 Corinthians 12:13). The head of the body is Jesus Christ (Colossians 1:18).

#2. Jesus baptizes us into the Holy Ghost, “he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost..” (Matthew 3:11). This is the downpayment of our inheritance (Ephesians 1:14).

#3. Jesus baptizes us with fire over the whole course of our life (i.e. Jesus tests our faith, and refines us to live a holy life) (Matthew 3:11). I see this as a part of the Sanctification Process over the course of our lives as believers to live a holy life and or as different testings of our faith by the Lord to refine us and to purge the branch to bring forth more fruit. As the silversmith uses fire to purge the dross from the precious metal, so the Lord seeks to remove sin from a believer’s life (Psalms 66:10; Proverbs 17:3). His fire cleanses and refines. “That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:” (1 Peter 1:7).

Baptism of Jesus that was a part of fulfilling all righteousness:
(This is a part of our believing Jesus is the spotless Lamb who died in our place):

#4. Jesus' baptism in the Jordan river to fulfill all righteousness. “Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.” (Matthew 3:13-15).

Baptism of Noah (A Figurative Type):
(Showing us the parallel between Noah & his family being saved by water vs. how baptism saves us in having an answer of a good conscience towards God):

#5. 1 Peter 3:21 says: “The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:”

I believe Noah and his family were saved by the water in the sense that the old evil world of sinful people were erased from their past (never to be remembered again because they had been washed away by the flood waters). They were saved by water by never again seeing these evil people. They no longer had to deal with their sins being pushed on them anymore. This is a parallel of our being water baptized in that we are giving an answer to God in having an already clean conscience before Him. Meaning, we do not have to recall our past life of sin because it has been forgiven (never to be remembered), and we can declare to God our conscience is clean (our past life of sin is washed away).

Baptisms that Apply as a Form of Performance or Work in the Christian Life:

#6. Water baptism in the name of Jesus. This is the one baptism in Ephesians 4:5. (Note: Matthew 28:19 is saying to be baptized in the name (singular) that represents all three persons of the Godhead or Trinity; This name is Jesus. For the fulness of the Godhead dwells in the man Christ Jesus - Colossians 2:9, and Jesus is the name above all names - Philippians 2:9. Believers should be baptized in the name of Jesus just as the apostles had done with others. To see the symbolic picture of water baptism check out my post #3 below.

#7. Baptism unto death, “But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.” Matthew 20:22. Luke 12:50 says, “But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!” Just as Jesus partook of the baptism of death by dying on the cross for us, we are also to die to ourselves.

Baptisms that Do not Apply as a Form of Performance or Work in the Christian Life:

#8. The baptism unto Moses: “And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea” (1 Corinthians 10:2).

#9. Baptisms of the Levite Priests (See: Exodus 29:4) (Leviticus 8:6).
Part 1 of Old Covenant or Jewish "diverse washings" (which include OT baptisms) mentioned in Hebrews 9:10 that do not apply to us New Covenant believers.

#10. Baptisms of Lepers (See: Leviticus 14:8-9) (2 Kings 5:10-14).
Part 2 of the Old Covenant or Jewish “diverse washings” (Which include OT baptisms) mentioned in Hebrews 9:10 that do not apply to us New Covenant believers.

#11. The baptism of John with water unto repentance “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance:” (Matthew 3:11). Note: This baptism applied only to those believers during the time of Jesus before the cross. Note 2: Christians who have time to live out their faith do need to repent, though. For, “God…now commandeth all men every where to repent…” (See: Acts of the Apostles 17:30).

#12. The Baptism of Healing in the Pool of Bethesda (See: John 5:1-9).
Important Note: Please keep in mind that the healing of the Lord Jesus Christ is far superior.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If anybody wants to share something, it would be appreciated.

May the Lord Jesus bless you all.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some Christian websites mention a “baptism of the dead” from 1 Corinthians 15:29; They think this is a completely different baptism but there is not enough information on it to talk about it. But this is simply a lack of their not understanding Scripture.

Romans 6:3-9 gives us the symbolic picture and reason behind baptism. When many in the early church first received Christ, they were quickly water baptized thereafter. When they did this, they were also symbolically being baptized into Christ’s death (i.e. likeness of his death - See: Romans 6:5). I say it is symbolic because walking in newness of life in Romans 6:4 is compared to the likeness (symbolic picture or parallel) of the resurrection (Romans 6:5).

Anyways, the baptism of the dead in 1 Corinthians 15:29 is the symbolic picture of our dying with Christ when we partake of our baptism (i.e. water baptism done in the name of Jesus).

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I originally had 9 baptisms on my list. I have now updated this to 12.

May the love of the Lord Jesus Christ shine upon you all this fine day.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
The Bible does not contradict itself, so how does one rectify the plural baptisms of Heb 6:2 to Paul saying there is ONE singular baptism in Eph 4:5?

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible does not contradict itself, so how does one rectify the plural baptisms of Heb 6:2 to Paul saying there is ONE singular baptism in Eph 4:5?
I believe the one baptism is in context to something we need to do. This is water baptism (According to the context of Ephesians 4:5) and it is a symbolic picture we must partake in if we live out our faith that represents the reality of our being buried (or crucified) with Christ by our life long actions until the end. Baptism symbolizes death. Death to ourselves (of which we need to live out in our faith by following His Word).

In Romans 6: It talks about Walking in newness of life as being symbolic (or in the likeness) of the resurrection. Walking in newness of life is different than the act of water baptism. Walking in newness of life (living righteously - like helping the poor, preaching the gospel, loving the brethren in deeds) is the symbolic picture of the resurrection. Every righteous action a believer does for the LORD is putting on Christ or clothing oneself with Christ. Romans 13:14 says, “But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.” This includes even baptism (That we must partake of as a part of living out our faith). This is why Galatians 3:27 says, “many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ” (i.e. you have clothed yourself with Christ). But baptism is just one link in the chain of our righteous acts we need to do for the LORD After we are saved by God’s grace without works (Ephesians 2:8-9) (Titus 3:5). This is why Paul and Silas told the jail keeper to just believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved and they did not tell him to come to their house to baptized in order to be saved (i.e. saved initially).

But baptism is a righteous act that is about crucifying yourself, and or being buried with Christ. Other righteous acts we do are symbolic of the resurrection.

Now, some may say baptism means being born of water but baptism symbolizes death in Scripture and not life. For if there is no resurrection then we are yet still in our sins. If we die to ourselves but don’t live righteously (walking in newness of life is likeness of resurrection - Romans 6)… we are not going to make it into the Kingdom.

Being born of water is being born by the Word of God (The Scriptures). Scripture describes how there is the washing of the WATER of the Word in Ephesians 5:25-27 (Which is Scripture). Jesus said His words are spirit (spiritual) and they are life. Peter talks about how we are born not of corruptible seed but by the incorruptible seed which is the Word of God (See: 1 Peter 1:23, 2 Peter 2:2). For faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17). The Scriptures become alive to a person when they are born again and they regard the Bible as the very words of God (See: 1 Thessalonians 2:13).

Last edited:

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(According to His Word):

#1. The Holy Spirit baptizes us into Jesus Christ and the church at salvation “For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body...” (1 Corinthians 12:13). The head of the body is Jesus Christ (Colossians 1:18).

#2. Jesus baptizes us into the Holy Ghost, “he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost..” (Matthew 3:11). This is the downpayment of our inheritance (Ephesians 1:14).

#3. Jesus baptizes us with fire over the whole course of our life (i.e. Jesus tests our faith, and refines us to live a holy life) (Matthew 3:11). I see this as a part of the Sanctification Process over the course of our lives as believers to live a holy life and or as different testings of our faith by the Lord to refine us and to purge the branch to bring forth more fruit. As the silversmith uses fire to purge the dross from the precious metal, so the Lord seeks to remove sin from a believer’s life (Psalms 66:10; Proverbs 17:3). His fire cleanses and refines. “That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:” (1 Peter 1:7).

(This is a part of our believing Jesus is the spotless Lamb who died in our place):

#4. Jesus' baptism in the Jordan river to fulfill all righteousness. “Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.” (Matthew 3:13-15).

(Showing us the parallel between Noah & his family being saved by water vs. how baptism saves us in having an answer of a good conscience towards God):

#5. 1 Peter 3:21 says: “The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:”

I believe Noah and his family were saved by the water in the sense that the old evil world of sinful people were erased from their past (never to be remembered again because they had been washed away by the flood waters). They were saved by water by never again seeing these evil people. They no longer had to deal with their sins being pushed on them anymore. This is a parallel of our being water baptized in that we are giving an answer to God in having an already clean conscience before Him. Meaning, we do not have to recall our past life of sin because it has been forgiven (never to be remembered), and we can declare to God our conscience is clean (our past life of sin is washed away).

#6. Water baptism in the name of Jesus. This is the one baptism in Ephesians 4:5. (Note: Matthew 28:19 is saying to be baptized in the name (singular) that represents all three persons of the Godhead or Trinity; This name is Jesus. For the fulness of the Godhead dwells in the man Christ Jesus - Colossians 2:9, and Jesus is the name above all names - Philippians 2:9. Believers should be baptized in the name of Jesus just as the apostles had done with others. To see the symbolic picture of water baptism check out my post #3 below.

#7. Baptism unto death, “But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.” Matthew 20:22. Luke 12:50 says, “But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!” Just as Jesus partook of the baptism of death by dying on the cross for us, we are also to die to ourselves and endure to the end to be saved.

Baptisms that Do not Apply as a Form of Performance or Work in the Christian Life:

#8. The baptism unto Moses: “And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea” (1 Corinthians 10:2).

Part 1 of Old Covenant or Jewish "diverse washings" (which include OT baptisms) mentioned in Hebrews 9:10 that do not apply to us New Covenant believers.

Part 2 of the Old Covenant or Jewish “diverse washings” (Which include OT baptisms) mentioned in Hebrews 9:10 that do not apply to us New Covenant believers.

#11. The baptism of John with water unto repentance “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance:” (Matthew 3:11). Note: This baptism applied only to those believers during the time of Jesus before the cross. Note 2: Christians who have time to live out their faith do need to repent, though. For, “God…now commandeth all men every where to repent…” (See: Acts of the Apostles 17:30).

Important Note: Please keep in mind that the healing of the Lord Jesus Christ is far superior.
Your 1st point is not really accurate and is therefore misleading and can skew your understanding of baptism. See the interlinear as well as other translations other than the kjv. The interlinear says in one spirit, not by. Makes a difference.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John the Baptist said that baptism that one needs or should desire is the one which comes through Jesus who baptisms in the Holy Spirit and fire.

This is similar to the dove that falls on the Holy One Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell with-in us, according to the Bible and what it states. The Spirit of Christ also starts to be birthed and grows when a person grows from a Child of God, to a Son or Daughter who is mature in Christ.

No one ever gets it right away, it is a time process like a seed that grows, sometimes the plant can be scrotched out, or the world overtakes our attention rather than allowing our attention to be focused on the Heavenly, the what is to come in hope that one day we will be with God and not here. To have love for God first, and love for others along the way sharing Jesus as the answer to spiritual peace with God, though we break down and die in this world through sickness, and death, and suffer through problems with others or family.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your 1st point is not really accurate and is therefore misleading andcsn skee your understanding of baptism. See the interlinear as well as other translations other than the kjv. The interlinear says in one spirit, not by. Makes a difference.
I believe God preserved His words today because that is what is said in Scripture.
We are living in the last days where many have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof. 20% Americans only believe the Bible is the literal Word of God. Narrowing that down, I don’t believe all of these 20% believe in a perfect infallible Bible that they can hold in their hands. Narrowing that down even more, there are those who speak against certain verses because they don’t like what they say. I am simple. I believe God’s Word. For God has chosen the foolish things of this world to confound the wise. Nobody would ever expect that God would have chosen Elizabethan English to preserve His words in today. That would be foolishness to them. But I believe Psalms 12:6-7 (Which is altered in Modern Bibles). In other words, my authority is the Bible and not the scholars or the Alexandrian manuscripts that seek to change or corrupt God’s Word. So our faith will be different. You have faith in scholars and the Alexandrian manuscripts. I have faith in God’s Word as it is written. We are all supposed to be speaking the same thing and we are to speak in accordance to what is written (See: 1 Corinthians 1:10, and 2 Corinthians 4:13). If you were to read 2 Corinthians 4:13 and 1 Corinthians 1:10, you would realize that there is not one nailed down set of God’s words for you to believe in. The Alexandrian manuscripts all say something a little bit differently and the Nestle and Aland text is constantly changing every few years. So one never truly has the exact words of God. But I do. Therein lies the difference between us.

I just read and believe the following verses plainly.

“For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body...” (1 Corinthians 12:13).

”And he is the head of the body, the church:” (Colossians 1:18).

I am sorry you cannot believe what is written.
Remember, God has chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith (According to James).
The poor guy on the street is not going to generally have access to interlinears, etcetera.
He will just read the Bible plainly in the English, and believe it.

Side Note:

I also believe Colossians 2:12 talks about a spiritual baptism (which parallels the spiritual circumcision in verse 11).

Colossians 2:11-12 says:

11 ”In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:​
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.”​

For we were buried with Christ spiritually in a spiritual baptism (Which is explained in 1 Corinthians 12:13).
Water baptism is only symbolic of the inward reality that took place before it when we accepted Jesus Christ as our Savior by faith.
Water baptism does not spiritually change you or help you to be buried with Christ spiritually.
It is only the inward working of God that this is so.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(According to His Word):

#7. Baptism unto death, “But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.” Matthew 20:22. Luke 12:50 says, “But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!” Just as Jesus partook of the baptism of death by dying on the cross for us, we are also to die to ourselves and endure to the end to be saved.

Baptism of God's people really started with John the Baptist BH, it was not a practice among us until Jesus came on the scene sir.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Warning to fellow Christians:

Robert Gwin is a Jehovah’s Witness (JW) and not a Bible alone believing Christian.
Christians should not fellowship with them in a normal Bible discussion but they should rebuke them.
If you want to learn more about why the JW religion is false, check out this thread here:

Reasons why the Jehovah’s Witness Religion is False

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
I believe the one baptism is in context to something we need to do. This is water baptism (According to the context of Ephesians 4:5) and it is a symbolic picture we must partake in if we live out our faith that represents the reality of our being buried (or crucified) with Christ by our life long actions until the end. Baptism symbolizes death. Death to ourselves (of which we need to live out in our faith by following His Word).
I see that the "baptisms" (washings) of Heb 6:2 of the OT were used as a "figure" or foreshadow of things to come in the NT, that is, those Hebrews were taught about the ONE saving water baptism of the great commission from those OT washings.

Beginning with the one baptism of Eph 4:5:

The NT clearly speaks of different kinds of baptism, the baptism of Moses, baptism with the HS, the baptism with fire, baptism of the great commission, etc. Yet Paul is not arguing there is one kind of baptism in EPh 4:5 for that would be an obvious contradiction with the rest of the NT. A theme of Eph 4 is to bring unity among Christians, to have Christians unified in the calling they had received, v1 and keep the unity of the Spirit, v2. Hence Paul speaks of that unity in terms of the number one.....there is one Lord, one God, one faith, one baptism, etc.

Even though there be kinds godS and lordS (1 Cor 8:5) there is but one God and one Lord that saves uniting all Christians in this common salvation found in Christ.

In James 2:14...if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? Here James speaks of a kind of faith that cannot save. Though there be many kinds of faithS that cannot save, Paul speaks of just one faith that does save (Rom 5:1-2).

Though there by many kinds of baptisms mentioned in the NT, Paul in Eph 4:5 is speaking of that one baptism that does save, that unites all Christians in Christ, (Gal 3:27-28)..."all one in Jesus Christ".

That one baptism being the water baptism of the great commission which is commanded to all men, that makes one a disciple, that saves, that lasts till the end of time, which is how one obeys the gospel of Christ (2 Thess 1:8) to then walk in newness of life (Rom 6:3-5) that unites "all one in Jesus Christ" (Gal 3:27-28).

The baptisms of Hebrews 6:2:
"Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment."

1) the KJV uses the word "baptisms" here while it uses the word "washings" in Heb 9:10 though both verses have the same Greek word baptismos. Hence there is the "doctrine of washings".

2) from the context of Heb 9 we have:

"....while as the first tabernacle was yet standing: Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation."

Hence these divers washings were a figure, a foreshawdow of "things to come" (Heb 10:1)

3) The book of Hebrews was written to Hebrew Christians who had not spiritually grown as they should (Heb 5:12) and needed to be taught again the first principles of God. They needed to leave "the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment."

From the contexts, these Hebrews had been taught these principles (repentance, faith, washings, etc) from the OT law, the oracles of God (Heb 5:12). It was Paul's usual manner when he went to a new city he would find the synagogue and reason with them out of the scritptures (Acts 17:2) with the term "scriptures" here referring to the OT law of Moses. Hence these Hebrews were taught these NT principles from the OT law for the OT law was a schoolmaster to being men to Christ (Gal 3:24). At the very beginning of the church/Christianity, the NT had not yet all been written, a time "before faith came" (Gal 3:23). But after that faith had been completed (perfected) by the end of the first century there was no need for that schoolmaster and it was taken out of the way by Christ (Eph 2:14-16).

4) from the information given, these Hebrews were taught about the principles of NT Christian (Heb 6:1-2) from the OT law of Moses. They were taught about this one baptism from those washings in the OT that were a "figure to come" (Heb 10:1) in the NT, those washings were a figure to come of that one NT baptism that would unite all in the same common salvation in Christ.

Under the OT law, before the Priests could enter the Temple they had to first cleanse themselves in a bronze laver of water that stood at the entrance. In Titus 3:5 and Eph 5:26 Paul used the terms "washing of regeneration" and "washing of water" referring to water baptism. The underlying Greek word for washing is loutron referring to a laver of water. As Coffman's Commentary makes the point:

"The analogy in the Christian religion is the baptistery, the same being the only laver connected with the holy faith, and being the place where sinners are cleansed and justified prior to their entry into the true sanctuary, which is the Lord's church. The use of the term laver is very fortunate, because the primary meaning of it, in context, is the baptistery, standing in a figure (metonymy) for baptism, for which alone a baptistery is used, and adequately translated as "washing." But please note the significance of this. It is a thundering, emphatic denial of the nonsense that "The washing referred to is wholly spiritual." Is a baptistery needed for that?"

Therefore those Hebrews were taught about the NT baptism of the great commission by be shown a 'figure" "of things to come" from those OT washings of Priests having to cleanse themselves in a laver of water before entering the temple. Those washings being a foreshadow of NT water baptism where one must be immersed in water and cleansed of his sins by the blood of Christ before can enter the church.

"It is further noteworthy that the author in Hebrews 6.2 does not use the word, baptisma (neuter; regularly used in the New Testament for Christian baptism, and John’s baptism), but, baptismos (masculine). This same word is used of the Jewish ritual-purification of vessels — the “washing (baptismos) of cups, pitchers, copper vessels, and couches” (Mark 7.4) — and again in Hebrews 9.10, where the Old Covenant was “concerned only with foods and drinks, various washings (baptismos), and fleshly ordinances imposed until the time of reformation (i.e., the Christian age).”

"Thus, the Old Testament teachings of baptisms paved the way for Christ and the New Testament — they were “symbolic for the present time” (Heb. 9.9) — serving as a foundation for Christianity and the “washing (loutron—bathing) of regeneration” (Titus 3.5), or baptism in water “for the remission of sins” (Acts 2.38; 8.36ff; 22.16). The Hebrew Christians didn’t understand this point, and sought to leave Christ and go back to Moses. This was foolish, dangerous, and unnecessary."

"No passage of Scripture, in its proper contextual light, has ever been shown to contradict another. While there is only “one baptism” which unites us in a common calling (Eph. 4.1-5), there are many other kinds of baptisms which serve other purposes as well (e.g., Hebrews 6.2)."

"Jewish baptisms, in particular, served as a “foundation” for the Christian era, enabling the Jewish people to comprehend the connection between faith, cleansing, and water in divine service, preparing them ultimately for Christ and eternal salvation.
"
Aaron Purvis; "Let Us Reason"

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see that the "baptisms" (washings) of Heb 6:2 of the OT were used as a "figure" or foreshadow of things to come in the NT, that is, those Hebrews were taught about the ONE saving water baptism of the great commission from those OT washings.

Beginning with the one baptism of Eph 4:5:

The NT clearly speaks of different kinds of baptism, the baptism of Moses, baptism with the HS, the baptism with fire, baptism of the great commission, etc. Yet Paul is not arguing there is one kind of baptism in EPh 4:5 for that would be an obvious contradiction with the rest of the NT. A theme of Eph 4 is to bring unity among Christians, to have Christians unified in the calling they had received, v1 and keep the unity of the Spirit, v2. Hence Paul speaks of that unity in terms of the number one.....there is one Lord, one God, one faith, one baptism, etc.

Even though there be kinds godS and lordS (1 Cor 8:5) there is but one God and one Lord that saves uniting all Christians in this common salvation found in Christ.

In James 2:14...if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? Here James speaks of a kind of faith that cannot save. Though there be many kinds of faithS that cannot save, Paul speaks of just one faith that does save (Rom 5:1-2).

Though there by many kinds of baptisms mentioned in the NT, Paul in Eph 4:5 is speaking of that one baptism that does save, that unites all Christians in Christ, (Gal 3:27-28)..."all one in Jesus Christ".

That one baptism being the water baptism of the great commission which is commanded to all men, that makes one a disciple, that saves, that lasts till the end of time, which is how one obeys the gospel of Christ (2 Thess 1:8) to then walk in newness of life (Rom 6:3-5) that unites "all one in Jesus Christ" (Gal 3:27-28).

The baptisms of Hebrews 6:2:
"Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment."

1) the KJV uses the word "baptisms" here while it uses the word "washings" in Heb 9:10 though both verses have the same Greek word baptismos. Hence there is the "doctrine of washings".

…..
Peter says baptism saves us not for the putting away of the filth of the flesh in 1 Peter 3:21.
Focus on the words “filth of the flesh” and what that could mean according to the Bible elsewhere.
According to 2 Corinthians 7:1 a similar phrase is clearly in reference to sin and not dirt.
2 Corinthians 7:1 says let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

So Peter is basically saying, baptism saves us not for the putting away of sin, but it saves us to give an answer to having an already clean and good conscience before God (When we first believed the gospel message in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4). Paul and Silas told the jailor to just believe on Jesus and be saved. They did not say for him to get baptized to be saved. Romans 10:13 says whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. John 1:12 says, “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:” Paul says in Romans 6 that baptism is in the LIKENESS of Christ’s death (See: Romans 6:5). It is symbolic of his death. Baptism represents death, and not life. Yet, you have said before that water baptism is the same thing as being born again (Which is life and not death).

Yes, Christians need to be water baptized as a part of their faith. The just shall live by faith. But Christians are first saved by God’s grace through faith without works (Ephesians 2:8-9). We see this with Cornelius and his household by their receiving of the Spirit (Which is the downpayment of their inheritance). Granted, they must be faithful so as to inherit the Kingdom, but the point you are missing is God’s grace. I mean stop a moment. How can you honestly read and believe Romans 11:6 with a good conscience or without squirming in your seat? If it is grace, it is no more of works (i.e. Works Alone). This was said because of the problem of those who thought they had to be circumcised to saved. The modern day Church of Christ (COC) and the Catholic Church have basically done a similar thing by proposing that baptism (a work) is how one first gets saved. The whole point in Romans 4 shows that circumcision is a work (and Abraham was saved by believing the promise before being circumcised), and circumcision is representative of baptism today. So baptism is a work. We are not saved by works but we are saved by God’s grace when we first come to the LORD.

Let God’s grace shine!

Last edited:

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
20) Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
21) The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Acts 2:38----------------baptized >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> remission of sins
1 Pet 3:21--------------baptism >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> saves
Mk 16:16---------------baptized >>>>>>>>>>>>>> saved

Peter is obviously speaking about the ONE baptism of Eph 4:5 that saves, the baptism of the great comission. This one baptism is not option when it comes to salvation than the one faith of the one Lord are optional when it comes to salvation:
no ONE baptism = no remission of sins Acts 2:38
no ONE faith = no justification Rom 5:1-2
no resurrection of ONE Lord = no resurrection from water baptism to walk in newness of life Rom 6:3-6

===========================

OT type to NT antitype ("like figure")

OT type:----------------Noah saved by water of flood
NT antitype:--------us saved by water of baptism

In my last post I pointed out how those OT washings, as when the Priests had to cleanse themselves in a laver of water before entering the tabernacle, was a foreshadow to NT water baptism of the great commission where one must be cleansed of his sins in water baptism before entering the church. NT water baptism of the great commission cannot be said to be optional or not essential when it is the NT pattern of that OT washing that foreshadowed it.

=========================

"baptism now saves us"

Obviously this baptism is water baptism as shown above where the OT tyep is Noah saved by water and the NT antitype is us saved by water where the antitype (saved by water) is a mirror reflection of the OT trpe (saved by water).
The earth was flooded with water not with Spirit for the type to antitype parallel is NOT Noah saved by water and us saved by Spirit. Baptism with the HS did not save Cornelius but saved by water baptism which parallels to Noah saved by water.

Peter clearly says baptism saves, he did not say baptism doeth NOT save us. This baptism of 1 Pet 3:21 is the same baptism of Acts 2:38 that saves one from sin.

Consider the parallels:
1. The waters of the flood delivered Noah from a corrupt society to a new world----water baptism brings one into a state of newness of life ( Rom:6:3-5 ).
2. Water delivered Noah from a condemned world---baptism delivers us from condemnation ( Mar:16:16 ).
3. The flood separated the saved from the lost---baptism is the line between lost and saved.
4. The flood wasn’t the Savior, but the instrument or means of deliverance---water baptism isn’t the Savior, rather it is the last condition prior to salvation.
(Dunagan's Commentary)

========================

"putting away filth of the flesh"

Those Jewish OT washings cleansed the flesh yet NT baptism cleanses away sin. Which further makes it clear that water baptism is under consideration here, not baptism with the Holy Spirit. Note that here, nor anywhere else in the NT, is it said there is some efficacy about the water whereby water cleanses away sin. The Bible teaches it is the blood of Christ, not water, that cleanses away sins (Rev 1:5) but this cleansing away of sins by the blood of Christ only takes place in water baptism, thus in that sense it is said that water baptism saves.

======================

"appeal to God for a good conscience"

1) this eliminates infant baptism for infants have no sin to be saved from nor have the ability or understanding required for one to make an appeal toward God.

2) Acts 2:38 baptism occurs BEFORE forgiveness/remission of sins therefore those Jews in Acts 2 did not/could not have a clear conscience before baptism. Peter convicted those Jews of their sin of crucifying the Messiah and it pricked their heart, Peter made them aware, conscience of that horrible sin they committed giving them a guilty conscience of that sin prompting them to ask Peter what they must do about that horrible sin. The appeal/craving for that guilty conscience was the command to be baptized for the remission of sins thereby AFTER being baptized the guilty conscience can be cleared.

Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost

Therefore one is baptized IN ORDER to have a good conscience, not BECAUSE one already has a good conscience:

"Similarly, the Greek word here rendered "interrogation" has a number of meanings: "answer," "interrogation," "appeal," "inquiry," "craving," "prayer," and "pledge."[38, Hunter] Three of these meanings, 'appeal', 'craving' and 'prayer', if used in the translation would indicate that baptism is submitted to as a craving, appeal or prayer for a good conscience, whereas the others would be something that a good conscience already received before baptism does. These meanings are antithetical, and the true meaning must be determined by Peter's teaching elsewhere. Did he mean that Christians before they are baptized have already received a good conscience and that their baptism is only the response that a good conscience gives; or did he mean that in order to receive a good conscience one must be baptized? It is the conviction of a lifetime, on the part of this writer, that it is the latter meaning which is true. No man, as long as he has not obeyed the divine commandment to be baptized, can ever have, even if he should live 200 years, a good conscience as long as he is unbaptized. Therefore, full agreement is felt with Nicholson's endorsement of the New American Standard Bible's rendition thus:

And corresponding to that, baptism now saves you - not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience - through the resurrection of Jesus Christ (NASB).

Peter's great Pentecostal sermon has the same meaning, where he declared that believers should repent and be baptized in order to receive the forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:38)."
Coffman Commentary

Again, order of events:
1) Jews were lost in their sins
2) Peter convists those Jews of their sin
3) conscience was pricked
4) asked what they MUST do to be saved from that sin
5) commanded to be baptized in order to obtain forgiveness
6) then conscience cleared

-The context does not allow for a clear conscience BEFORE baptism/remission of sins. If they were saved/had a clear conscience of their sins BEFORE being baptized per verse 38, please pin point the verse prior to verse 38 this occured with contextual proof. Why would Peter tell them to "save yourselves" in v40 if they were ALREADY saved and already had clear conscience of their 'pricked heart' prior to v38?

-The context required those Jews DO something to obtain that clear conscience...."what shall we do?" Peter's response to the question was not have faith only, not say a sinner's prayer, not do no work at all lest you try to merit salvation/remission of sins.

-The context COMMANDED baptism to obtain that clear conscience. How can one have a clear conscience knowing he is living in rebellion, defiance to a command of God?

-Acts 2:41 "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized:" The logical inference is those who rejected Peter's gospel word rejected baptism. Therefore rejecting baptism is the same as rejecting the gospel word. Those baptized in Acts 8:12-13 are the ones who are said to have "received the word of God" verse 14. The Gentiles obeying the command to be water baptized (Acts 10:47-48) was the means in how the Gentiles "received the word of God" (Acts 11:1).

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38----------------baptized >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> remission of sins
1 Pet 3:21--------------baptism >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> saves
Mk 16:16---------------baptized >>>>>>>>>>>>>> saved
Acts 2:38 was to the Jew and not to the Gentile. Jews were already supposed to know God unlike the Gentile.
Also, Acts 2:38 remits sin literally when it comes to repentance (Because Jesus said, “… except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” - Luke 13:3); But baptism only remits sin in a symbolic sense because baptism is in the LIKENESS of Christ’s death. For Romans 6:5 says, “For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death,…”; Mark 16:16 is referring to how one believes the gospel and is saved literally because 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 describes the gospel message and it makes it clear that believing this message is for salvation. But baptism only saves not in the salvific sense but it saves only as giving an answer to God that one has a clean and good conscience to God already by one first exercising their faith in Jesus Christ for salvation. For Peter says, “The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:” (1 Peter 3:21). The filth of the flesh is sin (See: 2 Corinthians 7:1). So baptism does not save us in putting away sin but it saves us for the opportunity in giving an answer to God in that we have a good conscience toward God (Already).

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have a friend who told me she was going to get baptized soon, she is 47 I believe and never done it before. I said that is great, its a good thing to do, and its also reassuring you of your own faith in Christ, that you believe one day will die and resurrect. I think is good for people to willingly independently are moved by the Spirit, to simply go under, just as John had laid Jesus under the water, up and out.

Side notes just to add to this: Though sometimes people fall away even after baptism, the important part is the independent will of the individual to have a desire to seek after God, and that can happen really any given moment of any given day, and stopped if they wanted, even picked up later on in life with their relationship with God.

Cause people can always be so pushy, or say you going to hell if you ain't baptized little woman. -Southern accent like HELL FIRE AND DAMNATION haha those guys did something for the Kingdom I am sure and were saved just like the rest of us are by faith.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Acts 2:38 was to the Jew and not to the Gentile. Jews were already supposed to know God unlike the Gentile.
Also, Acts 2:38 remits sin literally when it comes to repentance (Because Jesus said, “… except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” - Luke 13:3); But baptism only remits sin in a symbolic sense because baptism is in the LIKENESS of Christ’s death. For Romans 6:5 says, “For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death,…”; Mark 16:16 is referring to how one believes the gospel and is saved literally because 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 describes the gospel message and it makes it clear that believing this message is for salvation. But baptism only saves not in the salvific sense but it saves only as giving an answer to God that one has a clean and good conscience to God already by one first exercising their faith in Jesus Christ for salvation. For Peter says, “The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:” (1 Peter 3:21). The filth of the flesh is sin (See: 2 Corinthians 7:1). So baptism does not save us in putting away sin but it saves us for the opportunity in giving an answer to God in that we have a good conscience toward God (Already).

Acts 2:38 Peter was preaching to Jews, the gospel was to first go to the Jew then to the Gentile. And in Acts 10 Peter took the same exact gospel message to the Gentiles as he did to the Jews and that gospel message include the command to be water baptized in the name of the Lord for remission of sins (Acts 2:38; Acts 10:47-48). As Peter explains in Acts 15:11 that Jew and Gentile are saved in a 'like manner' way, that way being water baptism.
Peter reiterates that baptism saves in 1 Pet 3:21 and nothing in the rest of the verse changes the fact that baptism saves therefore no one can be saved apart from baptism. Meaning those Jews in Acts 2 could not have a clear conscience of their sin of crucifying the Christ until they first were baptized receiving remission of those sins.

Again, order of events:
1) Jews were lost in their sins
2) Peter convists those Jews of their sin
3) conscience was pricked
4) asked what they MUST do to be saved from that sin
5) commanded to be baptized in order to obtain forgiveness
6) then conscience cleared

-The context does not allow for a clear conscience BEFORE baptism/remission of sins. If they were saved/had a clear conscience of their sins BEFORE being baptized per verse 38, please pin point the verse prior to verse 38 this occured with contextual proof. Why would Peter tell them to "save yourselves" in v40 if they were ALREADY saved and already had clear conscience of their 'pricked heart' prior to v38?

-The context required those Jews DO something to obtain that clear conscience...."what shall we do?" Peter's response to the question was not have faith only, not say a sinner's prayer, not do no work at all lest you try to merit salvation/remission of sins.

-The context COMMANDED baptism to obtain that clear conscience. How can one have a clear conscience knowing he is living in rebellion, defiance to a command of God?

-Acts 2:41 "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized:" The logical inference is those who rejected Peter's gospel word rejected baptism. Therefore rejecting baptism is the same as rejecting the gospel word. Those baptized in Acts 8:12-13 are the ones who are said to have "received the word of God" verse 14. The Gentiles obeying the command to be water baptized (Acts 10:47-48) was the means in how the Gentiles "received the word of God" (Acts 11:1).

====================================================================

In Mark 16:16 the conjunction 'and' ties belief to baptism making them inseparable, meaning if one does not have to be baptized to be saved then one would not have to believe either. Jn 5:24 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life,..." It takes hearing AND believing to have everlasting life, not just hearing alone.

Reactions: DJT_47